Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing Cycling forum ban

Options
  • 30-08-2011 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

I wish to appeal my ban detailed here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056366564&page=2

I feel it is overly harsh and should be reduced to nil or at most an infraction.

I also note I was not aware the moderator in question had changed his name recently which I feel had a bearing on the flow of the thread.

I'd welcome some resolution.

Further information can be furnished upon request.

PS - further information on the topic is now available on the link above, I believe this strengthens my case further.

PPS - can I also ask why 3 posts which were on this thread in support of me have been removed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Will look into this tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A number of posts have been deleted from this thread. If you are not the OP or a CMod/admin dealing with this appeal you have no business posting on this thread, so please refrain from doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Zaph wrote: »
    A number of posts have been deleted from this thread. If you are not the OP or a CMod/admin dealing with this appeal you have no business posting on this thread, so please refrain from doing so.

In my defence, can I as OP copy and paste previous posts by others on this thread?

I would add I was banned for being accused of making "allegations".

I would contest that upon clearer examination of my posts I did not actually make allegations as such.

In my defence, can I as OP copy and paste previous posts by others on this thread?

No. I've seen them all anyway.

• Advertisement

Well....there is a phenomenal amount of reading required here (not unusual it seems from your previous disputes). I had hoped to conclude things this evening but that's not going to be the case.

Khannie,

Given you are referring to "a phenomenal amount of reading", I gather certain mods may be pointing you towards my previous "indiscretions" on other threads.

I would wish that the thread in question here be treated on its own merits.

I served previous bans and lessons were learned.

Can I ask when might I expect a decision?
    Khannie wrote: »
    Well....there is a phenomenal amount of reading required here (not unusual it seems from your previous disputes). I had hoped to conclude things this evening but that's not going to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just as a meta-point to the DR process:
    I would wish that the thread in question here be treated on its own merits.

I served previous bans and lessons were learned.

No. We do not and will not ignore history.

As a boards user, your boards.ie background and history effect how you are seen. This is a private website which could not exist without the time of volunteers. If you have a history of multiple bans, infractions and trolling it would be reprehensible of boards.ie to allow you to continue to waste valuable volunteer mods (and admins) time.

On previous history: As Trojan said, it's pertinent.
    Can I ask when might I expect a decision?

I'd hope to get to it tomorrow. edit: It's better that I do things thoroughly though, for all concerned. I understand that it's frustrating being left waiting so this is high on the priority list.

OK

Would it be better for senior mods who looked at previous appeals to look at this as they would be more familiar?

This latest case is more clearcut and less elaborate IMHO

• Advertisement

It's not a bad idea, but I think the handover would just delay things further at this point.

Alright...let's get this show on the road. I'll cut to the chase for you since you've been left waiting a while: I am lifting your ban.

However, some things need to be made really clear here:
    • You were making an allegation (which you admitted in a PM was based on gossip) which had the potential to incorrectly damage someone's business. You can't go doing that without proof to back it up. It leaves boards open to legal action and we can't have that because legal action is both costly and a pain for already busy people to deal with. If you're concerned with peoples safety, that's laudable, but there are ways to make people aware that they should be careful without leaving boards open to legal action.
    • It turns out that you were right when it all boiled down to it. Good news.
    • The mods are not going to have much leniency with you. This is both natural and correct. You have been a source of some serious trouble for them in the past. They are volunteers and their time is valuable both to them and to me (because I don't want to try to replace them if they lose interest in modding). I would fully expect your next infractable offence to result in a permanent ban from the cycling forum and I would fully back that.
    • Lastly, to those who jumped aboard the "Save Bob" bandwagon in this thread: Don't do that please. It doesn't help things.

Thank you.

I appreciate the time you put into this
    Khannie wrote: »
    Alright...let's get this show on the road. I'll cut to the chase for you since you've been left waiting a while: I am lifting your ban.

However, some things need to be made really clear here:
    • You were making an allegation (which you admitted in a PM was based on gossip) which had the potential to incorrectly damage someone's business. You can't go doing that without proof to back it up. It leaves boards open to legal action and we can't have that because legal action is both costly and a pain for already busy people to deal with. If you're concerned with peoples safety, that's laudable, but there are ways to make people aware that they should be careful without leaving boards open to legal action.
    • It turns out that you were right when it all boiled down to it. Good news.
    • The mods are not going to have much leniency with you. This is both natural and correct. You have been a source of some serious trouble for them in the past. They are volunteers and their time is valuable both to them and to me (because I don't want to try to replace them if they lose interest in modding). I would fully expect your next infractable offence to result in a permanent ban from the cycling forum and I would fully back that.
    • Lastly, to those who jumped aboard the "Save Bob" bandwagon in this thread: Don't do that please. It doesn't help things.

You're welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement