Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weaned 6 week old puppy has diarrhea

• 30-08-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi all

I adopted mini yorkie mix at the age of 4 weeks and she is now 6 weeks old
    I no she is still to young to be away from her mother but her mother has passed away after giving birth and the pups had to be hand fed.
    She is weaned and is eating science plan mini pup and is eat well.
    I have just finished giving her a dose of parazol wormer for 3 consecutive days so she doesnt have worms and she has her parvo vaccination and passed all the tests for it.

Her poops were small and solid when i first got her and she was only going two or 3 times a day and now they are a caramel colour and very watery and she is passing wind when pooping and going up to 5 times a day(sorry for the stomach turning details).

I do have another old dog and i think she might have eaten some of her food witch i no will be to rich for a pup her size and will cause her to have diarrhea

But is there anything else that im doing wrong or could cause diarrhea other then her eating my other dogs food and what is the best way to get rid of the diarrhea for such a young dog without causing harm :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Yorkie's are prone to problems like this, fast the dog until tomorrow and then try a little boiled rice and chicken, no seasoning or anything, very small amount every 2 hours or so.
    Make sure she is drinking well, I saw someone here say they put a drop of marmite in the water to get the dog to drink more when sick, so you could try that.
    This should firm things up, then I would look at changing the food, what are you feeding?

Sorry just saw that you're feeding science plan, you could try another small breed pup food, Burns do a mini bites one my Lhasa was on it when I got her, it seems good.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

mymo wrote: »
    Yorkie's are prone to problems like this, fast the dog until tomorrow and then try a little boiled rice and chicken, no seasoning or anything, very small amount every 2 hours or so.
    Make sure she is drinking well, I saw someone here say they put a drop of marmite in the water to get the dog to drink more when sick, so you could try that.
    This should firm things up, then I would look at changing the food, what are you feeding?

She on science plan mini junior hypoallergenic

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I would try a different food OP, after going on mymo's advice for a day or two. Science plan is an okay food but I've found that it suits very few dogs as it actually has quite a high cereal content and leads to the dog absorbing less of the food than they should. in turn you get a build up of gas and runny poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How about either the boiled rice n chicken or Burns puppy mini bites..it's suitable for puppys but also suitable for adult toy breed dogs so she could stay on that food. My Papillon did great on it nice solid poops.
    As said fast the dog over night then start feeding small meals, plenty of fresh water, royal canin sensativity is great for when they have the runs as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I had a lot of problems with my dog due to food when she was a pup. I always found the best thing when she had a dodgy stomach was a piece of lamb boiled in a pot with a boil-in the-bag rice. This made the rice super-tasty and more likely to be eaten and even just the water from the pot helped get fluids back into her as she was more inclined to drink that than tap water. The main thing is to make sure the pup is getting enough fluids, as they can dehydrate and go down-hill very quickly with diarrhoea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement