Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Styling Ideas for Curly Hair

• 30-08-2011 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Ok so I have ridiculously curly hair. I usually just mousse it and pin the very front into a backcombed quiff. I feel that this looks messy and hate that I can't do anything with my hair.

For a while I used a curler to define my curls more and even tried a relaxing treatment from my local salon to make it easier to manage and therefore style but it was no good.

Are there any quick and easy hairstyles for someone with naturally curly hair to do that end up looking chic and stylish not messy and like you don't care about your appearance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

I've mad curly hair too.. I used to hate it! Got me a lot of slagging in secondary school so used to straighten it all the time :(

I find that brushing it in the shower before you wash out the conditioner helps, so don't brush it when you get it. the only time I brush my curly hair is in the shower.

Don't go near it with a towel either.. just wrap it around and squeeze out the excess water.

I use John Frieda styling curl control gel, frizz serum and a Toni&Guy product called twist it curl balm. rub some in your hands and scrunch up the hair. Sometimes a loreal mousse if I feel like it!
    I know it's a lot of products but when boots do 3for2 you save a bit. and they're well worth the money.

Then just let it dry naturally(to save time!) or use a diffuser, ON LOW POWER. i find that if you use it on high power your hair just turns into a big frizzball!

Then when I wake up in the morning and don't have time for a shower or whatever, I just dampen it with water and then put some of the John Frieda serum through it.

Hope this helps a bit, I know it helps me a lot! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Good advice from OkayWhatever. :)

I'd recommend throwing your hairbrush out entirely, and just use a wide-tooth comb with your conditioner.

Also experiment with products, I enjoy a good chat about products with other curlies (and have been known to get into 20 minute heart-to-hearts in pub toilets on a Saturday night when I meet a fellow curly! Each person seems to like their own combo. I've fed my hair with all sorts of expensive treats over the years, but it likes Boots own brand mousse the best, costs 1.50 and lasts 4-6 weeks.

You also need to find a hairdresser who understands curls. Mine is a magician - when she cuts my hair she doesn't take too much length off, and instead takes the 'weight' off. I think what she's doing is taking out subtle layers so that my hair doesn't look as big.

My final piece of advice is less practical, but very heartfelt! Learn to love your curls! Start using adjectives like fabulously curly or fantastically curly instead of ridiculously curly! Women of the world, starting with the OP, stop putting yourself down, be happy with yourself and be proud of your appearance, especially over the things that make you a little different! (speech and excessive use of exclamation marks now over). :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Bye bye hair brush is a good one! I use a wide tooth comb when needs be, and if I need to brush it through for straightening, I'll use a paddle brush. Honestly, when I stopped using hair brushes, I started liking my hair a lot more!

For styling, I use Salt Spray (Umberto Giananni or Toni & Guy). I find it defines my curls really well, and doesn't have the sticky feeling that some creams/mouses leave you with. I use John Frieda "Spun Gold" product to sort out any frizz on top.

Like 2 Miles, I'v found a good hairdresser also. He doesn't go near my hair with a scissors until it's had time to dry out a bit, so he can see the curls and how it falls. Before, hairdressers would always comb my hair straight, cut and then dry straight. When I went home and styled it myself it was a different cut altogether!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

No advice but just a quickie to say embrace your curls ladies!! Wish I had a mop of curls :) Much more interesting than straight hair!

I never thought about going to a hairdressers and getting my hair styled curly. Must try it because I have short hair and they always cut it very short! Must give it a go when I raise the funds! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I never thought about going to a hairdressers and getting my hair styled curly. Must try it because I have short hair and they always cut it very short! Must give it a go when I raise the funds! :)

Yep, sure your hair will jump up like an inch when it's actually curled! Have had the same problem a few years ago when I had my hair short. Left the salon with a sleek bob, the next day had a ball of fuzz floating around my head :pac:

Sounds too familiar :( haha!

Thanks for the tip! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mia_xx

Thanks so much everyone. Some great advice and some generally lovely words :D:D I'm gonna try and embrace these curls, I haven't straightened in a while and love how soft my hair feels :) Again thanks so so much :)

Advertisement