Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone recommend a good dog training book

• 30-08-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

just as above really have a 7 year old staff who is like a 6 month old pup and i need to get him some serious training...also was thinking of getting him neutered if that would calm him down any?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

How long have you had the dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

These are 2 of my favorite authors regarding dogs.
    Patricia McConnell
    Stanley Coren
    I can't recommend having a read of some of their books strongly enough, because you will get an idea of what to do and WHY you should do it, instead of just going through the motions as some books do.
    Learning a bit about how dogs think and see the world will help you train your dog in a way best suited to him.
    With a totally untrained 7 year old you might need a bit of professional help, but reading a few good books first would help you enormously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

+1 on Patricia McConnell, I'm not familiar with the other guy, but I can't recommend McConnell enough. I have a puppy training book by her that covers the very basics. It says it's for pups, but has great tips about basic training in general so would definitely be suitable for your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

another +1 on Patricia McConnell, one of her books is responsible for my dog going from an uncontrollable lunatic to a well behaved house dog! I'd love to tell you what it was called but I passed it on to a friend of mine so don't have it anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

The 1st Cesar Millan book is very good, not so much about typical training but gives a great understanding about how you should be connecting and working with the dog.

7 is probably a bit late to be neutering him but I would. Ideally, he should have been neutered years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Learning a bit about how dogs think and see the world will help you train your dog in a way best suited to him.

the dogs mind by bruce fogle. this book gives a great insight into dogs behaviour. its one of the books cesar milan lists as a reference book at the back of his own books. very easy reading. but i would strongly recommend going to obedience classes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

"The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson.

I think you could read a dozen books on the topic but really the best advice has been given above...go to a class with him or get a dog trainer in - or better still, both!

Good Luck!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

axle108 wrote: »
    the dogs mind by bruce fogle. this book gives a great insight into dogs behaviour. its one of the books cesar milan lists as a reference book at the back of his own books. very easy reading. but i would strongly recommend going to obedience classes.
    Great book, he takes lots of info in that from Stanley Coren's--How Dogs Think.

A book by B. Fogle I've found invaluable is Caring for your Dog, very detailed on medical issues and first aid etc.....

Advertisement