Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phorusrhacoid fossil found in Africa!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I recall reading in Scientific American magazine that some phorusrhacid remains were found in Antarctica.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    I recall reading in Scientific American magazine that some phorusrhacid remains were found in Antarctica.

Oh yes, you are right :D My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have the issue at home somewhere. I'll have to dig it up. IIRC it was an isolated half a lower jaw.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I have the issue at home somewhere. I'll have to dig it up. IIRC it was an isolated half a lower jaw.

You remember well... I just checked my personal database XD It was also from the Eocene, like the one from Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I wonder how early these things actually evolved then?

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    I wonder how early these things actually evolved then?

Supossedly they were around since the Paleocene, but, who knows, maybe their ancestors (flying ones, perhaps?) were already around in the latest Cretaceous?

The bird already has a name: Lavocatavis africana.

Advertisement