Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Wedding Flowers

Options
  • 30-08-2011 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

I really want to grow my own wedding flowers I know that I should be getting them planted now if I really want them ready.

But I'm not an avid gardener. I don't really know what will grow in time and what won't.

I'm looking espicially at pink daisies and carnations. Going for pale rose/pink bridesmaids dresses.

The wedding is April 17th so we have some good few weeks of Spring I would hope. What do you reccommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I'm afraid you won't get them that early yourself. Earliest you could be looking at would be June and that would be with the aid of a greenhouse.
    Myself and my wife made up ours the night before the wedding :) Red roses and peace lillies bought in Dunnes, wrapped in foil and tied with ribbon we curled round a cool hair tonges. Sounds naff but carefully chosen and by taking time with the arrangement they were beautiful and saved us a few hundred euros. Everyone commented (positively) on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As Redser says, no way you will get daisies and carnations in April. Spring flowers tend to be yellow, blue, purple. Apart from fruit blossom, which is not reliable for holding flowers, I cannot think of any reliable pink flowers for spring. If we have a cold spring you could find yourself with flowers not quite ready to use.

My DIL did home grown for a wedding in August and even with the two of us experienced gardeners we did not attempt to do the bouquet. We did do the pew end flowers and they were very pretty, also a huge arrangement in the church porch using things we had grown. We did the windowsills with ivy etc as well.

I think the suggestion of buying flowers in a supermarket and creating from that is a good idea, do do a bit of a trial run beforehand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Ya, I figured as much. Was taking a look at seedaholic.com and I couldn't find anything that I could rely on. I would only have done the decorations. But I just think we're that bit too early.

Thanks anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Sure just change your wedding date :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I ordered my wedding flowers online via http://www.flowers4florists.com/ a couple of years ago and then again last year for my cousins wedding. The flowers are coming direct from Holland flower markets.
    Both times the flowers were in perfect condition and were delivered by UPS courier. Minimum order is 175 euro...

• Advertisement
Advertisement