Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a good bike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

it looks okay, but how come bikes nowadays don't have horizontal crossbars?

how're you going to get your mrs. home???

wholly impractical. (for me)

makre sure it's big enough. I'm looking for a new bike. I'm very tall. I'm sick of squeezing onto too small frames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm 6' so I'm buying a 21.

The only bump I could think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Apollo have a poor reputation and are built with shoddy parts. They're at the better end of BSO's but they're still BSO's (That's bicycle shaped object). It's better than a Trax or a Jeep but that wouldn't be difficult.

A few mechanics and previous owners on here have had bad experiences with them. IIRC someone had the handlebars come loose going down hill.

It should do 6 miles a day, but I wouldn't expect to get any joy out of the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Most bikes should survive 3 miles a day if you don't abuse it completely but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if it fell apart on you. For 200 beans you can't garauntee quality. It does at least fulfill the first rule of cheap bikes in that it's fairly simple and doesn't have useless suspension or disc brakes which are never going to work at that price point so I'd buy it ahead of most of the crappy mountain bikes you see at that price-point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Somebody mentioned this the other day:http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-phatsta-city-bike-933042

Don't think you'd do better for the price.

• Advertisement

Somebody mentioned this the other day:http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-phatsta-city-bike-933042

Don't think you'd do better for the price.

Looks good but only 3 gears and no mud guards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Looks good but only 3 gears and no mud guards...
    You're only going 3 miles! You can put mudguards on yourself, it's easy.

kenmc wrote: »
    You're only going 3 miles! You can put mudguards on yourself, it's easy.

Yes, my daily commute is 3 miles each way but someday I may go for a long bike ride. Not often but i still want the option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I agree you should have mudguards for commuting. Use the cash you save to get a nice pair.

As for 3 speeds - you only need 1 speed for 3 miles! And it's a hub gear, so should need next to no maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I agree that a 3 speed sturmey archer hub is better than the crappy tourney derailleur gears on the apollo but I still think you can do better than the muddyfox for 399£ (that's 450e). I'm not sure from the pics if it even has rack mounts.

• Advertisement

I agree that a 3 speed sturmey archer hub is better than the crappy tourney derailleur gears on the apollo but I still think you can do better than the muddyfox for 399£ (that's 450e). I'm not sure from the pics if it even has rack mounts.

It's down to 150. That make a difference?

Yes, my daily commute is 3 miles each way but someday I may go for a long bike ride. Not often but i still want the option.
    Then you should really spend a bit more and get a better bike if you're going to go for a long ride.

Ok. Can any of you recommend a good valued bike at £400 max?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Does anyone agree with this?

It's a slightly better bike. The problem with buying bikes from Halfords is that the quality of assembly and service is generally poor. If you know what you're doing, that's not an issue. But it doesn't really sound like you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Does anyone agree with this?

Yes, worth the extra £30. Have you tried looking at gumtree, adverts.ie, donedeal etc?? You may find something pretty good secondhand at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I bought a proper road bike for €450 with new tyres and a full service thrown in.
    I use it for 60-70km rides and for short trips to the shops and that.
    In this price range second hand is the way to go, in my opinion anyway.

I agree with the second hand approach but I would have no idea if i'm buying a dud. The seller could tell me ET 'rode' it to the moon and I'd believe him.

When I started looking I didn't know a whole lot either, best bet is to get down to your local bike shop and ask them about bikes and see if they have anything second hand in stock.

A lot of places can take trade ins against new bikes so they're left with secOnd hand bikes that would have once cost over a grand being sold for ~€400. Find a clean one in your s

• Advertisement

When I started looking I didn't know a whole lot either, best bet is to get down to your local bike shop and ask them about bikes and see if they have anything second hand in stock.

A lot of places can take trade ins against new bikes so they're left with secOnd hand bikes that would have once cost over a grand being sold for ~€400. Find a clean one in your size and you're laughing!

I went into Evans Cycles to price and came out with the model below. Bike (£314), helmet and lock came to £380GBP. The sales guy seemed to be knowledgeable so I went for it.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/sportster-60-2011-hybrid-bike-ec025472?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

That doesn't strike me as particularly good value tbh.

The Carrera subway would be better value IMO.

studiorat wrote: »
    That doesn't strike me as particularly good value tbh.

The Carrera subway would be better value IMO.
    Yeah but if you factor in peace-of-mind then it works out better than the halfords lottery and the carrera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Is Halfords really as bad as that though?

Regarding piece of mind, I've had work done by some of the 'serious' shops around the place and I've plenty of times found the quality of the work lacking. Bearings not re-packed properly, slippy cables, crank bolts... A few years ago one of the really 'big' shops gave me my bike back with gouges out of the tubing where they'd trapped the cables in the work stand. It ended up with them insisting I knew nothing about bikes and it was like that before I gave it to them, barring taking them to court I simply had to take the hit. Perhaps they take more care with the 4 grand race machines, I dunno.

That said I've a pretty good rapport with my LBS these days, but that's taken time and money, I digress...

Anyway, perhaps the trick is to get the Halfords chap to go through the PDI with you, not just sign it. Get him to tell you what each part means and check it with you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

kenmc wrote: »
    Yeah but if you factor in peace-of-mind then it works out better than the halfords lottery and the carrera.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't let them assemble it either. But then it was hardy rocket science to do it myself. 30 mins max, and then I knew it was done properly.

Oh and for the feint of heart there are illustrations.

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

try and buy a light bike, it is easier to cycle, also think or repairs, your local bike shop may have better back up service

Advertisement