Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First ski holiday and with a toddler....

Options
  • 30-08-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi a group of us are interested in going on a skiing holiday early next year, none of us have been skiing before and i also have a toddler.. is it a crazy idea to go on that type of holiday with a toddler?! does anyone have any recommendations on a good suitable family friendly area to go to?
    (that doesnt have a very long flight journey also would be great..)

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

In order to head off a repeat of the toddler/Disneyland thread, I'm sending this straight to Parenting so that people with experience of travelling to all sorts of places with kids can offer constructive advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bourgie

A good family friendly resort is Les Gets in France- about 90min transfer from Geneva. It's also good for beginners, with lots of green and blue slopes.

Bringing a toddler...depends. I spent a lot of time fighting to put on sunglasses and obviously someone had to look after them, so it can mean you don't get to ski. If you hire a chalet at least the evenings can be shared with a group. There are lots of great mountain walks in les gets, you can hire a kind of push sleigh for toddlers which is fun. You can also get a cable car to the slopes in some resorts so whoever is minding can meet the others for lunch & drinks.

Ski schools have snow gardens where kids can learn to use skis but you need to be 3yrs or over.

Look at the family section at lesgets.com. I think the main issue will be that the others will be having a different holiday and as long as you can deal with that, it will be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Been skiing before children and once since having them. Going on a skiing holiday with them is do-able.

If they are just toddlers/babies they won't be learning to ski yet. So your biggest issue will be who minds them while you ski. Some resorts have creches you can book into.

A really good option is to go with other people with child/children and take turns minding. For example 2 families with 1/2 children each, each parent takes half day turns. So you would miss total of 1.5 days skiing over 6 days. I'm happier leaving my children with friends then in a new crèche plus it's much cheaper.

Après ski-obviously with a small child you won't be able to take part as much. Depends on what type of holiday you're looking for.

One last point-often ski resorts and accommodation are pretty basic. How will you feel if you are stuck in a small hotel room all day with the child? And it may be boring for the child. Need to check room facilities and the activities you could do with them. An apartment or chalet holiday may be a better option.

Advertisement