Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB House Inspection?

Options
  • 30-08-2011 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi
    I have recently become a landlord and registered with the PRTB. They came out without notifing me and did an inspection on my property. I was given a number of things to amend within 6 weeks, second smoke alarm etc which was fair enough.
    However one thing they requested is the Aptartment have a clothes dryer. Now the guy living there doen't even want one as he brings all his clothes home to be washed.
    My question is do the PRTB come back out to do a follow up inspection to check that each finding from their inspection has been dealt with?
    I really don't want to fork out for a dryer when the apt doesn't have the space and he doesn't even want one. I have to send them and the tenant a letter saying each finding is dealt with.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Why don't you get a letter in writing from the tenant stating he does not want a tumble dryer. Then say it to the PRTB and they might let it slide?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

It would obviously still cost you, but I imagine a combined washer/dryer would keep them happy if you were stuck for room in the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭jack_pearse

I could get a letter from my tenant, but I think it's law to have a dryer in an apartment. I might ring them and see could they let it slide.
    The washer/dryer is the route I'd go but it's just the expense and hassle for something the tenant doesn't even want!
    Does anyone know if they do follow up inspections?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

They follow up.

The regs were changed a while ago. The problem with dryers is the vents needed to make sure it isn't a a damp issue.

The property needs it even if your tenant doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

It is a requirement in rental properties that either appropriate place to dry clothes is available or a dryer must be supplied. If there is an area where clothes can be dried or a washing line put up then it shouldn't be a requirement really, what does you tenant currently do?

As a renter I tend to dry clothes on a low unobtrusive clothes horse on the balcony, like your tenant I don't want a dryer, those things cause your ESB bill to shoot through the roof!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mebird

Hi
    I have recently become a landlord and registered with the PRTB. They came out without notifing me and did an inspection on my property.

Surely you are referring to the local authority.

The standards in rented accommodation has nothing to do with the PRTB.

The PRTB deal with matters of national importance such as who said what when they were moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you don't have a garden where the tenant can put up a line to dry clothes, then you need to provide a dryer in the house. Whether it is a stand-alone tumble dryer or a combi washing machine and dryer (which are useless) is up to you.

The only way to look at it is while your current tenant may not want a dryer, the next tenant(s) may, so it's better to have it now than lose out on potential tenants down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I could get a letter from my tenant, but I think it's law to have a dryer in an apartment. I might ring them and see could they let it slide.
    The washer/dryer is the route I'd go but it's just the expense and hassle for something the tenant doesn't even want!
    Does anyone know if they do follow up inspections?

Jack, I don't want to be needlessly confrontational, but you have to accept that there are myriad expenses that are incurred when you become a LL. If you have done your research correctly, you should already be aware of this. Things like this just seem to tumble at you in a never-ending stream, so really you should have contingencies in place for these unforeseen events.

And whilst I understand that your tenant doesn't want a washing machine, I would say that it is a bit of a cheek renting out a place without one. Would you live in a property without a washing machine? I would have thought very few people would be happy with such an arrangement, and even if this chap doesn't need one your next tenant will. I do find it a bit confusing as to what kind of property doesn't have a washer in it in all honesty.

As I say, not trying to start a fight, just calling it as I see it.

convert wrote: »
    If you don't have a garden where the tenant can put up a line to dry clothes, then you need to provide a dryer in the house. Whether it is a stand-alone tumble dryer or a combi washing machine and dryer (which are useless) is up to you.

The only way to look at it is while your current tenant may not want a dryer, the next tenant(s) may, so it's better to have it now than lose out on potential tenants down the line.

Eh...sorry to interrupt again but can someone tell me since when do the PRTB do house inspections ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

mebird wrote: »
    Eh...sorry to interrupt again but can someone tell me since when do the PRTB do house inspections ?

Eh... where in my post did I say that the inspection was carried out by the PRTB?

All I said was that a rental property needs a dryer or a washer/dryer if there is nowhere for the tenant to have a washing line:
    Provide clothes drying facilities if there isn’t a garden or a yard

Source: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

The above is very useful for both landlords and tenants alike.

• Advertisement

convert wrote: »
    Eh... where in my post did I say that the inspection was carried out by the PRTB?

You posted straight after me. I assumed you read my post.

I also assume you read the OP's post.

The OP began this thread saying they got an unscheduled visit from the PRTB.

Surely it is helpful to establish first whether it was the PRTB ( unlikely ) or the local authority ( likely ) so the OP knows who they are dealing with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I have recently become a landlord and registered with the PRTB. They came out without notifing me and did an inspection on my property.
    Part of the fee paid to the PRTB is passed to the Housing Department of the local council to do housing inspections. It is the council that does the inspections.
    mebird wrote: »
    You posted straight after me.
    I'm sure it was merely a coincidence. The user convert was responding generally, not to you specifically.

Advertisement