Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapejara had great eyesight

Options
  • 30-08-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭

A new study of several Tapejara wellnhoferi skulls suggest that the creature had great eyesight despite its relatively small eyes; it seems that there are new remains so well preserved that it allowed for a CT scan of the braincase, revealing a very large optic lobe. It also had a highly developed balancing system, which was to be expected from a flying creature.

Unfortunately, the paper isn´t available to us mere mortals.

tapejara_wellnhoferi_01_a.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

Do you have the authors name or paper title? If you remind me around early October I MIGHT be able to get a hold of it. No promises, but I'll be back in Uni then and we have access to most of these papers.

It doesn't surprise me though. Pterosaurs have a broadly similar set up to birds, so you'd expect good vision to be standard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

GWolf wrote: »
    Do you have the authors name or paper title? If you remind me around early October I MIGHT be able to get a hold of it. No promises, but I'll be back in Uni then and we have access to most of these papers.

It doesn't surprise me though. Pterosaurs have a broadly similar set up to birds, so you'd expect good vision to be standard

Yeah, I'm not surprised either, but thought I'd share anyhow. The paper is called "On the osteology of Tapejara wellnhoferi KELLNER 1989 and
    the first occurrence of a multiple specimen assemblage
    from the Santana Formation, Araripe Basin, NE-Brazil"
    Actually, Jim Kirkland told me that the paper on what Utahraptor really was like would be published in October- now if u can get that one, it would be even better! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not surprised either, but thought I'd share anyhow. The paper is called "On the osteology of Tapejara wellnhoferi KELLNER 1989 and
    the first occurrence of a multiple specimen assemblage
    from the Santana Formation, Araripe Basin, NE-Brazil"
    Actually, Jim Kirkland told me that the paper on what Utahraptor really was like would be published in October- now if u can get that one, it would be even better! :D

PM me around publishing time.

I didn't realise there was still that much debate about Utahraptor to be honest. Then again, I've never tried to keep up with dromaeosaurs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

GWolf wrote: »
    PM me around publishing time.

I didn't realise there was still that much debate about Utahraptor to be honest. Then again, I've never tried to keep up with dromaeosaurs

There isn´t. But new remains were found and according to Kirkland, it changes everything we thought about Utahraptor- for starters that it wasn´t a lean fast runner but a massive "powerhouse", able to "knock a house down" (his own words) and with a very different skull.

Advertisement