Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs of Installing a timer/thermostat on immersion tank

• 30-08-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

hi all,

i recently moved into a 1 bed apt that has pretty poor insulation around the immersion tank.

i want the LL to invest a bit of money and put in a proper lagging jacket...see the one linked..............(is this a good one?)

http://ie.sheepwoolinsulation.com/products.asp?cat=17

Also i'd like to get a timer & thermostat added for heating the tank when i'm not there (shift worker).

does anyone know the approx costs of buying a timer/thermostat and getting them fitted?

shouldn't be too pricey i would have thought?

thanks for any tips!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

does the cylinder have an outlet the sensor can screw into?

My guesstimate would be around 200 euro fitted should cover, but the sparks here will give a better cost.

Regarding billing, do you have a dual tariff meter i.e. day/night, or 24hour? If 24 hour, you can change to a dual tariff for free, and you could heat water at night using cheap rate electricity.

insulation is very helpful to tanks just make sure it's tight and thick (that sounds like such an innuendo!)

did the property come with a BER cert? bear in mind these cost about 200 to do...and you're legally obliged to one before buying or renting a property, end of story...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dardania wrote: »

My guesstimate would be around 200 euro fitted should cover, but the sparks here will give a better cost.

Regarding billing, do you have a dual tariff meter i.e. day/night, or 24hour? If 24 hour, you can change to a dual tariff for free, and you could heat water at night using cheap rate electricity.

insulation is very helpful to tanks just make sure it's tight and thick (that sounds like such an innuendo!)

did the property come with a BER cert? bear in mind these cost about 200 to do...and you're legally obliged to one before buying or renting a property, end of story...

BER cert costs 120 euro these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Dardania wrote: »

Hi. and thanks for your reply.

regarding the outlet sensor, i don't really know to be honest. the apt didn't have a BER cert, they seem to be the exception rather than the norm if you ask me.

i am on the dual tariff now as a night meter was installed recently. there is a storage heater in the living room, but to be honest i'm not sure i'll even use it as they are useless. there's a stove too. the apt is about 25yrs old i'd say, and detached which is rare, but this means a lack of heating from a neighbouring apt.

i'm tempted to go 24hr energy consumption rather than nightsaver as i don't really think i'll use 25-30% of my energy between 23:00-07:00.

would the lagging jacket linked be any better than a 'regular' one?

thanks again.

Advertisement