Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Masters AIT

Options
  • 30-08-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Anyone else disappointed in the masters that AIT offer. They dont seem to offer to many which correlate with the courses that they run or masters that are focused at what is going on in industry today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

How so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

they offer a polymer master of which the four years i studied there 2 students came through polymer and 1 dropped out so that only left one who had to change course due to the polymer course getting cancelled. they offer no generic engineering masters which would suit a lot more of there students such as mechanical,electronic, renewable, mechatronics. just my opinion

Yeah you're right mate, i was just too lazy to give examples for your point of view. AIT also offer a Msc in Software Engineering, thats not to say that the college wouldn't benefit for an expansion to there engineering programs, having only two Masters programs for a big engineering department like the one in AIT is a bit slim. Why not put your concerns in a letter to the Head of the engineering department and president ?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

yeah i should i know when i was there a few of us did raise the issue saying we did not want to do ploymer and were not allowed to do software as we did not have the java background. so was there something and the simple answer was no. i thought maybe something would come up after the new campus was built. but i think you are right in saying that i should address the head of department and the president thanks for the advice :D

No drams mate, play the financial angle. The college is loosing out on $$$$ mucho deniro by not offering a wider selection of Msc courses and dont forget to mention the loss of talented students it could be attracting. Im sure they already know and have this information, but you never know this might give someone on one of the boards the ammo needed to speed up or bring to light the topic of a underdeveloped engineering department.

In order for the college to develop it needs both money and top level students, neater of which it can attract with an underdeveloped engineering department. Also, you may step on peoples toes by informing the AIT academia of your concerns, you may want to finish off your letter with a sincere paragraph or two about how you see AIT as a potential leader in the field of providing engineering education. One that could parallel top level Irish education providers such as trinity etc,etc and a developed engineering department would bump AIT higher in the world rankings and also attract more international students << thats where the real money is for any college.

• Advertisement
Advertisement