Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The De-Evolution of the 3-D Fighting Genre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

When I saw "devolution", I was hoping the author would be talking about how 3D games went from using "full 3D" arena physics (e.g. VF3, Tekken 4), back to flat, regular arenas.

Heck, VF3's animations IIRC had different animations for hit/blocked sweeps that got removed in VF4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shadowtengu

I was looking at the De-evolution from the perspective of variety of evolving species. However you do bring up a very point because fighting games have de-evolved in that sense. De-evolution can be viewed from different perspectives :) but your point is spot on!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Is that James Chen replying there?

I kind of agree with his point. The truly big FGs right now are the iconic ones (SF, Marvel, MK, Tekken) and there's an undertier of less well known games like BB and GG which, although arguably potentially better, don't have the iconicness of the big boys.

I don't think VF ever had an iconic character which did not resemble another bigger one (Akira/ Ryu, Jacky/ Paul Phoenix).

Character customization regardless is not a feature I think most "serious" players look for in a game. In fact, I have seen some fairly reasonable arguments put forward that alt costumes should be tournament banned ( Blanka's alt 3 in SSF4 makes it very difficult to keep track of him, and Dhalsim has one which is quite inconsistent with his hitbox). I don't think customisability should even really feature in the argument. But I would argue a fighting game needs to hit gold with it's character design or it simply won't remain in any casual players mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

I just know this will be brought up on Wednesday fights....... Or the next time James chen is on the mic..... More publicity yay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Is that James Chen replying there?

I kind of agree with his point.

Yeah after reading his reply I do too.

I remember I once watched a video of what I think was the Virtua Fighter 5 equivalent of Daigo beasting on someone else.

The only thing I can remember from that entire video, thinking back, was that his character had a massively distracting banner/flag on his back.

• Advertisement

I don't think VF ever had an iconic character which did not resemble another bigger one (Akira/ Ryu, Jacky/ Paul Phoenix).

Jacky came before Paul, silly Doom.

And I would like to argue that Jeffry, Shun Di and Lei-Fei have very distinctive designs/stances.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

And I would like to argue that Jeffry, Shun Di and Lei-Fei have very distinctive designs/stances.

Who came first is irrelevant, who is well known?

The fact you need to link these characters doesn't say much for their iconicness. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Without clicking on these I'll state my knowledge of the characters:
    Jeffry: That black one with the dreadlocks. Wears white gi trousers?
    Shun Di: I can only think of Lan Di from Shenmue
    Lei Fei: Thinking of Lei Wu-Long from Tekken. It's either that, or "old chinese guy with long moustache"

Clicked the links, 1/3 isn't too bad? Plus my idea of Lei Fei is pretty much Shun Di!

I stopped and thought about all the Virtua Fighter characters I can remember from my time in arcades, from a "distinctiveness of design" perspective, and then I had a look at the character roster.

Only characters I remembered were Jeffry and Wolf.

Who are featured at the bottom here.

Virtua_Fighter_Flyer_02.jpg

I'd like to add that Lion's Mantis stance is very distinctive. As are his high-pitched yells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Who is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

The most distinctive thing about all the characters you're mentioning is that universally nobody has any clue who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Now if it was Lion-O everyone would know who you were talking about.

Raises sword, "Thundercats HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Now if it was Lion-O everyone would know who you were talking about.

Raises sword, "Thundercats HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"

Maybe he could use that sight beyond sight to figure out who these VF chars are.

vf2_lion.gif

;_;

Is that a floatation vest?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's like how Titanic should have ended.

It's like how Titanic should have ended.
    VF2 release date: 1994

Titanic release date: 1997

VF2 PREDICTED LEONARDO DI CAPRIO.

Advertisement