Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with lathe

• 30-08-2011 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

I've a Record Power CL1 lathe, variable speed. Trouble is the speed pulleys (example) are rotating on their own and not catching when the lathe is turned on. So when it's on they aren't spinning at the correct rpm and if I try doing some roughing work it will slow down considerably.

There's a spot for an allen key but unsure what to do. Never had to do anything with my lathe bar set it up. Probably an easy fix but I'm just not seeing it.

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm a little unclear as to what's happening ... is one of the sets of pulleys rotating on the shaft it's on, or is the belt slipping on the pulleys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Sorry, basically the set of pulleys on the shaft it's on isn't rotating with the shaft

On my lathe both sets of pulley wheels are located on the shafts by a key that slots into a groove on both the shaft and the key. There's a set screw (tightened by an allen key) that basically just holds it in place and stops the pulley block from sliding up and down the shaft. See below ...

ab07cp.jpg

In that situation, it'd need the set screw to be loose, and the key to fall out to cause the pulleys to rotate freely on the shaft in that case though which would be unlikely I'd have thought.

It's also possible I suppose that they just have a groove on the drive shaft and the set screw just slots into the groove, or worse still, no groove at all and they just rely on friction between the set screw and the shaft.

In any case I'd first try tightening the set screw up with an allen key, first checking if there's any kind of groove on the shaft and aligning it up first.

EDIT: Look here http://www.recordpower.co.uk/download.php?id=1932 It's a manual for a different model lathe admittedly, but in section 5 there's some assembly instructions. Looks like the pulleys are held on with two grub screws. There's mention of a groove on the shaft as well, although I'm a bit unclear as to the purpose of the two screws.

2nd EDIT!: Looks like the first screw locates the pulleys on the shaft, and then the second screw goes in on top to lock it into place.

Thanks, will go have a nosy now and see what the deal is. Thanks for the advice :)

edit - yup basically just tightened the grub screw and all was well again. Feel so silly now. Thanks for the help.

I did a bit of a ninja edit there with info on another model of Record Lathe, don't know whether you saw it before you replied :)

• Advertisement

I did yeah thank you :) All is well once again with my wood turning world :D

Glad you got it sorted. It's a bit strange that it came loose at all though especially as there's that second screw to lock the first one in place.

I've had the lathe coming on 2 years and have never really done much maintenance on it, so not bad considering I think :)

Advertisement