Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web design course

• 30-08-2011 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

hi all,
    im a beginner and looking to start right at the start....i was looking at doing a course in "madart" on gardiner street but the guy in there said i should try a course in dreamweaver or photoshop first and then do his course....it seems to me there are not many courses out there, and its hard to know where to start? anyone any suggestions of where i should start and what i should do? i would be looking for part time courses as i work full time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Do a search of the Software and Web Development forums using the keyword w3schools. You'll find a load of help in those threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

I would suggest doing an online course, this way you can learn and create your pages as you go.

Alison.com is a great website for online tutorials in almost anything, there are html and other webdesign courses to be found.

But to get a good idea download wordpress.com and you can get started right away, if you can see my website on my profile then click that I put it together in about half a day with no website experience.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Smokiejam

hey what does everyone think of this i think ill do this course!!

http://www.gcd.ie/certificate-in-web-design-and-development/

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭HairMonster

Smokiejam wrote: »
    hey what does everyone think of this i think ill do this course!!
    http://www.gcd.ie/certificate-in-web-design-and-development/

My big concern is the fact that 2 of the 8 topics under the Dreamweaver section are:
    • Working with Frames
    • Building a Frameset Page
    No one has worked with Frames or Framesets since the 90s!! I'd have to question how up-to-date the content is.
    However you will probably still get a basic understanding for working with Photoshop and Dreamweaver which seems to be all you require.

Don't forget you will also need access to Photoshop and Dreamweaver outside the course to practice, and these are professional packages and cost a fortune.

That's the guts of $1000 for those 2.

Also the course includes:
    Fonts and Colours
    Tables (probably for layout, see * below)
    Frames

which have been bad practice for quite a while now except in rare circumstances.

DreamWeaver is great for production but poor at design, not the best tool to use.

It also doesn't mention * div/css-based layouts and css typefacing which are the current best practices.

So it would appear that the course content is out-of-date and not based on good practice. Not worth €690.

Be sure to have a look at the threads in the search I suggested in post #2.

• Advertisement

I only glanced through the course content and frames jumped out, I didn't even notice the rest. It looks like they haven't updated their course in 10 years or more :eek:

I get the impression you are looking for a class rather than self-taught to get you started? A lot of people find it daunting to start from scratch by themselves so I understand where you are coming from. Once you get a start, you can try the online tutorials etc

Have you looked at any might classes? Lots of colleges do Dreamweaver/Photoshop/web design classes for a fraction on the price of Griffith College. I can't speak for the quality buy they are a fraction of the price of the Griffith College course and you can get a feel for it & get familiar with the development environments. This should give you an idea of whether its something you're interested in pursuing and if its worth shelling out for the software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Hi Guys,

Like the OP, I am also looking at starting to upskill and Web Design, Graphic Design is what I am interested in, as a hobby and hopefully work in eventually,

Any one have any views on the CMIT couse below,

http://www.cmit.ie/courses-web-design-distance-learning/fetac-certificate-in-web-design-level-5.html

or one of the following from CMIT

http://www.iact.ie/iopen24/index.php?cPath=1

I want to start a course soon but I am unsure which one.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

Is there a fear here against free online web design/html courses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 inov8ionz

All these courses are giving out information that can be easilly found online, you will save yourselfs a fortune by self teaching,i know there is a point in where you will have to get help but the two websites i have listed below have great fourms and the members are always very helpful,

w3schools
    net.tutsplus.com

Ben Moore wrote: »
    Is there a fear here against free online web design/html courses?
    Of course not. But the OP asked about a particular class.
    Some people prefer a classroom environment and most people understand quicker with someone guiding them, especially when they have absolutely no experience in the topic. Starting from scratch is very daunting to do on your own and self-teaching just doesn't work for a lot of people.

• Advertisement

The_Shotz wrote: »
    I'm getting very concerned at all of the courses mentioned on this thread still include Frames!

I would avoid the CMIT course like the plague - it actually lists table-based layouts as a topic and that is the an absolute no-no for websites.
    The IACT course does at least mention CSS-base sites and xhtml.

A classroom-based class is often an easier way to start when you don't know a topic, but if this is already a hobby for you, then you might find online courses helpful instead? They don't suit everyone so you'll know yourself whether they are for you from a learning POV. But don't automatically assume a class will be a better from a content POV than online ones - as we've seen here may of them are totally outdated and would actually do more harm than good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 inov8ionz

It sucks that they try and teach frames that is well out dated and nobody really uses any more, the same happened me in Software development in college they were teaching us about the architecture of microchips back in the 80's there reason for this was in order to know how to build you need to know how everything was built, but i think that was utter bull, they should teach us the basics in the latest technology and web design standards.

Hi guys thanks for the help,

Im going to give w3schools a go.

I had no idea what frames were or anything and thats why I was looking at a course but after a bit of research I'm beginning to know whats what and understand the lingo.

I also wanted to do a course so I would certified in it but I reckon Im better off doing w3schools and then I would be able to do a much more advanced course as by that stage I should have a good understanding in web design

Can anyone also recommend a good free photoshop cs5 tutorial?

Once again thanks lads

Dunno about free ones, but http://lynda.com have some dirt cheap courses, including html and web design.

The One-on-One courses by Deke McClelland are top notch. I did the CS3 ones a few years ago partly as a refresher, but also partly because there's always more or other techniques to learn when it comes to PhotoShop. I still refer to them from time to time. You could join for a month for $25 and download his CS5 courses which I'd guestimate have a size of 6-10GB. (CS3 is 6GB)

http://www.lynda.com/Deke-McClelland/98-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mcR

Hi, I seen your post and thought this course might help

http://www.scd.ie/Web_Authoring_Introduction/Default.434.html

I did the part time computer graphics course there in scd last year and I really enjoyed it. I can't vouch for the web design course but I liked the college and learned alot from my course so it could be worth a try and you get a fetac qualification out of it too

Hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Hi all,

I'm also looking to upskill in the area of Web Design. What do ye think of this course as a first foray into the world of web design courses?

http://dbs.ie/Web-Design/Evening-Diploma.htm

All opinions appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

maupat wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm also looking to upskill in the area of Web Design. What do ye think of this course as a first foray into the world of web design courses?

http://dbs.ie/Web-Design/Evening-Diploma.htm

All opinions appreciated :)

Hi Maupat,

DON'T even thinking about doing that course , unless you fancy learning 1999 style table based , dreamweaver template driven , so called design. I made my opinions known on that so called course a while back, you should be able to find it by doing a search. However , they may have upped their game in the few years since I done the course , but anecdotally I hear its still the same old crap.

AB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Thanks AB.

Are there any classroom-based courses in particular that you would recommend?

maupat wrote: »
    Thanks AB.

Are there any classroom-based courses in particular that you would recommend?

To be honest , from what I can see ( and I'm really hoping to be proven wrong on this ) , the web design courses in Dublin ( and nationally ) seem to be of a poor standard. I've heard some ( most stress some , this is in no way a recommendation ) good things about the Mad Art Studios course. They seem to be reasonably contemporary in their teaching. Having said that not having done the course I cant say for sure. Maybe others can give you more info?
    Really your best bet in my opinion is Lynda.com. Everything you need is there , and then some.

I finally decided on a course, had a look at some of the free on line courses and it wreaked my head a bit so I decided on a part time course in WIT, in web design which includes the following,

Course Content:
    Photoshop
    Fireworks
    Flash
    HTML
    Dreamweaver
    CSS
    Web Standards & Accessibility

Seems good I like the way it includes photoshop and dreamweaver

• Advertisement

I only glanced through the course content and frames jumped out, I didn't even notice the rest. It looks like they haven't updated their course in 10 years or more :eek:

I get the impression you are looking for a class rather than self-taught to get you started? A lot of people find it daunting to start from scratch by themselves so I understand where you are coming from. Once you get a start, you can try the online tutorials etc

Have you looked at any might classes? Lots of colleges do Dreamweaver/Photoshop/web design classes for a fraction on the price of Griffith College. I can't speak for the quality buy they are a fraction of the price of the Griffith College course and you can get a feel for it & get familiar with the development environments. This should give you an idea of whether its something you're interested in pursuing and if its worth shelling out for the software.

hey, yeah you seem to know how im thinking, im really starting from the start and thinking even a basic computer course might suit before i do a course, but i do want a classroom course, but i still seem to be having trouble finding a starter course in web design thats worth doing, any suggestions?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Look a few posts up, its been mentioned and advised against. I would advise against it also, the course is very dated and they dont teach half the stuff you would actually need to know. You would be better Id say trying to teach yourself a bit first and see how you got on and if you have the interest or not in it and then look at maybe signing up to a course. The tutorial on Lynda are really good and well explained so between those and w3schools you would get a decent grounding and be able to play around with stuff on your own and get a feel for it.

mcR wrote: »
    Hi, I seen your post and thought this course might help

http://www.scd.ie/Web_Authoring_Introduction/Default.434.html

I did the part time computer graphics course there in scd last year and I really enjoyed it. I can't vouch for the web design course but I liked the college and learned alot from my course so it could be worth a try and you get a fetac qualification out of it too

Hope it helps

What does everyone think of this one

http://www.scd.ie/Web_Authoring_Introduction/Default.434.htm

with a view to going on to doing this one:

http://www.scd.ie/Advanced_Web_Design/Default.576.html

thanks for your help everyone!!!

anyone?

anyone?

The Web Authoring link doesnt work Smokiejam.

Looks like more of the same old rubbish. Flash CS5 tells me all I need to know. It has no business being taught as any sort of web authoring tool in the year 2011. No mention of HTML5/ CSS3 either. Fireworks ?? Give me a break.

Who is teaching and running these courses ?? Why in the name of god can't they get it right ??

well does anyone have a suggestion for a course in a college environment..for a starter course, i dont wanna "teach myself"....does anyone, anywhere have a recommendation for a college course i can do????

well does anyone have a suggestion for a course in a college environment..for a starter course, i dont wanna "teach myself"....does anyone, anywhere have a recommendation for a college course i can do????

To be perfectly honest , I dont think there is any, not that Ive seen anyways. They all seem to be on the mediocre / woefully outdated end of the spectrum. Its really not a good idea to any sort of course and learn incorrect / outdated information , it'll greatly set you back. I know you said you dont want to teach yourself but honestly I think its your best option. Get some Lynda.com videos and off you go. You'll learn more from them than any course in this country.

One day , I hope to proven wrong on that.

i NEED classroom environment :( at least to start off

• Advertisement

i NEED classroom environment :( at least to start off

Actually , try these guys..
    Ive mentioned them before, they seem to be the best of a bad lot.

http://www.madartstudio.com/index.php/learn-effective-webdesign/

Also, try to shout less. We're here to help.

Advertisement