Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband dropping on outside connection (help needed)

• 30-08-2011 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hoping you might be able to help me with this question.

My dad is trying to set up a music room in an old mobile home we have right outside the back of the house. He was going to move the router so it would be closer but I told him to try moving the box over to the window (so it would be in line) and see if it would work. It did, we got a two bar signal.

So now the problem, every time we connect out there it drops the Internet connection on the router (we get the red light on the box). Once you switch it off and back on again, it works until you try to connect out there again (it works in the rest of the house)

Anyone any ideas why this is happening and how we could fix?

Tks, Shinny

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What kind of broadband is this that the router needs to be near the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

It's a standard issued eircom netopia. It's a very old house (160+ yrs) and the walls are much much thicker than the houses built these days. Hence the trouble with getting an outside connection.

Putting it in line with the window helped pick up the connection but, as already explained, it keeps going to red.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Then I'm still confused by what's meant by outside connection. It's an ADSL line, being near the window shouldn't impact it?

It's wireless

So there's nothing wrong with the broadband connection at all? Have you tried changing the channels to avoid any interference?

• Advertisement

Now I'm confused ;) how do I do that?

You could also invest in a stronger antenna.

You can pick em up for a few bucks on amazon.

shinny wrote: »
    Now I'm confused ;) how do I do that?

It'll be on the router config page, probably at 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1.

NoDrama wrote: »
    You could also invest in a stronger antenna.

You can pick em up for a few bucks on amazon.

Yeh, I was thinking he might need a booster of some sort. I saw another thread on that in here earlier so I'll check that out. Thanks for the link.

Spear wrote: »
    It'll be on the router config page, probably at 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1.

Ok, tks. Will try that too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement