Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Wages

Options
  • 30-08-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Posting anonymously here.

I'm working for a company that is sailing pretty close to the wind financiall atm. A service industry.

ATM, there is talk of a takeover by another company. Some of their staff did come in and do a reccy. And we had a new manager in, reorganising us. Trying to re-arrange bookings etc so that we could minimise our costs. We've lost quite a few staff recently and they haven't been replaced but business is down so its manageable. We're working harder but we're still working.

Our front of house manager who also looks after the books and stuff reckons that we might not get paid at the end of this week because he reckons there isn't enough cash in the account that is normally used to pay our wages. But we have been taking money in from customers and some of this is still locked in the safe.

If we don't get paid at the end of the week or if our cheques bounce, could anything be done about us taking a similar amount from the company takings in the safe? Or what else could we do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If we don't get paid at the end of the week or if our cheques bounce, could anything be done about us taking a similar amount from the company takings in the safe? Or what else could we do?

I would be extremely slow to do this; I'd be surprised if it's not considered theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

It would definitely be theft if you took money from the safe.

A better idea would be to insist on an advance cash payment at the end of each day worked, which they can then deduct from the payroll run. It wouldn't have any tax implications and everyone would be happy.

All the staff should refuse to work until this arrangement can be agreed.

Advertisement