Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy food.

• 30-08-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

What is the best food for feeding a Collie pup 14 wks old.

I am feeding him Beta complete food but find he is producing loads of tacky crap. I think the food is too rich. The same happened when we fed one of our
    old dogs Pedigree complete ( rubbish ) when she was a pup.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

what is your budget. would make for ppl to recommend a food if they now

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Never thoughy of that.
    Suppose I would have to know what price the food it before buying it.
    I suppose €40 for a large bag might be my budget but I might squeeze an extra
    few quid in if the food is good.

One of the best foods I found for my old dog was the food in Aldi. €8 for a
    large bag and he loved it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Depends on the size of the bag, some large bags are anywhere from 10kgs to 18kgs, mostly 10, 12, 15kgs.
    Burns is supposed to be very good, works out about €50 for 15kgs, but you feed less as its more digestible.
    Try looking on here for something in your budget, you can always see if anywhere stocks it locally.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food

Read the ingredients and look for ones with least ingredients and also look for named meats, poutry = any part of any fowl, meat by products = any part of any animal (ears, tail, skin, whatever other crap there's left). Lamb=lamb, chicken=chicken.
    A named meat should be first or second on the list of ingredients.
    Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Whites - €40 for 15kg bag
    Fish4dogs - around €45 for 12kg bag

These I would consider the best quality around that price range, with better quality foods you tend to find you need to feed less of it. Whites is probably your best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My collie is on Burns but have started to feed her and the others a mix of Burns and Wagg dog food. Wagg dog food is only €14.99 for a 15kg bag it's not got as many additives as some dog foods but if you want to go down the holistic food root Burns is great. My collies 12 now and never looked better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sigma force, where do you get Wagg?
    My dogs breeder said his parents are doing great on it and I'm having issues with finding a food that won't go through him. Can't find it around here anywhere.

And +1 for whites, my two loved it, but doesn't agree with my boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I wouldnt recommend feeding Wagg tbh, have you seen the ingredients?

Composition
    Wheat, Meat Meal (min 10% beef in red kibble), Wheatfeed, Maize, Poultry Fat, Digest, Linseed, Beet Pulp, Rice, Peas (min 4% in pea kibble), Lucerne, Minerals, Yeast (0.08%), Citrus Extract (0.04%) & Yucca Extract (0.01%)

Wheres the meat content in it?? The first ingredient is Wheat which is always a bad sign, the first ingredient should always be meat. If its anything else then the food is very low quality and made up with fillers and very little meat content.

Dog food when cheap in price is usually cheap for a reason.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

TBH, I would avoid Wagg completely. The very first ingredient in the food is wheat, which most dogs either have an allergy to already or pick up an allergy to after time, and wheat really shouldn't be in any dog foods at this point. The ingredients aren't too bad, but again you're only looking at 10% named meat, what's the rest of the stuff in it?

Haven't used Whites but its gotten some pretty good reviews so it might be an idea for you OP

EDIT- How I missed andreac's post before this earlier I dont know? Sorry for repeating what she already said.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I feed my puppy a mix of Nature First (its like a pate type food) mixed into Beta kibble and she seems to enjoy it. Her poos are also solid which is great when it comes to cleaning it up. The Nature First has a high meat content and not a lot of water so she gets the taste of 'wet' foot without the mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yes well hate to break it to yah folks but times are tight for people I said ..if you read it that I mix the Wagg in with the Burns and mine are doing fine on it so far, each dog is different. Wagg is around the same price as red mills which could be another option.
    My dogs have been fed on Burns for nearly 10 years but it's too expensive if someone can recommend another 15kg bag of dog food for €15.00 then I'd try it but you know something we've all had to cut back and the dogs were the last to have to we don't get to eat meat every day ourselves.

I'd be recommending Burns or other similar food to everyone but not everyone can afford that now, most people I know with dogs won't spend that kind of money and there's no talking to them.

Times are changing we can't all afford to feed gourmet food anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im not sure which Redmills you mean but its def not the better quality Redmills thats the same price. It might be the Star version which is pure muck and i wouldnt feed it to my dogs and wouldnt recommend it to anyone else to be honest.

Yes times are tight, but the OP says they have a budget of about 40euro and can stretch so thats why we are saying not to feed Wagg as its a very low quality cheap food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

have to agree with some of the above, times are hard and ive tried a few of the cheaper foods and the one i found was the worst was waggs. OMG, my garden was full of orange poo. after giving them a week on it, plus the week before that id mixed it with their normal food, i chucked it in the bin. I now use whites and find it brill, also at the moment their doing a loyalty scheme, where for every 15 kg bag of food you buy you get so much of the next bag, or you can save the discount on 8 bags and get the next one free.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I know people say its hard times and all (not denying that at all!) but buying the cheaper food can actually work out more expensive. If I were to use Redmills for my pup for example, I would have to feed him 2500grams of food a day!! That's a lot of food!! Not to mention that Redmills is in and around 20euro a bag. That's 20euro every six days. I'm spending 70euro on what I'm feeding at the moment and I get twentyfour days out of it. So I'd be spending 80euro on a low quality food with little meat and full of chemicals, instead of spending 70euro for the same amount of time on a food with no chemicals/colourings/preservatives at all and a meat content of 35%

As the OP says, he has 40euro-ish to spend so I would advise to get the best that he can with that amount.

Thanks for the replies guys and gals, plenty of food for thought
    ( pardon the pun ) I`ll have a look for the foods mentioned and let you know how I get on.

Thanks..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Have a look at Robbies, it's suitable for all ages and sizes and costs about €54 a bag. It's all natural, nothing you wouldn't eat yourself in it, though perhaps presented differently ;)

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Have a look at Robbies, it's suitable for all ages and sizes and costs about €54 a bag. It's all natural, nothing you wouldn't eat yourself in it, though perhaps presented differently ;)

Will do, cheers.

Got a large bag of Royal Canin Today, half price in FFF in Swords.
    Seems like good stuff.

Advertisement