Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Please/External student

• 30-08-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I want to take the Leaving Cert exams in 2012, but am in the dark to how i would do this. See I left secondary school in the year 1994 and was at that time in 5th year. But things have probably changed in the educational system since my day.

I have read some tidbits of information online, so not totally in the dark about how to go about this endeavor. But is this information correct?

I have to apply to a secondary school and ask the principal of that school can i sit there in June? I live in Limerick County.

If i do find a school this is more of question. Is there anything else i have to do between September and June, but learn and study and do the exams?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, you apply to the SEC.
    See this page: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ec
    The pages will be updated later this year for the 2012 exams.

Some subjects which have project or field work as part of the final assessment will need a teacher to sign off that such work was your own. Without knowing what subjects you are doing, I can't say if this is the case for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭steve84

There are some places that run a Repeat Leaving Cert course in one year where you attend classes for the year and then sit the exams there in June.

I was kind of in the same situation as you, I left secondary school in 5th year in 2000. I went back last year and did 4 LC Higher Level subjects on a 1 year Repeat Leaving Cert course in the institute of further education in Carlow. Wasn't easy but I worked hard and it was worth it, got my 4 honours and heading to TCD in a few weeks.

I'm sure there's similar places in Limerick if you want to go the route of classes for the year.

Best of luck with it anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

spurious wrote: »
    No, you apply to the SEC.
    See this page: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ec
    The pages will be updated later this year for the 2012 exams.

Some subjects which have project or field work as part of the final assessment will need a teacher to sign off that such work was your own. Without knowing what subjects you are doing, I can't say if this is the case for you.

Thanks Spurious for the Info.

Maths and English and was looking to do, History and Geography, Economics, Business, and maybe one of the sciences_ Physics or Biology.

Well it seems it much hard nowadays for external students to sit the Leaving cert. It really is going to be some task for me to get a teacher to sign of on work done outside of school.

Like how would you even go about asking a teacher to do this for you, when to them your just a stranger?
    steve84 wrote: »
    There are some places that run a Repeat Leaving Cert course in one year where you attend classes for the year and then sit the exams there in June.

I was kind of in the same situation as you, I left secondary school in 5th year in 2000. I went back last year and did 4 LC Higher Level subjects on a 1 year Repeat Leaving Cert course in the institute of further education in Carlow. Wasn't easy but I worked hard and it was worth it, got my 4 honours and heading to TCD in a few weeks.

I'm sure there's similar places in Limerick if you want to go the route of classes for the year.

Best of luck with it anyway! :)

Thanks Steve. I can not afford private education, but wanted to do the Leaving Cert next June, but study at home for it. I would have no problem with asking schools around my area, would they be gracious to allow me to sit the Leaving cert exams at their school, but me asking Teachers to sign off on project work i have done has me worried!

Well I couldnt afford private education myself. I don't know if you're working or not but I was unemployed myself. Here is where I done it..

http://www.carlowife.ie/repeat-leaving-certificate.aspx

It's an institute of further education and it's connected to a secondary school.

It shows there that the fees are €400, but I was unemployed and had medical card and only had to pay €5 fees for the year!

Maybe there's somewhere similar in Limerick. If you're unemployed there are usually VTOS leaving cert courses run by the local VEC. Have you looked on qualifax?

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=15

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    Like how would you even go about asking a teacher to do this for you, when to them your just a stranger?

If you have any contact in a school, maybe a relative's school or the school you went to, you could arrange to drop in to a teacher every three weeks or so for about ten minutes to show them what you have been doing.

I know if someone asked me, I'd have no problem with it, but I would not sign anything unless I could actually hand on heart say that it was the person's work.

The History essay you can alone do with a little guidance, but the Geography Field Study is a bit more complicated. Call into your local school and ask to have a short chat with a Leaving Cert Geography teacher. They might have a suggestion.

If there were any night classes near you doing the LC, that might be the ideal solution, as well as giving you some peer support from others in the same boat.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Naryclaire

Hey-sat a LC subject as an external student, I had no problem at all asking my school to take me back for it, and they had no problem at all at all letting me cos they don't actually have to do anything beyond maybe fill out a form thet'd be sent out to them. They literally just have to provide your desk, that's it. My own course didn't involve any coursework to be looked over, but you'd do well to check if Julie Kilmartin's would agree to do your lookovers for X amount if needs be. Though my own school couldn't have been more helpful, so I'd say ask at your own school and thery might really surprise you. People tend to looke really well on you being self-motivated enough to go back, willing to help.

If you have any contact in a school, maybe a relative's school or the school you went to, you could arrange to drop in to a teacher every three weeks or so for about ten minutes to show them what you have been doing.

I know if someone asked me, I'd have no problem with it, but I would not sign anything unless I could actually hand on heart say that it was the person's work.

The History essay you can alone do with a little guidance, but the Geography Field Study is a bit more complicated. Call into your local school and ask to have a short chat with a Leaving Cert Geography teacher. They might have a suggestion.

If there were any night classes near you doing the LC, that might be the ideal solution, as well as giving you some peer support from others in the same boat.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for their replies and helpful information, and sorry like just have not got the time to reply to everyone here, but thanks again, to everyone, who has replied to me.

A question- Would writing a letter to the school be a good thing?

Would it be acceptable to ask the principal of the school for help with looking over my project work an so on?

When is it students start doing the project work? As you see i am totally in the dark to how this all works.

There's no need to write a letter to the Principal.
    You need to call into to a school where you know someone and ask (or make an appointment) to speak briefly to the LC Hist and Geog teachers.

They will give you guidance and maybe (if they like you!!) they will agree to supervise you. As I said, the Field Study will be more problematic than the History essay.

There's no need to write a letter to the Principal.
    You need to call into to a school where you know someone and ask (or make an appointment) to speak briefly to the LC Hist and Geog teachers.

They will give you guidance and maybe (if they like you!!) they will agree to supervise you. As I said, the Field Study will be more problematic than the History essay.

Thanks, I will go about doing that as soon as possible. One last thing please_ do any of the science subjects contain project work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Thanks, I will go about doing that as soon as possible. One last thing please_ do any of the science subjects contain project work?

Nope, the experiments just have to be wrote up in case of inspection but that is rear, no projects or anything apart from ag science.

The marks for the experiments appear on the papers themselves.

For example, in bio experiments are worth 15%, and in chemistry, around 38%.:)

• Advertisement

Sunny!! wrote: »
    Nope, the experiments just have to be wrote up in case of inspection but that is rear, no projects or anything apart from ag science.

The marks for the experiments appear on the papers themselves.

For example, in bio experiments are worth 15%, and in chemistry, around 38%.:)

Not sure if i am following you? Because you said the experiments just have to be wrote up in case of inspection, but that is rear.

But then you said the marks for the experiments appear on the papers themselves- like who corrects these experiments for you and are they done when you sit the exam or some other time?

Not sure if i am following you? Because you said the experiments just have to be wrote up in case of inspection, but that is rear.

But then you said the marks for the experiments appear on the papers themselves- like who corrects these experiments for you and are they done when you sit the exam or some other time?

sorry if i wasnt clear, each leaving cert science, bio, chemistry and physics, have special questions on experiments on the examination paper you sit in june.

No body will correct and assess these experiments when they are done during the year, as an inspector coming to the school is highly unlikely. You don't even have to write the experiments up, learn them from the book.

I don't know if you done jc science with the experiment booklet, its nothing like that anyway. No project elements at all

All experiments can be read from the books.

You will be examined on the biology/physics paper in june with the rest of the course. There on the examination papers that's it.

Your experiment section is marked like the rest of the paper.

For example: Biology

Section 1:
    Short Question

Section 2:
    Experiments

Section 3:
    Long questions

So there examined on the day and not before.

I hope i've made it clearer:)

Sunny!! wrote: »
    sorry if i wasnt clear, each leaving cert science, bio, chemistry and physics, have special questions on experiments on the examination paper you sit in june.

No body will correct and assess these experiments when they are done during the year, as an inspector coming to the school is highly unlikely. You don't even have to write the experiments up, learn them from the book.

I don't know if you done jc science with the experiment booklet, its nothing like that anyway. No project elements at all

All experiments can be read from the books.

You will be examined on the biology/physics paper in june with the rest of the course. There on the examination papers that's it.

Your experiment section is marked like the rest of the paper.

For example: Biology

Section 1:
    Short Question

Section 2:
    Experiments

Section 3:
    Long questions

So there examined on the day and not before.

I hope i've made it clearer:)

Much better and thank you kindly for the reply. It still would be risky, not having that lab book on the day of the exam, would it not?

I was thinking now of doing exams in_Maths English, Economics Business, Physics and Biology. And these particular subjects have no project work as far as i know which is a good thing. Like "Project' work is not a easy thing to go about and complete when your not going to school each day and everyday!

I am going to do seven subjects, so the last subject i will take be either History or Geography, its a choice between those two. I like History more, so it will probably be that subject i will take in June, all going well.

​Spurious said, the History project involves an essay! When do I start that? Do i learn what to do here from a Teacher? or can i find out about this from other sources online perhaps and know what to do then?

Thanks again everyone for all the good replies back to me.

Much better and thank you kindly for the reply. It still would be risky, not having that lab book on the day of the exam, would it not?

I was thinking now of doing exams in_Maths English, Economics Business, Physics and Biology. And these particular subjects have no project work as far as i know which is a good thing. Like "Project' work is not a easy thing to go about and complete when your not going to school each day and everyday!

I am going to do seven subjects, so the last subject i will take be either History or Geography, its a choice between those two. I like History more, so it will probably be that subject i will take in June, all going well.

​Spurious said, the History project involves an essay! When do I start that? Do i learn what to do here from a Teacher? or can i find out about this from other sources online perhaps and know what to do then?

Thanks again everyone for all the good replies back to me.

no prob:)

i never done history unfortunately so cant help.

I don't even think the lab books are required, we wrote them up in pages.

Some we didn't write up at all.

On the day you don't need any lab book.

99% you'll be ok, and there won't be an inspection, but unfortunately there is the minor risk, if your worried I'm sure the school will advise.

Re the essay, have a look at these:

http://www.herald.ie/lifestyle/health-beauty/leaving-cert-study-guide-the-history-research-project-2502277.html

http://www.templehistory.dna.ie/research_topic.htm

Topic selection is key. Ideally something you have an interest in and local is always good. The narrower the focus the better. Talking to a History teacher would be a great help.

Re the essay, have a look at these:

http://www.herald.ie/lifestyle/health-beauty/leaving-cert-study-guide-the-history-research-project-2502277.html

http://www.templehistory.dna.ie/research_topic.htm

Topic selection is key. Ideally something you have an interest in and local is always good. The narrower the focus the better. Talking to a History teacher would be a great help.

Thanks spurious you've been very helpful.

But I've decided though now not to go with History instead i will go with Accounting.

So I am finally set on doing Maths, English, Physics, Biology, Economics, Business and Accounting.

Finally thanks to everyone on this thread who has helped me!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Definitely invest in Past Papers as soon as you can Kieran so as to keep you up to date on the exam layout etc.
    For English, you will need to know the prescribed poets for this year (unfortunately I cannot help as I did the LC last year) and also start up on your Shakespearean drama as soon as possible, i think this year is Hamlet again? You will definitely need a bit of guidance on that I'd imagine, English (especially Higher Level) is a tough tough course and we almost didn't get it completed in 2 years never mind one. Maybe try Eircom Study Hub for free grinds or Allhonours.ie for notes. You will also have to study three comparative texts on top of that. A huge course. If you don't need HL English I would recommend OL just to get the pass, its a lot less work as far as I know!
    I didnt do any of the other subjects your doing but keep a look out for decent grinds and midterm revision weeks (BRILLIANT for notes and worth the money)
    Best of luck to you!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

Actually, if finance is an issue, buying past papers is a needless expense.

All exam papers are available online for free at www.examinations.ie

Congratulations on getting back into education and good luck!

Just to remind you that the Maths Paper 2 will be a bit different this year too as the first changes for Project Maths are starting. Not too sure what questions are changing but it's "Strands 1 & 2" of the Project Maths syllabus coming in which are Probability and Statistics (Strand 1) & Geometry and Trigonometry (Strand 2). There is some information available here:

http://www.projectmaths.ie/overview/

Best of luck with it :)

smeal wrote: »
    Definitely invest in Past Papers as soon as you can Kieran so as to keep you up to date on the exam layout etc.
    For English, you will need to know the prescribed poets for this year (unfortunately I cannot help as I did the LC last year) and also start up on your Shakespearean drama as soon as possible, i think this year is Hamlet again? You will definitely need a bit of guidance on that I'd imagine, English (especially Higher Level) is a tough tough course and we almost didn't get it completed in 2 years never mind one. Maybe try Eircom Study Hub for free grinds or Allhonours.ie for notes. You will also have to study three comparative texts on top of that. A huge course. If you don't need HL English I would recommend OL just to get the pass, its a lot less work as far as I know!
    I didnt do any of the other subjects your doing but keep a look out for decent grinds and midterm revision weeks (BRILLIANT for notes and worth the money)
    Best of luck to you!!:)

Is this the right booklist for 2012? Its seems so to me, but just want to know for my own peace of mind.
    http://www.eurekasecondaryschool.ie/uploads/6/5/3/1/6531880/6th_yr__booklist_2011-12.pdf

[PDF] Leaving Cert. Booklist – 2011/2012
    www.mpps.ie/images/pdfs/booklists/6th_year.pdf

I have Eircom, so i will check that study hub! thanks for letting us know about this.

• Advertisement

steve84 wrote: »
    Just to remind you that the Maths Paper 2 will be a bit different this year too as the first changes for Project Maths are starting. Not too sure what questions are changing but it's "Strands 1 & 2" of the Project Maths syllabus coming in which are Probability and Statistics (Strand 1) & Geometry and Trigonometry (Strand 2). There is some information available here:

http://www.projectmaths.ie/overview/

Best of luck with it :)

Please tell me these changes will not involve project work?

Will the same maths book do for these changes?

Please tell me these changes will not involve project work?

Will the same maths book do for these changes?

you have the 'old course' maths book + the new supplement for project maths
    Its about e9 i think in shops. Oh and 'project maths' is just the name they came up with, maths is still the same, no project.

For accounting, you should get "modern accounting'

For biology, "discovering biology' is the best
    :)

Yep Sunny is right there is no project, it's just a name. There's just a new book with a cd that covers the changes to supplement the existing books afaik.

Advertisement