Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on Co Waterford's Villages.

Options
  • 30-08-2011 2:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭

How many county Waterford Villages does not have a catholic Church in them.

Annestown (has C.O.I),
    Helvick
    Baile na nGall
    Bunmahon
    Cheekpoint
    Dunmore East
    Lemybrien
    Villierstown
    Ballymacarbry,
    Millstreet
    Kilmeaden.

Is there more.

I know there might be Catholic Churches elsewhere in the above parish's but not in the actual village.

How many villages in the county does not have a pub.

Did i read somewhere before that it might only be Annestown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DRUMorDIE

Theres a church down in Carbally on the way out to Brownstown Head but its not in a village but its the only church serving the area apart from Tramore or Dunmore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 thegoldenchild

You are right that there is no church in Kilmeaden village itself, but St. Nicholas' church in Ballyduff, Kilmeaden covers most of that area. And yes, I was also told once that Annestown was the only village in Ireland , not just the county, that does not have a pub.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ IIRC Annestown aren't allowed have a pub due to some legal deal going back to Landlord and Tennant times. They were afraid that they would afford to buy there own land off it or something. I think it was banned for like 200 years and they are like 100 into it.

I could have to details wrong but that's the just of the story AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Are Helvick and Baile na nGall considered villages though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

noby wrote: »
    Are Helvick and Baile na nGall considered villages though?

They are considered Fishing Villages anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

ziedth wrote: »
    ^ IIRC Annestown aren't allowed have a pub due to some legal deal going back to Landlord and Tennant times. They were afraid that they would afford to buy there own land off it or something. I think it was banned for like 200 years and they are like 100 into it.

I could have to details wrong but that's the just of the story AFAIK.

I think that when Seaview Celtic FC got their set-up going about 30 years ago it was make clear to them that they could not have a bar in the clubhouse as their pitch was on land from the 'estate'.
    Indeed according to the Copper Coast website the only commercial premises actually in the village is a single B&B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Denver Hall

looking for a place in tramore if anyone knows a number to any landlords would be a great help, me and my fiancee really need to find a place

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

Tig an Cheoil is in Baile na nGall and Tigh Mhuirithe is in Helvick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

joebre wrote: »
    Tig an Cheoil is in Baile na nGall and Tigh Mhuirithe is in Helvick.

...And while they may draw a crowd on a Sunday morning I don't think either of them is technically a Catholic Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Junior

Bonmahon has a church..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I would have thought that Killea church was technically in Dunmore East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 thegoldenchild

Killea and Carbally in Dunmore East both have catholic churches, and serve the Dunmore East area.....Killea would also serve the Woodstown area I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

Junior wrote: »
    Bonmahon has a church..

But not in the village is it, its a little outside it. There is a church close to many of the villages mentioned above.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Church in Stradbally is not really in the village.

Church in Stradbally is not really in the village.

Isn't the COI outside the village a little bit as well. I dont know where it is exactly, think it is down some lane as you come up from the Cove side of the village.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The COI is up "Church lane" (funnily enough!!) and is part of the village,it's up the lane on the right as you go towards the cove (at the little 4 crossroads.)There are houses all the way up so it's part of the village,if not in the main square.
    As far as I'm aware, the Rectory was the big house on the corner of the square,which then became of all things, a holiday home for nuns and then reverted to private ownership.

I presume it was on that side to suit the Woodhouse people. My mother remembers going to a funeral there and then having to absolved by the local bishop for daring to set foot in a COI church!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

How about asking the question how many will have an open church in ten years time.?

wellboytoo wrote: »
    How about asking the question how many will have an open church in ten years time.?

The Churches may be open in ten years time, the question is how many will be going into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

less church's more pubs imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 mhorda

Villerstown has a church, its on the right shortly after you enter through the town gates

• Advertisement

mhorda wrote: »
    Villerstown has a church, its on the right shortly after you enter through the town gates

True, but it is

A) No longer a church, its a community centre or hall

B) It was not built as a Catholic Church, but it was given to the Catholic Church for a short while by the Church of Ireland when the Church of Ireland Community in the Villierstown area fell to so small a number that it was no longer viable to keep it open as Cappoquin, Dungarvan, Lismore and Kilwatermoy were all not that very far away and had larger Church of Ireland communities. Why the Catholic Church needed it i dont know, as in the Roman Catholic Parish is located, there already was churches in Aglish, Ballinameela and Villierstown, none of whom are too far away from Villierstown, and Modeligo, Affane, Cappoquin and Dungarvan are not a million miles away either.

Advertisement