Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help - rent allowance/housing

Options
  • 30-08-2011 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Im currently homeless, need any advice possible??

Im a home owner, well when i lost my job over a year ago & ended a long term relationship, i moved out of my house and rented it out & moved back to my parents, which I thought was the right thing to do, as i could no longer afford the mortgage + all other expenses associated with a house & my parents house, their was plenty of room for when I have my kids,

buts things didn't work out living back in my parents and i had to leave!! :(

Im sort of stuck in limbo, as a friend of mine was in the same situation a few months ago and was told by the local housing officer, they wouldn't help him unless he moved back into his house, My tenants have signed another years lease,

Im really struggling as it is on social welfare payments

so does anyone have any advice for me???

thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

yikes, sounds complicated.

you might want to consult the state benefits board here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

from the sounds of things though, your house might be a blocker to you getting social housing/rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

horsebo wrote: »
    Im currently homeless, need any advice possible??

Im a home owner, well when i lost my job over a year ago & ended a long term relationship, i moved out of my house and rented it out & moved back to my parents, which I thought was the right thing to do, as i could no longer afford the mortgage + all other expenses associated with a house & my parents house, their was plenty of room for when I have my kids,
    buts things didn't work out living back in my parents and i had to leave!! :(

Im sort of stuck in limbo, as a friend of mine was in the same situation a few months ago and was told by the local housing officer, they wouldn't help him unless he moved back into his house, My tenants have signed another years lease,

Im really struggling as it is on social welfare payments

so does anyone have any advice for me???

thanks very much

You are entitled to serve your tenants notice if you require the accomodation for yourself.
    And it sounds like you need to do that and get by on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Zamboni wrote: »
    You are entitled to serve your tenants notice if you require the accomodation for yourself.
    And it sounds like you need to do that and get by on the dole.

Only if it's a Part IV tenancy, it's not, it's a fixed term, so unless it's written into the lease then OP could find himself illegally evicting his tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 horsebo

thanks for the help, I'm on the dole + where the house is situated is 50 miles from where my kids are living & 3miles from where I was living, talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place :(

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Could you sell the house, clear the mortgage and then you might qualify to rent where you want to be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 horsebo

I could sell the house alright, but im in negative equity of around €150k

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Sorry to hear about your situation. Best advice I can think of it to sell up now and get the pain over with :( Might help to reduce some of the pressure you might be under.

You may not be entitled to rent allowance for some time if you make yourself homeless (i.e. sell your house)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

January wrote: »
    Only if it's a Part IV tenancy, it's not, it's a fixed term, so unless it's written into the lease then OP could find himself illegally evicting his tenants.

The guy is homeless and 150k in negative equity.
    I wouldn't be in the slightest concerned about a potential PRTB judgment down the line if I was in this scenario.

Zamboni wrote: »
    The guy is homeless and 150k in negative equity.
    I wouldn't be in the slightest concerned about a potential PRTB judgment down the line if I was in this scenario.

Eh, I would if it potentially meant another 10k+ in settlement costs to the tenants he's evicting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement