Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hinges & Seals on UPVC windows

• 30-08-2011 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

We live in a 30 odd year old semi-D. The windows are UPVC & are approx 15+ years old. They have a black rubber strip around the glass inside & our which has started to recede in certain windows.

It's been recommended to us in advance of the coming winter to get the seals repaired/replaced & also to her the hinges done.

There are draughts & we can hear street noise, but the house isn't the most well insulated/soundproofed anyway.

I insulated & floored the attic last year which made a huge difference to the heat last winter. Would getting the hinges & seals done make a difference & how much is it likely to cost ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

yes i do this for customers and have found it to help alot pm me if you need any help or advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Would appreciate some info on it please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

It shrinks. Pull out the seal completely and put it in warm soapy water for a few minutes then refit, it just pushes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

The hinges resp. their tightening effect can usualy be adjusted with an allen key.

Post some detailed pictures of the windows, their hinges and seals.

Advertisement