Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mealtime variety...

Options
  • 30-08-2011 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what other people here are doing about food for their kids...

Our two and ahlf year old fella eats well but theres no real variety, Its like he's decided he's going to eat one thing and thats it..

Breakfast is weetabix or readybrek, maybe some toast as well...he'll eat that no problem

Lunchtime tends to be spagetti bolagnaise. Always.

we've tried him with other stuff like casseroles and he refuses to eat it. we have found though that we can use the tomato sauce to smuggle other veg like spinach in. We also use salmon instead of mince.

Dinner is scrambled eggs, again its something he just took to, and again we can smuggle other stuff into.

Friends with kids say not to worry, as long as he's eating.

But i'd like him to try other stuff as well!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

What is it you think he likes about the bolognese? If its the saucy bit, pack it full of veggies (I've often put carrots, celery, peas and sweetcorn as well as onions and mushrooms) and I also put beans in my bolognese. You could then put it on a bed of mashed spuds or rice instead of pasta.

If its the pasta that he likes, try other pasta dishes - carbonara, macaroni cheese. Again you can sneak veggies into these dishes.

Instead of scrambled eggs, you could try different omelettes.

Does he feed himself? Giving him foods that he can easily feed himself might encourage him to eat different things. My daughter pretty much only feeds herself, a typical day is -

Breakfast - Toast

Lunch - Bread, cheese, ham, tomato

Mid Afternoon - Fruit (grapes/apple/banana)

Dinner - Whatever we are having and usually some strawberries after.

Treats include yoghurt covered dried fruit, grapes, raisins, biscuit, chocolate buttons, cheesy crisps, smoothie, actimel

She only drinks water and milk

Advertisement