Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank 1965

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Brings back a lot of memories. Can see my house even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Class pics. I wasn't even born then so don't remember anything but the pics are really cool

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Indeed. Saw that the other day. No flour mills either and the big houses still standing where the the CIE dormitory is now.

Begs the question-knock the Ardree down and have a lovely viewing area????

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

cbl593h wrote: »
    Indeed. Saw that the other day. No flour mills either and the big houses still standing where the the CIE dormitory is now.

Begs the question-knock the Ardree down and have a lovely viewing area????

The flour mills are more to the right of this photo and cant be seen. They were definitely there as they were built in 1905!

Just a question on the photos - a lot of the houses have TV aerials - would most people have had a TV in those days? I cant remember as I ws only one at the time!

Another interesting thing about them is how few cars there are on the streets - parked or moving.

• Advertisement

jimbojazz wrote: »
    The flour mills are more to the right of this photo and cant be seen. They were definitely there as they were built in 1905!

Just a question on the photos - a lot of the houses have TV aerials - would most people have had a TV in those days? I cant remember as I ws only one at the time!

Indeed you're correct about the flourmills. There was (is) a gap before the lower terrace Sion Row houses. I knew a fella who used to call this terrace "Starvation Lane" !!!!

Your "aerial " comment is back to the double decker pictures,RTE telly started in 1961,would the 1963 All Ireland hurling have been a big draw to get the TV installed????? :D

Indeed you're correct about the flourmills. There was (is) a gap before the lower terrace Sion Row houses. I knew a fella who used to call this terrace "Starvation Lane" !!!!

Your "aerial " comment is back to the double decker pictures,RTE telly started in 1961,would the 1963 All Ireland hurling have been a big draw to get the TV installed????? :D

Not a GAA fan but I just googled who was in that one and you're probably right:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Some of those would have been picking up BBC from Wales and others would be picking up RTE from Mount Leinster (I think). You can tell from the directions in which they are pointing and the different types and sizes. TV ownership was low.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    Some of those would have been picking up BBC from Wales and others would be picking up RTE from Mount Leinster (I think). You can tell from the directions in which they are pointing and the different types and sizes. TV ownership was low.

Regards...jmcc

That's what I was thinking, but a fair amount of them have aerials so I'm wondering if those photos might be later than 1965.

Also you can just about make out the Garda motorbike parked in the Station

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

That's what I was thinking, but a fair amount of them have aerials so I'm wondering if those photos might be later than 1965.
    Well there is a few BBC aerials and Ferrybank is one of the higher areas of the city where cross channel reception would be good. Some pairs of aerials would only lead to one television. The BBC aerials, the larger ones, would be the older ones and the RTE would be the newer ones. Just thinking about the sign on the front of the bus, it has Ardkeen rather than Knockboy at the end. This would put it before 1968 as Viewmount was only being built in 1967 or so and the bus route might not have gone out as far as Knockboy/Ballygunner (not sure when Riverview was built but it would possibly be late 1960s as well).

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Thats Flemmings castle up on the hill.

Has anybody got any more pics of old Ferrybank. It was so beautiful back then. Does anyone have any pictures of the Promenade that was there Before the horrible frank cassin warf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Hey all. Id be interested in some pics of Ferrybank in and around 1990-1998 and maybe the Abbey Park area. Think there is any lying around somewhere?

Godsentme wrote: »

Has anybody got any more pics of old Ferrybank. It was so beautiful back then. Does anyone have any pictures of the Promenade that was there Before the horrible frank cassin warf?

War broke out in the house the other night over the name of the castle! None of us could remember.

Well I grew up in Ferrybank and that was always Flemmings castle. They also had a pub in the Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Is that Rockenham up the hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

kfallon wrote: »

Sure is

kfallon wrote: »

From the left you have number 2 or 3 and upwards,hidden behind the back of the bus is 77,78 is the house with the corner (much extended now :D ) ,then 79 is next. Could probably name the families if I thought about it.............

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

thomasm wrote: »
    Sure is

Brings back memories! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lyracrumpane

The photographs were really taken in April 1965 and it was my first visit to Waterford. We also went to Passage East but I had confused this with Passage West near Cobh which I visited on another occasion. We stayed in a lovely hotel close to the CIÉ office - I think it was called The Bell, and had a large bell hanging over the door. I remember being rather late in and fearful that I might not be able to get a drink. I enquired anxiously about when the hotel closed and was reassured by the reply "October, sir." We were even supplied with hot water bottles in our beds - lovely big earthenware jars with corks in them. Happy memories of a very pleasant and enjoyable visit forty-six years ago.

I think that was the Granville, they have a restuarent calls 'Bells', I love you pictures, really glad you shared them.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you're right about the Granville. I've been looking at the Google streetview and there is the Bank of Ireland building right next door looking much as it did fifty years ago. But I'm sure that the Granville is a much extended version of Bell's Hotel because it seems so much bigger than I remember it.

I'm sure you're right about the Granville. I've been looking at the Google streetview and there is the Bank of Ireland building right next door looking much as it did fifty years ago. But I'm sure that the Granville is a much extended version of Bell's Hotel because it seems so much bigger than I remember it.

I think the Granville was extended into what used to be Hearnes department store. Hearnes must have closed around 1977,there's a Santa picture of me at home for 1976 but the subsequent ones are for Shaws :D.

Found these on the web. http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000031650 and http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000031538

Aha but look what I found now......

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/P_WP_2608

Ding dong.

Ye guys are good at this..

Could ye find any images of the prom and waterford boat club when it was on the ferrybank side?

Ye guys are good at this..

Could ye find any images of the prom and waterford boat club when it was on the ferrybank side?

In all fairness this internet stuff is open to all so just ask the search measín......

I'll start you off........ http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/L_ROY_00108

Thanks for those pictures cb1593h. It really was the Granville Hotel. The large bell is visible over a shop on the right-hand side which could be Bell's, a hardware store. It's strange how memory plays tricks but I think you finally explained this one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dunphy3

when was this.

I think that was the Granville, they have a restuarent calls 'Bells', I love you pictures, really glad you shared them.
    bells refer to the hotel

Oh right...child of the 70s.

• Advertisement

so that where i left my vw beetle.

Advertisement