Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confusion about MTB cassettes

• 30-08-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of ordering a new set of wheels and need to get a cassette along with them.

Was looking at the Deore ones in CRC but there seem to be two types of them, one is at 19.70eur (HG50) and the other is 25.49 (HG61).
    The chain on my bike is supposed to be "Shimano CN-HG53 108 links". If numbers are to go by then HG50 looks closer but the description says that chain compatibility is "Super Narrow HG" and I'm not too sure my chain is of that type.

Would anyone know what's the deal with the cassette types and chains? I'm now a little bit confused. Was thinking before that as long as the cog count is the same a cassette is a cassette and a chain is a chain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Was thinking before that as long as the cog count is the same a cassette is a cassette and a chain is a chain.
    Pretty much. The price difference is to do with weight and quality of materials.

The HG61 is 50g lighter. Go to the loo before you go for a spin and you'll save multiples of it. Save your money and go for the HG50.

Edit: Actually there is one consideration. The HG50 has a maximum sprocket of 34T. The HG61 comes in a 32 or 34T configuration. If your bike is currently set up for a 32T maximum sprocket, then the 34T will consume 2 more links and your chain may be too short, though probably not.
    MTB derailleurs can typically handle a 34T sprocket, but count the one on the bike at the moment to see what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Thanks Seamus. I'll be getting then the HG50 one. The current one has 32T max sprocket on it, will go for the same.

Advertisement