Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEC Turbo Grafx PAL version & Gunhed/Blazing Lazers game

• 30-08-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

Off Console goods, is this worth it?

£50

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Depends. Blazing Lasers is worth about £8-£10 in good nick (I have the US edition). Brilliant game by the way, the Japanese name for it is Gunhed.

However the console is PAL. Someone on this forum has a PAL TG so may be able to offer better advice. I say for the same money just buy a Core Grafx.

Better yet, spend a tad more and get a Duo-R if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

I have been thinking about getting one these myself for a while. For the price you get Gunhed, which isn't cheap on the PC Engine format, you can get the Turbo Grafx for just a bit more, and get the game with it.

Of course the library of games for the Turbo Grafx is very limited, but I think its a good entry level machine for those curious about NEC's format. After you have gotten the likes of R-Type, Super Star Soldier and Raiden, you will know if you want to invest in the Japanese machines.

The vanilla PC Engine by itself is a great choice to, but upgrading it is expensive and poor value in the long run. Buying Duo system will provide you with everything you could want (bar arcade-format compatibility which comes with the final upgrade card sold separately and used for the likes of the legendary Sapphire and the SNK ports of Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury 2), but it is quite expensive if you are unsure about whether or not the whole PC Engine scene is for you.

Because of the confusion between getting a brand spanking new Turbo Grafx console for next to nothing, the tiny and versatile original system, or the expensive all-singing and all-dancing PC Engine Duo range, I've not taken the plunge yet into the word of NEC 8-bit gaming. Maybe next year, but for now I'm going to be concentrating on buying games for the formats I own currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How about the PC Engine Core Grafx?

Cheap and Japanese. Best of both worlds :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    How about the PC Engine Core Grafx?

Cheap and Japanese. Best of both worlds :)

Exactly. But keep in mind that you will eventually want to upgrade so you can buy CD titles. Doing it that way by buying the Super CD and bank kit is not at all cheap (or easy to find the bits).

I'm a completist, I want an LT and GT to add to my collection. *sigh* One day!

Imagine whipping out an LT on the train haha! :D

Yeah the upgrade for the Core PC Engine costs more than a Duo. Thats why I haven't gone Core yet, as cheap as it is.

Can't go PC Engining just yet as it would mean a huge layout on yet more games! Best stick to the Saturn and 360 for the time being....

Really want Final Soldier mind.....:(:)

• Advertisement

Final Soldier is on my PC Engine hit list. To make up for it I have the Soldier Best Collection on the way for PSP. Same for Sapphire, I ordered the Ginga Densetsu Best Collection just for that and Star Parodier.

Once you get a PC Engine, and if you love SHMUPS as much as Homer Simpson loves donuts, then the world truly is your oyster. A beautiful, gorgeous, sumptuous machine home to pure, divine SHMUP glory awaits.

Bliss!

As great as the 'Engine is.... well thats the problem right there - its got an embarrassment of riches and I'm trying to stick to a budget and get loads of other retro and contemporary games over the next few months. I know that if I got the Duo RX that I've always wanted it would be about €200-€250 for the hadware, and I'd end up spending about €150 on software immediately. A fortnight later I'd be off buying again and my finances would be in tatters. It would be a load of fun no doubt, but I can't really go there right now. Too much other stuff on my "to buy" list.

Maybe next year... though I've been saying that for a good few years now!

Advertisement