Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attending lectures

Options
  • 30-08-2011 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi all, im starting in law in sept. very nervious, dont know what to expect. Where are the law lectures held ? are lectures very big? is there any problem with arriving late for lectures or is it not the done thing? I really havent a clue , im from the country and will know absolutely nobody there :o , thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It's usually not a problem to arrive at lectures late, ideally don't make a habit of it, but the lecturer won't be mad or anything. Just walk into the room quietly and take a seat as soon as you can so as not to disrupt people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I had a constitutional lecturer who would go ape sh!t if someone came in late. She basically told them to leave, especially if they came in late after the 5 minute break in the middle of the 2 hour lecture. Then again, she was rather... tightly wound, so to speak...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

hindfoot wrote: »
    hi all, im starting in law in sept. very nervious, dont know what to expect. Where are the law lectures held ? are lectures very big? is there any problem with arriving late for lectures or is it not the done thing? I really havent a clue , im from the country and will know absolutely nobody there :o , thanks for any help.

If your doing the bcl degree, you will probably have around 12 hours of lectures a week, so not that many at all. In terms of class size, for the core modules (Tort, Contract, Constitutional) you will be in lectures with B&L and Law with students so lecture size is quite large (250 - 300 i think) in usually Arts or Science.

For your other modules,we had Criminal/civil procedure with Paul Anthony Mcdermott who is such an amazing lecturer, and other introductory modules like Introduction to common law systems, these are going to be with your law class alone, so approx. 70 students in Roebuck lecture theatres! Arriving late for lectures is usually fine, except be wary of contract and constitutional next year heads up;)

Otherwise, orientation will be great to help settle in, talk to as many people as possible, especially those that will be in your orientation group! In fact not knowing nobody heading to university is such a great thing, it will give you a far better college experience!

As well as that join as many societies during Freshers week, and try and get more involved if you can (especially Lawsoc or the student legal service) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hindfoot

many thanks for your replies, just a couple more questions please ....
    do i have to register for all modules including core modules or are the core modules, like, pre sellected for me ?
    where do i find the list of in programme electives ? i had a look in the modules for first year law and there is no such list
    are there many to pick from in first year ?
    what happens if i cant get an in programme elective, i mean am i forced to pick some elective that i dont really want to do ?
    this registration buissness is head wrecking :confused::confused:
    thanks again for the advice/help already given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I'm starting Law and History, and I'm just as confused as you!

Sorry to hijack your thread, but does anyone know if you have to pay your fees before you can register for classes and electives? I can register my personal info but nothing else, is that because I've not paid my fees yet? (that's ANOTHER story!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jawn

You can't register modules until Sept 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 chair

I'd advise you to just chill out about everything, its only first year, no lasting damage will be done. So don't be nervous about having the best year of your life! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BronzeWombat

Are lectures recorded at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Are lectures recorded at all?

AFAIK only Computer Science records lecture attendance at all.

Generally tutorial attendance is recorded by most subjects (and in some subjects makes up a very small percentage of your final mark)

Edit: I presume you mean attendance recording and not video recording! For the latter there are some podcasts I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BronzeWombat

Sorry! I did actually mean podcasts, should have been a bit more specific. I should be at UCD next year from Australia so I'm just considering how much mid-week travel I can get away with haha. Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement