Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to be a male model???

• 30-08-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

hi,

Ok so im not sure if this is where i should put this thread but i couldnt really see anywhere else it could go,if the moderators think it should be somewhere else please do.

So i want to become a male model,im 6ft 3 rather skinny..and i have an interest in fashion.

Anyone out there in the fashion sector that would know or have any advice or tips for me would be greatly appreciated??

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭ipadzz

Get yourself off to some agencies. I know some have 'open days' where you can walk in and they will look at anyone who comes in. Usually agencies will want to take polaroids and measurements when they first meet you. Some agencies will have their own agendas. Some are more commercial, some are more high-end. Some deal more with tv, film, some deal with more magazines, editorials and advertisements. You need to choose your agency carefully and go with the one you trust best.

If you're passionate about fashion modelling as a career, Ireland is the wrong place to do it and you would be wasting your time here. London, Paris, New York or Milan would be places to get your footing. No point wasting time learning the basics in a non-fashion capital like Dublin.

Another idea would be get to know photographers. Contact them, network with them and use them to your advantage. A photographer will always be inspired by a unique person, how they move, what kind of face they have. Sometimes a photographer will shoot you for free shots for your portfolio, provided they get the rights to the images taken and to reproduce them however they want.

If you know any friends who are stylists, photographers, make up artists etc. Organise your own shoots. Might as well put your skills together to get images for a portfolio instead of sitting around waiting for a modelling agency to do it for you.

ALSO - a word of warning. An agency will NEVER ask you for payment. You should not have to pay a cent, as when you do get work, the agency will take a cut of your fee. Your making them money so they must invest theirs in you to train you etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tommmy

ipadzz wrote: »
    Get yourself off to some agencies. I know some have 'open days' where you can walk in and they will look at anyone who comes in. Usually agencies will want to take polaroids and measurements when they first meet you. Some agencies will have their own agendas. Some are more commercial, some are more high-end. Some deal more with tv, film, some deal with more magazines, editorials and advertisements. You need to choose your agency carefully and go with the one you trust best.

If you're passionate about fashion modelling as a career, Ireland is the wrong place to do it and you would be wasting your time here. London, Paris, New York or Milan would be places to get your footing. No point wasting time learning the basics in a non-fashion capital like Dublin.

Another idea would be get to know photographers. Contact them, network with them and use them to your advantage. A photographer will always be inspired by a unique person, how they move, what kind of face they have. Sometimes a photographer will shoot you for free shots for your portfolio, provided they get the rights to the images taken and to reproduce them however they want.

If you know any friends who are stylists, photographers, make up artists etc. Organise your own shoots. Might as well put your skills together to get images for a portfolio instead of sitting around waiting for a modelling agency to do it for you.

ALSO - a word of warning. An agency will NEVER ask you for payment. You should not have to pay a cent, as when you do get work, the agency will take a cut of your fee. Your making them money so they must invest theirs in you to train you etc.

Thanks alot for all that information,much appreciated.I recently looked into a modelling course as it would give me a insight as to what its like,im not sure if your familiar with this site,but i will post the link and you can tell me if you have ever heard of it or not.

Once again thanks for the detailed reply much appreciated :)

http://www.asmdublin.com/articles_112173.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

tommmy wrote: »
    Thanks alot for all that information,much appreciated.I recently looked into a modelling course as it would give me a insight as to what its like,im not sure if your familiar with this site,but i will post the link and you can tell me if you have ever heard of it or not.

Once again thanks for the detailed reply much appreciated :)

http://www.asmdublin.com/articles_112173.html

Honestly, those courses are a waste of money. Take yourself down to Assets/Mosgan/1st Option open days or post them your information. They are the top agencies in Dublin and will know. If they think you could have a chance as a model, they will provide you with training. Check out their websites. Seriously, a course isn't going to make you be a model - if you have the face and body and are photogenic, the agencies will see that.

This is just copied and pasted form another thread.
    You need to make a list of the agencies (Assets, Morgan and 1st Option being the top in Dublin, and probably Ireland?) , and then equip yourself with two decent quality photos.

Photo one: Close up of head and shoulders - little or no make up - hair off face or behind shoulders - string top - taken on neutral background.
    Photo two: Full body shot - simple clothes like jeans and string top/fitted tee - barefoot or flat shoes - same with hair and make up as above - neutral background.

Most agencies have an open day for what they call new faces, so bring along the pictures and dress well, to show off your body type and shape.

You do NOT need to pay someone to take these pictures, the agency will know by looking at the pics and at you in person. You just need a digital camera and get them printed.

Do NOT give any "agency" money for sign up/application/training. These are total scams.

Twee. wrote: »
    Honestly, those courses are a waste of money. Take yourself down to Assets/Mosgan/1st Option open days or post them your information. They are the top agencies in Dublin and will know. If they think you could have a chance as a model, they will provide you with training. Check out their websites. Seriously, a course isn't going to make you be a model - if you have the face and body and are photogenic, the agencies will see that.

This is just copied and pasted form another thread.

Perfect,thank you for that information also.

I was'nt sure to do the course or not but what you said above makes alot of sense if they think you can be a model then they will know.

Many thanks for the information greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Perfect,thank you for that information also.

I was'nt sure to do the course or not but what you said above makes alot of sense if they think you can be a model then they will know.

Many thanks for the information greatly appreciated.

Thank you

They will teach you all you need to know, will answer any questions you have. I did modeling as a kid, two of my friends now are models - one in Dublin, one in NY. The agencies look after them. At the end of the day, they make money if you do, so it's in their best interest to make sure you're covered! The girl in NY just sent in her pics to an agency - she'd never done a photoshoot, never walked a runway, but sure when I saw her last week she'd already been to two calls that DAY and was hanging with me until the next one, and had a paid shoot within a week. I know that's NY and not Dublin, but just saying as she was completely new to the game.

• Advertisement

Twee. wrote: »
    They will teach you all you need to know, will answer any questions you have. I did modeling as a kid, two of my friends now are models - one in Dublin, one in NY. The agencies look after them. At the end of the day, they make money if you do, so it's in their best interest to make sure you're covered! The girl in NY just sent in her pics to an agency - she'd never done a photoshoot, never walked a runway, but sure when I saw her last week she'd already been to two calls that DAY and was hanging with me until the next one, and had a paid shoot within a week. I know that's NY and not Dublin, but just saying as she was completely new to the game.

Yeah sure it sounds good.I really dont know if im what a model agency is looking for,i just thought i would go for it as i am tall and rather slim.

At the end of the day i have nothing to loose by trying it and see, like you said they will know if i have what it takes to be a model.Although im 23 now will that be acknowledged as being of a older age for a male model i wonder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭ipadzz

Model agents are trained killers. They know what they like and they know what sells so if you present yourself to them (the email+pics route or just a walk-in off the street) they are going to know fairly quickly if you are model material or not. But you won't know till you try! Best of luck, the most important thing is to be confident in yourself.

ipadzz wrote: »
    Model agents are trained killers. They know what they like and they know what sells so if you present yourself to them (the email+pics route or just a walk-in off the street) they are going to know fairly quickly if you are model material or not. But you won't know till you try! Best of luck, the most important thing is to be confident in yourself.

Thank you all,for your information.So i have an appointment made to see a model agency.I would just like to know what happens when i go in, is it like a interview then they take some pictures or what takes place...

Again any info is greatly appreciated

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1 andrewhall

hi,

Ok so im not sure if this is where i should put this thread but i couldnt really see anywhere else it could go,if the moderators think it should be somewhere else please do.

So i want to become a male model,im 6ft 3 rather skinny..and i have an interest in fashion.

Anyone out there in the fashion sector that would know or have any advice or tips for me would be greatly appreciated??

Thank you

Hi,
    Your height seems good. For a runway model the height is usually five eleven to six two with suit size of forty. It would have been great if you had attached a photo of yours. To become a successful male model one requires serious dedication and should take good care of their body.
    Follow a healthy diet.

Take lot of fruits especially dry fruits as this keep your face fresh and young. Keep your teeth clean and white. Have your toe and finger nails clean as finger nails makes great impression in photographs. You could more advices and tips on modeling here http://modelingagencydc.com/model-advices/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please don't bring up old threads. Zombie thread closed.

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement