Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

clamped while on mercy mission

Options
  • 30-08-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I was clamped on Saturday night by NCPS while on a genuine emergency mercy mission, at which the Gardai were in attendance.
    I hadn’t been able to get in touch with my mother for two days and became worried about her due to her medical condition. My brother lives across the road from her and rang to say that there was evidence that she was inside her ground-floor apartment but could not respond. I immediately drove to her residence and as there was no parking out front (double yellow lines) I drove to the rear of her apartment and parked 30-40 yards from her window in the residents only carpark, where no individual parking spots are marked.

Having seen the evidence for myself I, shaking, rang the Gardai and asked them to come as we wished to break into the apartment. I went across the road to take care of my brothers kids while he, with Garda assistance, gained access through the rear window. When I rang about half and hour later, I found out my mother had indeed been inside and unable to respond, and further more was told by my brother that my car had been clamped.

I ran over to the clampers to ask why and they said I had no parking permit. I explained the emergency situation, they said they didn’t know that it was my car. Absolute rubbish! My brother (who was still there repairing the window, the Gardai having left) told them from the start. Then they said that if he hadn’t had such an attitude, they may not have clamped me…… seriously. So, 120 euro to get my car back.

It gets worse. NCPS left, then I left to borrow a car to use to retrieve the belongings from my car. When I returned, NCPS and Gardai were there. NCPS said someone had tried to break clamp off my car so fined me an extra 65 euro. They accused my brother and gardai threatened to arrest him. So, in the presence of the Gardai and NCPS I rang NCPS controller and explained situation and debated reason behind my parking there. Gardai were willing to confirm to controller the nature of the emergency situation. Controller was rude and unhelpful. Refused to negotiate and when I asked him politely to stop calling me ‘Mam’ he said he I will call you Mam. Ignorant sod.

Anyways, any suggestions as to what I should do, without getting in trouble with the law? This is important, I really don’t want any criminal record. I do need to do some maintenance to my car (UK reg and MOT due soon…). Front wheels need looking at. If I remove clamped wheel clamp remains on car as it is attached to something in axle area. Am unemployed following redundancy and not claiming state benefits so am officially skint! Was looking into selling car due to finances so may have to abandon the car to NCPS now. My first car and am devastated…. Plus seriously out of pocket.

If I had the finances I would take this all the way to the courts, as high as I needed to go. These guys are ruthless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

IF you can leave the car parked up for 5 days the clamp will be taken off as they will not be making money leaving it there

............ Am unemployed following redundancy and not claiming state benefits so am officially skint! .........

Claim state benefits if you are entitled to them ;)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Claim state benefits if you are entitled to them ;)
    Me and my mates had the same attitude for a while when we thought we were holier than thou..... now we claim every cent when we are out of work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27 firefly2327

Yes, have been living in hope that I would find something again quickly. Country in a bad enough state at the moment without me adding to the burden, but looking like I need to now :(

Yes, have been living in hope that I would find something again quickly. Country in a bad enough state at the moment without me adding to the burden, but looking like I need to now :(
    I'd leave the car where it is for the moment. If they remove the clamp and you get a bill ignore it unless they were clamping on behalf of the council.

After that get down to your social welfare office tomorrow and start your claim.

Nobody will pat you on the back for being a hero in this current climate. You have all your life to pay the state back with your taxes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

NCPS said someone had tried to break clamp off my car so fined me an extra 65 euro. They accused my brother and gardai threatened to arrest him. So, in the presence of the Gardai and NCPS I rang NCPS controller and explained situation and debated reason behind my parking there. Gardai were willing to confirm to controller the nature of the emergency situation.

Gardai threatened to arrest him for what exactly. NCPS nave no rights to clamp your car. Once you asked them to remove it the gard shoulda collered the clampers for illegally clamping your car.

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I'd leave the car where it is for the moment. If they remove the clamp and you get a bill ignore it unless they were clamping on behalf of the council.

Mmm. Since the car is registered in the UK and I am technically resident there still, I'd wonder if they'd bill me there? They may get me when I make my move back here official though. I'd be tempted to let them. I'd take it to court.
    Of course, this is only an issue if they do remove the clamp, if they dont......

In fairness you have been made redundant, you paid taxes while you working, plenty of folks happily have been on the scratch when there were plenty of jobs. You are entitled to sign on, it's not a favour the state are doing for you, it is your entitlement. You are exactly the sort of person social welfare is meant for. Please do sign on asap and claim what is due to you.

Apologies for the off topic mods but persuading this chap to sign on I feel is more beneficial then discussing the clamping issue.

Edit........ mmmmmmmmmmm

squod wrote: »
    Gardai threatened to arrest him for what exactly. NCPS nave no rights to clamp your car. Once you asked them to remove it the gard shoulda collered the clampers for illegally clamping your car.

NCPS told the Gardai that he had done it. It's criminal damage if he did, an arrestable offence. As it was a private carpark and there were signs up (not that I was minding the signs in my rush.. having a potentially dead mother lying yards away tends to be a distraction) apparently they were withing their rights to clamp. They repeatedly said that they could do nothing to get the clamp removed, none of their business.

johnos1984 wrote: »

Mmm. Since the car is registered in the UK and I am technically resident there still, I'd wonder if they'd bill me there? They may get me when I make my move back here official though. I'd be tempted to let them. I'd take it to court.
    Of course, this is only an issue if they do remove the clamp, if they dont......
    They will removed if its on the car for 5-7 days and no contact is made by you.

It's a case of who breaks first.

Of course if the clamp is already damaged maybe in MIGHT just happen to fall off the rest of the way........

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    In fairness you have been made redundant, you paid taxes while you working, .

Yep, but worked in UK. Have made enquiries and apparently I can claim my UK benefits here, provided I work for at least one week here first. Unfortunately I'm not very employable as far as the more abundant jobs are concerned (over qualified - so much for bloody education) and jobs in my profession are extremely scarce... Will likely be returning to UK (minus car!) so that I can claim benefits in order to feed myself. Strange world:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

NCPS told the Gardai that he had done it. It's criminal damage if he did, an arrestable offence. As it was a private carpark and there were signs up (not that I was minding the signs in my rush.. having a potentially dead mother lying yards away tends to be a distraction) apparently they were withing their rights to clamp. They repeatedly said that they could do nothing to get the clamp removed, none of their business.

NCPS interfered with the free movement of your vehicle which is a criminal offence as they have no authority to do so, they operate in a completely unlicensed area in Ireland and will never ever take a person to court for removing one of their clamps as it will make be thrown straight out of court. Personally I would cut it off whether I had to do it with a nail file and spend a month doing it, I wouldn't give them one cent and if the Gardaí are getting involved and citing criminal damage I would respond by quoting the Road Traffic Act and I would take their badge number and report them to the Garda Ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I removed 3 NCPS clamps off cars parked beside each other and never heard anything about it. They're exploiting a legal grey area and most people make the mistake of paying.

Wait until the car is on it's own so there are no witnesses. Take your trusty bolt cutters and you'll have it off in no time. The biggest problem is responsibly getting rid of the clamp. DO NOT LEAVE IT THERE as it's evidence of criminal damage. That's the only way you'll get in trouble.

DO NOT PAY THOSE F******!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

seriously. So, 120 euro to get my car back.
    It gets worse. NCPS left, then I left to borrow a car to use to retrieve the belongings from my car. When I returned, NCPS and Gardai were there. NCPS said someone had tried to break clamp off my car so fined me an extra 65 euro. They accused my brother and gardai threatened to arrest him.

You might get back onto the Gardai that threatened to arrest your brother and get them to read the law for themselves. The clamper is the only person who has broken the law here. Don't accept their inevitable "ah sure that's a civil matter" line for an answer. It's clearly laid out that the clamper has committed a criminal and arrestable offence by immobilising your car in a public place. Privately owned car park or not, you were able to drive in there, making it a public place in the law.

You're also well within your rights to do whatever you so wish to whatever they've decided to attach to your car. They've effectively made it your property now. You can call them and demand a supervisor, and then quote the law I've linked to (which they are well aware of) and after a good row they might remove it. Or you can find your own creative way to remove it, preferably one that renders it useless if they want it back.

In fact, if you like you can remove it and send them an invoice for the return of the clamp :)

NCPS interfered with the free movement of your vehicle which is a criminal offence as they have no authority to do so, they operate in a completely unlicensed area in Ireland and will never ever take a person to court for removing one of their clamps as it will make be thrown straight out of court. Personally I would cut it off whether I had to do it with a nail file and spend a month doing it, I wouldn't give them one cent and if the Gardaí are getting involved and citing criminal damage I would respond by quoting the Road Traffic Act and I would take their badge number and report them to the Garda Ombudsman.

Ah, but road traffic matters and criminal damage are two entirely different things.... I don't want to be 'done' for the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Am I the only one who calculates the cost/benefit of things like this? Surely in this case the benefits outweighed the costs, so you're still a winner even with a fee to pay to have your car released?

M

langdang wrote: »
    Am I the only one who calculates the cost/benefit of things like this? Surely in this case the benefits outweighed the costs, so you're still a winner even with a fee to pay to have your car released?

That's the reason shipping companies pay pirates off Somalia to have their ships released, not realising that this only encourages the whole thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I'd have his badge number OP. I'd have probably told the gard off goodo for letting those scumbags near my car in the first place. Report the incident to the ombudsman.

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/

. Privately owned car park or not, you were able to drive in there, making it a public place in the law.

In fact, if you like you can remove it and send them an invoice for the return of the clamp :)

Dougie, I like your thinking ;), and thanks for the link
    Don't suppose you have any link confirming it's considered a public place in law? I'm digging my heels in deep on this one, I don't want to give them an inch (or cent!), unless I really have to.

M

Public place...
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0007/sec0049.html
    (iv) by the substitution for the definition of “public place” of the following definition:

“‘public place’ means—

(a) any public road, and

(b) any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge;”;

• Advertisement

That's the reason shipping companies pay pirates off Somalia to have their ships released, not realising that this only encourages the whole thing ;)
    :D You don't have to go as far as Somalia at all lad! Plenty of vested interests payed out to bumped up cowboys far closer to home ;););)

No offence but I think your calculator needs batteries. I fail to see how paying 185 euro, which I have earmarked for little things like food.... ''benefits'' me, especially when i have done nothing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Dougie, I like your thinking ;), and thanks for the link
    Don't suppose you have any link confirming it's considered a public place in law? I'm digging my heels in deep on this one, I don't want to give them an inch (or cent!), unless I really have to.

Sure :)
    “public place” means any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge;

Don't let the Gardai away with threatening your brother either, if you got their shoulder numbers report them to the Ombudsman, they haven't a clue about their job.

squod wrote: »
    I'd have his badge number OP. I'd have probably told the gard off goodo for letting those scumbags near my car in the first place. Report the incident to the ombudsman.

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/
    But have the VRT etc in order first maybe? ;)

No offence but I think your calculator needs batteries. I fail to see how paying 185 euro, which I have earmarked for little things like food.... ''benefits'' me, especially when i have done nothing wrong.
    In the grand scheme of things, it was a genuine emergency worth breaking in a window for? Are your family picking up the tab for the window? It was worth it, ya?

Oh don't worry, everything on the car is kosher, tax, mot and insurance all up to date at present (all UK and fully covered in Europe).

In the grand scheme of things, it was a genuine emergency worth breaking in a window for? Are your family picking up the tab for the window? It was worth it, ya?

The fact that my mam is okay is great, don't get me wrong, I'm happy about that obviously. Would you be happy if some halfwits tried to extort a large chunk of your funds in return for checking on your mother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Zoltar1

Utter B**TAR*S !!

Hope Mum was OK - I wouldn't seek retribution though, you'll only get stressed out even more and get nowhere with these mindless people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Sure :)

Don't let the Gardai away with threatening your brother either, if you got their shoulder numbers report them to the Ombudsman, they haven't a clue about their job.

What stupid advice!!!
    NCPS made a complaint of criminal damage by her brother so the Garda was fully within his rights and duty to warn her brother that participating or even intending to participate in such activity could result in his arrest.

• Advertisement

Oh don't worry, everything on the car is kosher, tax, mot and insurance all up to date at present (all UK and fully covered in Europe).
    But you're worried about trouble with the law? Why, m'am?

Advertisement