Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big spiders Galway?

Options
  • 30-08-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

So I'm living in Galway a couple of years now, and I've never seen any big spiders. I'm a bit of an arachnophobe, btw. Dublin and Wicklow seem to have massive house spiders, and I've seen some big ones down home too (Midlands).

September's the month when a lot of them come out of the cold and into the house.

So, have the massive spiders gone West yet?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You can chillax until early October .....when they start barking at each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

markesmith wrote: »
    I've seen some big ones down home too (Midlands).

Have you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've spotted this in the past week, the b4stards must be trying to come back inside now that its getting cold again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

One came a calling to my house last week. He was enormous! With his legs out stretched he was honestly the size of my palm. I was torn between getting my camera to take a photo so I could prove it was as big as I say and killing him. In the end I whacked him I'm afraid... I couldn't risk him escaping and turning in my hair in the middle of the night.
    He was the first spider I've ever killed too. Usually I don't mind capturing them and letting them out but this one was frighteningly big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

One came a calling to my house last week. He was enormous! With his legs out stretched he was honestly the size of my palm. I was torn between getting my camera to take a photo so I could prove it was as big as I say and killing him. In the end I whacked him I'm afraid... I couldn't risk him escaping and turning in my hair in the middle of the night.
    He was the first spider I've ever killed too. Usually I don't mind capturing them and letting them out but this one was frighteningly big.

Right, that's not what I wanted to hear at all. Guess I'll have to make the move to Antartica :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Biggest one i'v seen,

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

The average person swallows around 8 spiders a year while asleep, but thats just a urban legend or is it BAHAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

There was a HUGE one living in my shed, you could even see its shed skin. Blleeeeeuuuggghhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

This dirty cocksucker was strutting his stuff around my house last year;

photo-1.jpg

photo-1-1.jpg

He was massive, easily the size of my hand. Showed the pics to a friend of mine who's an entomologist and he said it's nothing out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

ronnie3585 wrote: »

photo-1.jpg

photo-1-1.jpg

He was massive, easily the size of my hand. Showed the pics to a friend of mine who's an entomologist and he said it's nothing out of the ordinary.

we've spotted one or two 'false' black widows in our shed. They're more common than people think apparently, if you look up sightings. Not huge but a teeny bit naaaasteee. Google 'em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

photo-1.jpg

photo-1-1.jpg

Yup, this guy is a definite relation of the one I found last week. He had those big thick legs though the one I whacked may have had longer legs.
    They're crunchy little guys....not easy to kill.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

erks. Guys, please mark this thread as 'NSFW' - I almost fell of my chair screaming, waking half the office...;-P

This is the time of year for them, Aug-Sept.

Apparently they're in search of females, the males are the big ones.
    I threw a small female out a few weeks ago.

I'll never forget seeing a male walk across the clothes on my chair last year. I had the light off in bed watching the TV and it caught the corner of my eye.... freaked out i was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

They're crunchy little guys....not easy to kill.:(

There was no need to kill him. Think of all the dirty, smelly, disease ridden bluebottles he could have been laying the smack down on.

J*sus, I shouldn't have started this thread at all. That spider in the glass, you can see his eyes :eek:
    galah wrote: »
    I almost fell of my chair screaming, waking half the office...;-P

Lolz, sounds like a productive place!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Spotted this fella in the garden earlier this evening! Having his tea!

DSC_3399.JPG

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Spotted this fella in the garden earlier this evening! Having his tea!

DSC_3399.JPG

We have one of them too, gave him a slight poke and he started shaking the web to confuse me. It was cool.

None of those brown eight legged horses spotted this year yet. Can't wait! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

270522_238798369477632_100000424117521_910390_903006_n.jpg

Behind the window box at my kitchen window. Fag box for size comparison. Fast little bugger as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 GreenFaery

I now refuse to open my bedroom window, some spiders have made a nice home just outside it.

And I keep seeing ones with extremely long legs. They prop themselves up like they're on stilts....

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Jesus thats some big spider! Off the Benson about 4 months myself tell the spider to give them up he will fell alot better!

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Apparently they're in search of females, the males are the big ones.

Really? :confused:

Ficheall wrote: »
    Really? :confused:

Ya i was reading about them last year after finding one.

The females are no bigger than your run of the mill ones, I threw one out the window about a month ago.
    The males are meant to be those massive ones who leave to mate around Aug-Sept(ish).
    If they come into your house then there's probably a female in there somewhere.

Edit: http://www.uksafari.com/housespiders.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Oh you ****ers! Why did I open this thread :( Was reading in the paper last week that the really cold winter followed by the wet summer has made ideal breeding conditions for the little ****s, meaning they're gonna be a lot bigger this winter than previous years.
    They have a habbit of hopping down the wall next to my pc table late at night when they think everyone is in bed. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Thank god I'm not the only one. Last year, for about a month they were popping up nonestop all over my house, not in the typical areas you might think like just outside, they were in bedrooms, in the sitting room, in the computer room... (I'm from Galway City btw).

I hadn't seen them since, until last week when I was on my laptop in our computer room. I was right in the middle of playing a game and I caught something moving on the work service out of the corner of my eye, I knew straight away it was one of those huge spiders, thankfully I located a large magazine and did what had to be done. Since then I've spotted 2 others.... when it rains it pours they say... and I'm sure I'll find more.

I took a few photos of one I found in our garden last year, he was enormous. You know a spider is too big when you can clearly see it's fangs and EYES.

To scale beside a large water bottle and a ball for the dogs.

410BF47EEDBF405A94DE5E5C6A782C87-0000337001-0001884515-00800L-DA49BB8589F94D52A8781406F5AE18F9.jpg

Look at those eyes....

C28C496F40F146ADBC986A8A2500642A-0000337001-0001884511-00800L-8DC22298303C4D30B867C202BDFD740E.jpg

Coming around that time again...haven't seen anything yet, but the apartment feels like an oven at the minute and I get jumpy anytime I feel something on my arm.

Anyone see any mad crazy arachnids down the West lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Oh God, why did I open this thread? Thankfully, I haven't seen any even approaching that size. If anything, there's been less of the "normal" ones too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

markesmith wrote: »
    Coming around that time again...

This thread relates to ~ September time.... :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

There was no need to kill him. Think of all the dirty, smelly, disease ridden bluebottles he could have been laying the smack down on.
    Uh I'll take my chances with the **** rubbing disease carriers thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Uh I'll take my chances with the **** rubbing disease carriers thanks

saw a v.big one last night in my shed.. a little less than 2" across.
    Will try stick up some photos later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

just found there's loads of spiders around - not necessarily big ones, just more of them. Ick. Don't mind them in the garden I guess, but I do object to them moving in...

Also, the cat dragged a may beetle in the other day - have not seen one of those in a very long time!

Advertisement