Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia to Blackberry

Options
  • 30-08-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hii, I currently have a Nokia N8 but Im getting fed up with it too tempermental at times yet its a good phone. Anyhow am thinking of moving to Vodafone (am with Meteor) to get the new Blackberry Bold 9900. Is this worth the move?? Apreciate any help and maybe reviews of what people who have the Blackberry think

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Depends what you want. The full qwerty is very useful, but losing the N8 camera is a big lose imo. Dont get it, unless you are getting the BB services with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I'm a bit biased but I think the 9900 is superior to the N8. I haven't used an N8 but have got to try a friends. And I own a 9900. Touchscreen with the best keyboard on a device today makes it an easy choice for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

use to have a nokia E72 and loved the qwerty keypad. Its one of the thing I liek about BB. Yes I would miss the camera and sat nav on my E8

Sta nav apps available (which talk back) and google maps has built in navigation (without speech though) and it's free
    9900 camera records 720P but always in focus (not autofocus) 5MP camera isn't the best. But in saying that if you're buying a phone for a camera then maybe you should buy a proper camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

True, but the N8 allows me to leave my camera at home more often, it was never really a replacement.

As for switching to a BB from Nokia, I wouldn't do it as RIM are in an even worse position to Nokia. While that may change for the better in the near future, I wouldnt buy a phone for a keyboard and email client.

• Advertisement

AHHH dont know what to do. Might just stick with the N8 for while yet.

The BB 9900 is on Vodafone and o2 on 18 and 24 month contract - is this the norm? Which network is best for a Blackberry?

I bought my BB9900 on pre pay from O2 (409.99 euro) and got it unlocked. I use it on the Three network. 18-24month contracts are the norm but I prefer buying devices outright and using them on sim only 30 day notice plans. That way I've flexibility and it can end up being cheaper. Currently I pay 30 euro for BIS, 250mins, 200sms, Free unlimited anytime landline calls, 3000mins 3 to 3 calls and 15GB data, with free inclusive roaming (data, calls, sms) in Northern Ireland, UK and Oz plus 5 other countries. It's a good deal for me and coverage is excellent. I'd recommend if you're trying to decide between O2 and vodafone, test their networks with pre pay sims. Both are very good for BIS so it's down to the price of the device and type of plan.

Sounds good cookie but thats a lot of money to buy the phone. Contract dont bother me really just like to know which network works best with Blackberry (ie cheapest to run a blackberry). Know Meteor are getting the new Bold in soon and am due a upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I bought my BB9900 on pre pay from O2 (409.99 euro) and got it unlocked. I use it on the Three network. 18-24month contracts are the norm but I prefer buying devices outright and using them on sim only 30 day notice plans. That way I've flexibility and it can end up being cheaper. Currently I pay 30 euro for BIS, 250mins, 200sms, Free unlimited anytime landline calls, 3000mins 3 to 3 calls and 15GB data, with free inclusive roaming (data, calls, sms) in Northern Ireland, UK and Oz plus 5 other countries. It's a good deal for me and coverage is excellent. I'd recommend if you're trying to decide between O2 and vodafone, test their networks with pre pay sims. Both are very good for BIS so it's down to the price of the device and type of plan.

Which tariff on Three is this cookie, looking into doing this myself but the 30 day contracts seem to just give flexi units and I can't see any mention of a BIS add-on in the site? I assume you have to go an unofficial route to get the O2 phone unlocked as well.

• Advertisement

Hi Crocked, I took the classic flex max for 30 euro a month (sim only). Request the Three reps here to add BIS to your account (it's free as the data it uses comes out of the AYCE data allowance).
    I used the expedited (3 canadian dollars) service for unlocking offered by www.freemyblackberry.com as the free service takes 24hrs and i couldn't wait that long ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Might get the 9900 myself if 3 launch it shortly the 9780 is growing on me. From doing a bit of research the battery is not as good as the 9780 would you agree cookie?
    One other major gripe I have with the 9780 is that it's very slow at loading on apps, I constantly get the spinning clock symbol and the phone more or less freezes and requires a reboot when the app is installed, does the new OS fix that problem?
    The keyboard is the one thing drawing me to it, the 9780 one could be a littler bigger and the 9900 is meant to be the best querty keyboard ever.

Decisions decisions......

Hi drunkmonkey. No it's not as good but remember it's a slightly smaller battery and it's now powering a touch screen and 2x processor compared with the 9780. Although in saying that I think after a couple of weeks the battery has broken itself in well and with the latest OS (7.0.0.353) battery life has noticeable improved. I'm now getting almost 2 days out of a single charge.

It doesn't bother me too much as I can charge every day anyway. No spinning symbol on this device with the 1.2ghz processor. Keyboard is the best keyboard in the smartphone business period. I've no qualms in saying that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thanks Cookie I might take a chance on it, i'm only starting to remember how productive I was before I got an iPhone and distracted by apps the 9780 has proved that to me just need a quicker version of it now.
    The blackberry is a great communicator so much more than most smartphones out there. I'd call it a phone for busy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Hi Crocked, I took the classic flex max for 30 euro a month (sim only). Request the Three reps here to add BIS to your account (it's free as the data it uses comes out of the AYCE data allowance).
    I used the expedited (3 canadian dollars) service for unlocking offered by www.freemyblackberry.com as the free service takes 24hrs and i couldn't wait that long ;)

Hi Cookie1977,

I finally got the finger out and just made the port over to 3 this afternoon. Better network coverage at a lower price, sure you can't beat that with a stick! Found the Three Reps on here and their CS on the phone very helpful and no hassle to deal with. Just need to break out the wallet now on the 9900!

Cheers for your help, I was looking at O2 before I saw your post and their tariffs are gone shocking!

oooh you wont be disappointed with the 9900 ;)

Yes O2 have made drastic changes to their plans unfortunately

Advertisement