Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord letting themselves in - normal?

Options
  • 30-08-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Been to see a few flats lately (just for myself) and almost all the landlords say that they let themselves in to the flat to collect the rent and have a look around, is that about right? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

NO they have no right to enter on less you give them the ok plus they have to tell you before hand that they want to come in.

There is no need for a landlord to come pick up the money or check the place out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Im no expert but im pretty sure thay must give you notice beforehand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Absolutely not

And the fact they want to collect cash and not rely on online banking or lodgements is a red flag too
    Sure it's extra work for them to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Seems legit, my landlord used to kip on the sofa and raid the fridge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

A landlord can come into the house any time they want as far as I know. He cant come into your room without your permission. But I think its mostly down to what terms you are on, how friendly you are with each other etc. Courtesy I think is the unwritten law - text you when he intends on coming by, knocking etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 SRAadvisor

Hi Guys,

a landlord is absolutly not entitled to come on the property when ever they want. the law says you have "quite and peaceful possession" of the propertry. the PRTB and the courts take that to mean the landlord must arrange a time with you if s/he wants to visit.

read your contract to see if inspections were included as part of the agreement.

its never a good idea to pay rent in cash. you really need your own independant record of rent paid. even if s/he says s/he keeps a rent book for you, you need your own record.

hope this helps,
    [url]www.studentrentingadvice.ie:[/url])

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Keep away from anyone like that! I had a landlord that would let himself in toto the house whenever he liked despite the contract saying that at least 24 hours notice would be given before him or any agent working for him would call on the premises. It got to the point that myself and the girls i lived with were so fed up we started locking the door during the day but he would just hammer on the door until we let him in!

I ended up leaving before my contract was up, but i told them i had sought legal advice and because they broke the contract i could get all my rent money back, never heard from them again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mary_hayes

OP here.
    Cheers for the replies.Any of the landlords and ladies I have spoken to haven't given a reason why they call to personally collect the rent. I don't understand it myself. My landlord last year got us to pay it in to his bank account and I met him twice in a whole year, which is how I would prefer it!

Another off the topic issue with some of the male landlords I have met were them asking me was I single, one of them actually said "I don't care who you have in your bed" and another one "Are you seeing anyone" while proceeding to touch my back. I was alarmed about this personal questioning to say the least and by several of these landlords, not just one!

I'm getting desperate at this stage! I have to make the move back to Dublin in the next week and still have nowhere to live!! frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

mary_hayes wrote: »
    OP here.
    Cheers for the replies.Any of the landlords and ladies I have spoken to haven't given a reason why they call to personally collect the rent. I don't understand it myself. My landlord last year got us to pay it in to his bank account and I met him twice in a whole year, which is how I would prefer it!

Another off the topic issue with some of the male landlords I have met were them asking me was I single, one of them actually said "I don't care who you have in your bed" and another one "Are you seeing anyone" while proceeding to touch my back. I was alarmed about this personal questioning to say the least and by several of these landlords, not just one!

I'm getting desperate at this stage! I have to make the move back to Dublin in the next week and still have nowhere to live!! frown.gif

What you have described above could be construed as sexual assault and harassment. You'd be well within your rights to report him to the Gardai for that!

A landlord has absolutely no business randomly calling to a residential property other than at a pre arranged, reasonable time for specific purposes that are to do with property maintenance or, a reasonable inspection.

Your relationship is a simple business one. You pay for accommodation, he/she provides it and maintains it. You have a right to peaceful occupation of that property, free from harassment, stalking, annoying visits etc.
    It's like some landlords fail to comprehend that once they let a property they need to step away and behave in a reasonable manner.
    Would they like it if their mortgage lender kept calling at their door for cups of tea, letting themselves in and randomly harassing them? If or, insisting on collecting mortgage payment at the door in cash?

How do you know that your landlord or his/her agents are not going to steal your property? Or, attack you?
    It's totally unreasonable to call at random and its particularly bad for a guy to call unannounced on a female resident like that.

As for collecting the rent in cash, two words come to mind : tax evasion.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Threshold are the people to answer that but i've found them useless on the phone you may have to call in.No use asking lot's of people in case a row takes place.You need reliable advice here.There may be a source ONLINE?

• Advertisement
Advertisement