Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

loud banging in back boiler

• 30-08-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there, when i light the fire and get it going well with coal a loud banging noise seems to come into the back boiler which can last for ages. when i switch the circulating pump on it does not help. It was faulty for ages and i didnt bother to do anything with it till my oil burner give up and then i decided to change it. It is a wilo pump and is fitted in beside the fireplace. It is deffo working as when you remove the flat head screw in the middle of the pump and put a screwdriver in you can feel it turning and there is a small bit of water flowing out but nothing major. I notice the pipe going into the bottom of the pump is scalding hot where as the pipe coming out the top is not much better than luke warm and even the water coming out where the flat head screw goes is not really hot either. The rads down stairs are about half warm and the rads upstairs are cold. When i switch the oil on all rads are hot. Any help would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭valm

I dont want to scare you but when I had solid fuel heating I had this problem. I ignored it until the back boiler exploded (yes exploded) at the back of the fire. The water gushed up the chimney and then down again. It left some mess. We were out and the baby sitter called to Fire Brigade (Bright girl she saw steam and thought it was smoke). She got the children out contacted us and when the firemen arrived they turned off the water drained the pipes and tried to get the water out of the house.
    I was covered by house insurance but I have no desire to go through this again. The plumber said the pipes in the attic were quater inch and should have been half inch and the pump was not properly positioned to pump the water. He redesigned the whole system and we never had any more problems. We had the system installed by a reputable plumber in the first place but he cut costs and conned us and them went to the UK.
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

the loud noises could be because the boiler is overheating and this can be caused by sludge or the build up of lime scale (basically dirt) in the boiler and/or pipework.
    the filler valve may be blocked also and system can not top its self up
    a blocked chimney can cause overheating in boilers .

i would advice you get the solid fuel system cleaned and treated with the proper fluids and confirmed its working correctly and have your chimney cleaned aswell.
    I WOULD NOT USE THAT BACK BOILER UNTIL YOU DO THE ABOVE. IT COULD BE A TICKING TIME BOMB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I ignored all kinds of warning signs and got a big fright when the guy called out to fix it; it was so dogey he refused to let me use it and insisted in staying practically FOC to fix it he was so worried.

It's a bit like home Dentistry Kits; don't let it get to that! It's gas and as the OP said can blow up!!! Get a guy out!!' soon!!!

I ignored all kinds of warning signs and got a big fright when the guy called out to fix it; it was so dogey he refused to let me use it and insisted in staying practically FOC to fix it he was so worried.

It's a bit like home Dentistry Kits; don't let it get to that! It's gas and as the OP said can blow up!!! Get a guy out!!' soon!!!
    ITS NOT GAS ITS SOLID FUEL.BUT IF IT DOES BLOW HE WILL KNOW ABOUT IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wkdlegacy

ITS NOT GAS ITS SOLID FUEL.BUT IF IT DOES BLOW HE WILL KNOW ABOUT IT.
    Thanks guys but am finding it a bit odd coz when the old pump was faulty I had no noise but it was only when the new pump was fitted that it started this. I am wondering could your man fitted the pump the wrong way around and that's causing the noise? I did notice the water was very dirty/black when he removed the old pump.

• Advertisement

wkdlegacy wrote: »
    Thanks guys but am finding it a bit odd coz when the old pump was faulty I had no noise but it was only when the new pump was fitted that it started this. I am wondering could your man fitted the pump the wrong way around and that's causing the noise? I did notice the water was very dirty/black when he removed the old pump.

YOU STATED: when i light the fire and get it going well with coal a loud banging noise seems to come into the back boiler which can last for ages. when i switch the circulating pump on it does not help. It was faulty for ages and i didnt bother to do anything with it ...YOU HAVE GOT GOOD ADVICE FREE OF CHARGE. NOW STOP PENNY PINCHING AND GET IT SEEN TO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

wkdlegacy, No boiler should bang or kettle. There is no other advice aside from getting someone used to solid fuel to look over the system. As regards the pump are the valves on either side fully open if so then it does sound like a new pump is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hershey_vhi

I had a service for my boiler earlier this month, 1 week from the service my boiler started making rattling sounds (like stones in an empty plastic box) i'm not sure if the person who did the service did not do something properly or did something on purpose not sure. what are the reasons for these sounds coming from boiler?
    its heating all radiators just fine but sound is too luds and annoying.
    I called the same guy, he now says Heat ex-changer is gone and it will cost me 350euro for it and then pump some fluids for which 250 euro extra..i'm now regretting why did i get it serviced when it was all working fine. Any inputs appreciated...i want to get a second opinion..god its so expensive..not sure if the guy is telling the truth.(forgive me for not trusting..but "once burnt, twice shy" i've had bad experiences in the past...and this months been crazy on wallet) pls advice.

I had a service for my boiler earlier this month, 1 week from the service my boiler started making rattling sounds (like stones in an empty plastic box) i'm not sure if the person who did the service did not do something properly or did something on purpose not sure. what are the reasons for these sounds coming from boiler?
    its heating all radiators just fine but sound is too luds and annoying.
    I called the same guy, he now says Heat ex-changer is gone and it will cost me 350euro for it and then pump some fluids for which 250 euro extra..i'm now regretting why did i get it serviced when it was all working fine. Any inputs appreciated...i want to get a second opinion..god its so expensive..not sure if the guy is telling the truth.(forgive me for not trusting..but "once burnt, twice shy" i've had bad experiences in the past...and this months been crazy on wallet) pls advice.
    HI HERSEY_VHI,
    IT SOUNDS LIKE A PROBLEM WITH THE HEAT EXCHANGER "RATTLE NOISE".IT COULD HAVE A CRACK AND WHEN IT HEATS UP YOU HEAR THOSE TYPE OF RATTLE NOISES.
    THE FLUIDS HE IS TALKING ABOUT IS LIKELY AN INHIBITOR (STOPS CHEMICAL REACTIONS".
    WHEN HE SERVICED YOUR BOILER.IF THIS WAS VISUAL. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NOTICED AND WOULD HAVE BEEN AN ADDITIONAL COST TO REPAIR.
    SO GIVING YOUR SERVICE MAN THE BENIFIT OF THE DOUBT. HE PROBABLY JUST DONE A BASIC SERVICE AND DID NOT NOTICE THE DAMAGE TO THE HEAT EXCHANGER.

"HORSES FOR COURSES"

wkdlegacy wrote: »
    Hi there, when i light the fire and get it going well with coal a loud banging noise seems to come into the back boiler which can last for ages. when i switch the circulating pump on it does not help. It was faulty for ages and i didnt bother to do anything with it till my oil burner give up and then i decided to change it. It is a wilo pump and is fitted in beside the fireplace. It is deffo working as when you remove the flat head screw in the middle of the pump and put a screwdriver in you can feel it turning and there is a small bit of water flowing out but nothing major. I notice the pipe going into the bottom of the pump is scalding hot where as the pipe coming out the top is not much better than luke warm and even the water coming out where the flat head screw goes is not really hot either. The rads down stairs are about half warm and the rads upstairs are cold. When i switch the oil on all rads are hot. Any help would be great, thanks.

I've just thought could it be air? maybe it is not the same problem as me. Try bleeding all the rads it cant do any harm.

• Advertisement

valm wrote: »
    I've just thought could it be air? maybe it is not the same problem as me. Try bleeding all the rads it cant do any harm.
    IT COULD BE A RESTRICTION IN THE HEAT EXCHANGE.HOWEVER THAT USUALLY SOUNDS LIKE AN "AIROPLANE".DUE TO RESTRICTION IN THE FLOW.
    I CANT SEE BLEEDING THE RADS HAVING ANY ADVANTAGE OF FIXING THE NOISE FROM THE HEAT EXCHANGE.

IT COULD BE A RESTRICTION IN THE HEAT EXCHANGE.HOWEVER THAT USUALLY SOUNDS LIKE AN "AIROPLANE".DUE TO RESTRICTION IN THE FLOW.
    I CANT SEE BLEEDING THE RADS HAVING ANY ADVANTAGE OF FIXING THE NOISE FROM THE HEAT EXCHANGE.
    Well I have to say bleeding did not help me. I really recommend you have it looked at. The noise in mine was like someone hitting the pipes with a hammer and the sound vibrating through every pipe.

valm wrote: »
    Well I have to say bleeding did not help me. I really recommend you have it looked at. The noise in mine was like someone hitting the pipes with a hammer and the sound vibrating through every pipe.

BLEEDING THE RADS ONLY ALLOWS THE AIR BE RELEASED FROM THE TOP OF THE RAD.AIR WILL MAKE ITS WAY TO THE HIGHEST POINT OF A SYSTEM.THATS WHY YOU NEED TO VENT YOUR RADS.IF THEY ARE NOT AS HOT ON THE TOP AS THE BOTTOM.

HOWEVER TO FIX AN AIRLOCK. THE AIR HAS TO BE PUSHED TO THE HIGHEST POINT OR RELEASED FROM THE SYSTEM IN ORDER TO RECTIFY.

NOW "HERSEYS_VHI" " ISSUES IS DIFFERENT. THE HEATING SYSTEM IS WORKING (NO AIRLOCK) BUT THE BACK BOILER IS MAKING THE NOISE.MY EXPLANTION ABOVE.

& "WKDLEGACY" ISSUES ARE A LOUD BANGING NOISE FROM THE BACK BOILER (BUT OIL CENTRAL HEATING HEATED THE SYSTEM FINE ALSO NOTE HE STATES SOME RADS ARE ONLY HEATING FROM THE BACK BOILER).IT COULD BE AN AIRLOCK . BUT SOUNDS TO MYSELF AS OVERHEATING.MY EXPLANATION ABOVE.

DoneDL wrote: »
    wkdlegacy, No boiler should bang or kettle. There is no other advice aside from getting someone used to solid fuel to look over the system. As regards the pump are the valves on either side fully open if so then it does sound like a new pump is needed.

GOOD POINT ABOUT HAVING THE SYSTEM LOOKED AT. GREAT ADVISE.

HOWEVER IF THE PUMP VALVES WHERE CLOSED.HE WOULD NOT HAVE HEAT TO THE RADS. HE SAYS THEY ARE HEATING DOWNSTAIRS .

YOU STATE: As regards the pump are the valves on either side fully open if so then it does sound like a new pump is needed

HOW IS THAT GOING TO SOLVE THE LOUD BANGING NOISES FROM THE BACK BOILER.I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR OPINION and by the way donedl congrats again on them plumbing qualifiations.

HORSES FOR COURSES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Marcanthony
    The last time I checked the rules here, Slagging off was not permitted, or sarcasm towards other posters. The mods will be on top of you like a ton of bricks, It's not your personal forum where you are the almighty.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Marcanthony
    The last time I checked the rules here, Slagging off was not permitted, or sarcasm towards other posters. The mods will be on top of you like a ton of bricks, It's not your personal forum where you are the almighty.

JOHNIEK,
    I WAS ACKNOWLEDEGING HIS ABALITY TO GIVE GOOD ADVISE IN RELATION TO HIS POST AND I WAS MERELEY ASKING HIS OPINION TO HIS ADVISE IN RELATION TO HOW HIS THEORY OF REPAIR WOULD WORK AND SO THE ORIGINAL POSTER HAD A BIGGER INSIGHT INTO THE PROBLEM AND THE POSSIBLE REPAIR.

I WAS ALSO ACKNOWLEDGING THAT HIS RESPONSE WOULD BE APRECIATED DUE TO THE FACT HE HAS THE QUALIFICATIONS (NOT A NOVICE) AND I CONGRADULATED HIM ON THAT AGAIN.

AS HE DID STATE IN A PREVIOUS HE IS a time served, qualified and competent plumber with a sensible amount of qualifications

OPINIONS , PRAISE AND REQUSTING KNOWLEDGE FROM ANOTHER POSTER. I COULD NOT SEE AS SLAGGING AND SARCASM AND DUE TO THE FORUM NOT BEEN MY PERSONAL FORUM. THATS WHY YOU ARE ENTITLED TO ADVISE MYSELF IN RELATION TO THE RULES.IN RELATION TO YOUR COMMENT (It's not your personal forum where you are the almighty) I HOPE THE MODS DO NOT COME DOWN ON YOU LIKE A TON OF BRICKS.AS I WOULD TAKE ALMIGHTY TO REFERE TO GOD AND I DO NOT THINK REFERING OR MAKING A RESEMBALANCE TO A RELIGIOUS ICON WOULD BE PERMITTED ON A PLUMBING FORUM.UNLESS IT WAS JUST A BIT OF SLAGGING AND SARCASM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sardonic

Hi, I have noticed some knocking in my own backboiler, it was installed in 1989 and we live in a hardwater area. Just want to know much it would cost to desludge. Need to get it done before the winter.

sardonic wrote: »
    Hi, I have noticed some knocking in my own backboiler, it was installed in 1989 and we live in a hardwater area. Just want to know much it would cost to desludge. Need to get it done before the winter.
    How many rads in the house and do you have a dual system?
    answer the questions and ill give you a guide price and ill tell you why I also asked them questions.

How many rads in the house and do you have a dual system?
    answer the questions and ill give you a guide price and ill tell you why I also asked them questions.

Its a bungalow with 7 rads and its a solid fuel system.

Its a bungalow with 7 rads and its a solid fuel system.

hi sardonic,
    the reason i asked the questions was to determain what needed to be cleansed. approx 300 euro ( a jesse james could do it a lot cheaper)to power flush the system and a service approx €80(again jesse could do it cheaper).i would say 380 + vat 13.5% (for most of the legite) €431.30. additionals been inhibitors approx 30 euro.............................ball park 450 euro.

• Advertisement

hi sardonic,
    the reason i asked the questions was to determain what needed to be cleansed. approx 300 euro ( a jesse james could do it a lot cheaper)to power flush the system and a service approx €80(again jesse could do it cheaper).i would say 380 + vat 13.5% (for most of the legite) €431.30. additionals been inhibitors approx 30 euro.............................ball park 450 euro.[/QUOTE

Thanks Marcanthony for that, will be ringing a plumber Monday morn.

hi sardonic,
    the reason i asked the questions was to determain what needed to be cleansed. approx 300 euro ( a jesse james could do it a lot cheaper)to power flush the system and a service approx €80(again jesse could do it cheaper).i would say 380 + vat 13.5% (for most of the legite) €431.30. additionals been inhibitors approx 30 euro.............................ball park 450 euro.[/QUOTE

Thanks Marcanthony for that, will be ringing a plumber Monday morn.

no problem. however your acknowledgement is appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 the plumber

ye probably need a power flush your heating system or when the last person changed dthe pump they turned it the wrong way!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jr1984

Hi I know this is an old thread, I just moved in to a (student) house in maynooth, and i am lighting fires, the radiators upstairs seem to be heating up and the water up stairs, but downstairs everything is still cold, any suggestions?

Advertisement