Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skills and qualities

• 30-08-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey there,

I'm 23 years old, and have just finished college with a B.A. in Computer and Electronic Engineering. I've always wanted to join the Garda but first wanted to experience the college life and get a degree under my belt in an area i had great interest in.

I know there's been the long debate on how long it will be until this recruitment drive starts up again, I'm just looking for ideas off anyone for certain activities/areas i can focus on for the time being, to build or add to my skills set which would add to an advantage when eventually applying for the Garda.

Like i said I'm just out of college with time to kill, I've even started to teach myself Irish as I was exempt from the language in school due to moving over from England when i was 16 (I know Irish is not a requirement.)

I apologise if there is already a post similar to this one.

Regards,
    Sean.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

Best thing to do if you wish to join full time is to join the garda reserve. alot of us in it are just doing are time so we can join up full time. You will learn alot in it and it will stand to you when joining up

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Veni Vidi Vici

Are you posted close to your home address once you become a member of the reserves? (Strictly thinking in terms of travel costs as i am unemployed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

you will not be based in your on home area but all so you will not be sent a 100 miles away. the best thing you can do is go to the reserve page in here and any questions you could have will be answered in there. and just a bit of advice if you wish to join the reserve you would be best to apply A.S.A.P. as we will be soon at our limit of 10% of the force in the next year and there will be no more joining

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Veni Vidi Vici

Thanks for the advice I wasn't aware of that. I've been thinking of joining it for a while, I suppose it'll offer a great insight into the career and if it's right for me.

Advertisement