Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning tesco 3 for €3

Options
  • 30-08-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi, this might be in thewrong section, but feel I need to warn people about tesco's latest scam....I purchased the '3 veg for the €'3 offer and it did not go through at the checkout... I was charged €2.63 extra,I then had to queue up at customer service and wait until some assistant somewhere in the store phoned back to customer service to say I was right. I then went to purchase the 'Any 3 fruit for €3' but this time I said to the checkout girl can you check that I have actually got the fruit for €3!. She looked at the screen and said 'No , sorry, I'll call the manager' again I had to wait at the checkout until the manager came back to the till with my fruit and tell me that 'yes I was right.' .....it was really busy in Tesco today and I just wonder is this a plan by Tesco to rip people off or is it a genuine mistake...Really?

I've had a lie down since as the stress was too much!
    I do feel better now for having shared it with all of you:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

:eek:

IT'S A MASSIVE CONSPIRACY!!!!

Tesco are quite obviously using the thriving fruit market in order to rip off the entire public, hoard as much cash as possible and TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!

Or not............. it could've been a mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from Bargain alerts.

I dont think tesco are out to mislead you, but they have been known to make pricing errors. Usually you get the item free when you are overcharged, but that changed a few months back and its now just the difference in price you get back rather than the item for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

It could have been a mistake but then Tesco are notorious for such errors... Funny how it's always to their benefit though. I mean it could go either way but it just so happens that it's the customer gets caught and not the store!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Pricing errors are not unheard of - just go to Customer Service and get it corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Wickerman1

I got a pack of Jacob's Rich tea for €1.49 in my weeks shopping on Tesco online. On delivery the pack has .99c on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kube

Yeah, true, it has worked the other way. But I just thought... in the space of 30 mins neither of the offers worked.:confused: so how many people lost out today alone!
    I guess you always have to check the receipt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Wickerman1 wrote: »
    I got a pack of Jacob's Rich tea for €1.49 in my weeks shopping on Tesco online. On delivery the pack has .99c on it!

What the hell would 50c have done for you anyway? That's not that outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

kube wrote: »
    Hi, this might be in thewrong section, but feel I need to warn people about tesco's latest scam....I purchased the '3 veg for the €'3 offer and it did not go through at the checkout... I was charged €2.63 extra,I then had to queue up at customer service and wait until some assistant somewhere in the store phoned back to customer service to say I was right. I then went to purchase the 'Any 3 fruit for €3' but this time I said to the checkout girl can you check that I have actually got the fruit for €3!. She looked at the screen and said 'No , sorry, I'll call the manager' again I had to wait at the checkout until the manager came back to the till with my fruit and tell me that 'yes I was right.' .....it was really busy in Tesco today and I just wonder is this a plan by Tesco to rip people off or is it a genuine mistake...Really?

Thats why i grow all my own veg ;)

Resi12 wrote: »
    What the hell would 50c have done for you anyway? That's not that outrageous.

well much better in their pocket then tescos till...

Wickerman1 wrote: »

What's on the packet is an RRP or Recommended Retail Price. The manufacturer prints them on the package for promotional purposes. However, the retailer is completely free to set their own prices, regardless of what is printed on the packaging.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    What's on the packet is an RRP or Recommended Retail Price. The manufacturer prints them on the package for promotional purposes. However, the retailer is completely free to set their own prices, regardless of what is printed on the packaging.

Are you sure about? laws must have changed so..

Laws only apply when a shop fails to oblige with the pricing that it sets itself i.e. it fails to correctly display shelf-edge pricing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Happyzebra wrote: »
    It could have been a mistake but then Tesco are notorious for such errors... Funny how it's always to their benefit though. I mean it could go either way but it just so happens that it's the customer gets caught and not the store!

It does go the other way too, and when it does it gets posted in bargain alerts :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 krusty_10

I went to get a few things for the school lunches last night and had one small shopping bag full when I was asked for 104 Euro. I thought that the bill hadn't been cleared from the person in front of me but no I was apparently buying the most expensive pack of chocolate chip cookies - 79.58 Euros for 6 cookies. Got it fixed straight away but certainly raised a few eyebrows from everyone in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I bought Tesco Value brand soap the other day. Listed on the self as 28 cents but rang up as 38 cents. Raging!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

kube wrote: »

Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

One way to get them to fix it is once you have been overcharged once and its verified as an overcharge go and buy up as much of those products as you can and get overcharged on them
    Present yourself to Customer Service and get twice the difference back and when thats done tell them youd like a refund on all the goods and theyll give you all your money back and youve made money!
    bet you they wont be long in sorting out their pricing 'glitch' then!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

I suppose you hardly want to hear that all that 3 for crap was gone off anyway,the kiwi's are black inside,the grapes aren't ripe and the pears are well hard also.Tesco fruit and veg is such a joke,lowest grade produce consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭donkey oatey

I had the same thing happen and it turned out that you can't mix fruit and veg. Was that what happened to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

One way to get them to fix it is once you have been overcharged once and its verified as an overcharge go and buy up as much of those products as you can and get overcharged on them
    Present yourself to Customer Service and get twice the difference back and when thats done tell them youd like a refund on all the goods and theyll give you all your money back and youve made money!
    bet you they wont be long in sorting out their pricing 'glitch' then!!!!!

They'd probably just say No, you can't have the refund on the products, and you'd be left with loads of whatever you were buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

krusty_10 wrote: »
    I went to get a few things for the school lunches last night and had one small shopping bag full when I was asked for 104 Euro. I thought that the bill hadn't been cleared from the person in front of me but no I was apparently buying the most expensive pack of chocolate chip cookies - 79.58 Euros for 6 cookies. Got it fixed straight away but certainly raised a few eyebrows from everyone in the queue.

wat
    79.58 Euros for 6 cookies.

wat
    79.58 Euros for 6 cookies.

it bears repeating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Tesco... I always check the receipt, they nearly always make errors on their offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

baaaa wrote: »
    I suppose you hardly want to hear that all that 3 for crap was gone off anyway,the kiwi's are black inside,the grapes aren't ripe and the pears are well hard also.Tesco fruit and veg is such a joke,lowest grade produce consistently.

I bought the bananas, apples, mango, nectarines, pineapple... All were perfectly fine, and I was charged 3 euros at the till

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nanazolie wrote: »
    I bought the bananas, apples, mango, nectarines, pineapple... All were perfectly fine, and I was charged 3 euros at the till

We've bought three or four lots with no screw-ups either.

Tesco have obviously got it in for the OP and a couple of others.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

What is the current Tesco policy on overcharges? It used to be that the item was free, then changed to a refund of double the amount overcharged. Anybody know the current policy? And where it can be viewed on their website or instore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I have two photos taken in Tesco - don't know how to upload from phone.

One is an item *REDUCED* from €2.34 to.... €2.45!

The other.. a great offer on cakes.. €1.50 each or TWO for €3!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

si_guru wrote: »
    I have two photos taken in Tesco - don't know how to upload from phone.

One is an item *REDUCED* from €2.34 to.... €2.45!

The other.. a great offer on cakes.. €1.50 each or TWO for €3!!!

No wonder why the Minister for Education is worried about our maths results :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Popsy

The same thing happened to me but as it turned out, I picked up a bag of bananas not in the promotion. Another customer had obviously picked up one bag, then when they saw the deal just picked up the 3 for €3 leaving the regular bag behind.

So now I always check the weight and description before picking up anything promotional, it saves on a the red face at customer service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Popsy wrote: »
    The same thing happened to me but as it turned out, I picked up a bag of bananas not in the promotion. Another customer had obviously picked up one bag, then when they saw the deal just picked up the 3 for €3 leaving the regular bag behind.

that's why I like the way M&S sticker all their chilled foods with details of the offer on it, so you know what's in hte offer and what's not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Happyzebra

Mactard

It does go the other way too, and when it does it gets posted in bargain alerts

I'm confused. Thought bargins were intentional acts by store to sell off a product. Didn't know they're mistakes made by store!!!!!

Advertisement