Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulishing in MS Word??

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

One place I worked in, we created technical documents, and create a house styles, and automated, templates, forms in Word. Then ran training courses on how to use them for all the writers. I think that kind of approach is something like best practice if using word in depth a lot in a organisations.

I assume you'd do something similar for LaTeX, if you wanted consistency from everyone in the same organisation. Theres different editors for LaTeX I think yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

BostonB wrote: »
    I assume you'd do something similar for LaTeX, if you wanted consistency from everyone in the same organisation. Theres different editors for LaTeX I think yes?

Exactly, you'd define class files in LaTeX to do the same job as templates in Word. Users basically enter plain text (with markups where needed), which LaTeX processes and then spit out the formatted doc. Lots of journals supply these class files, so you just need to enter the plain text and let LaTeX work out the formatting.

I'm guessing you could easily pull in data from multiple sources automatically but haven't done this personally.

Pretty much any editor will work for LaTeX, it's just marked-up text.

In theory you could use word.... :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

vi ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The best one to use then is the one that works best for you I guess. :)

Advertisement