Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clueless! Help!

Options
  • 31-08-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

So all I have is an Inspiron 1525 that is so full of junk it is becoming more and more useless. How much would it cost to build a pc of comparable performance? Unless this is ridiculously cheap I wont be able to do it unfortunately.Also if anyone could also give me a rough cost for the cheapest most basic spec build possible because if I managed to put one PC together ok I may be able to get the funds together for a higher spec build.
    No need to price monitor, keyboard or mouse but would need to include some OS, windows vista or better.
    On a side note, this current laptop is running a 32bit OS even though I have read that it could run a 64bit. Could/should I try clean this laptop up and change to a 64 bit?

Thanks all in advance and sorry for what reads as a bit of a crazy persons post:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

definitely do a clean install of windows. it'll be like new. if it has more than 3gb of ram I would do it with x64, otherwise I wouldn't bother and just reinstall 32. your licence would cover both 32bit and 64.

what do you plan on doing with this possible PC? you could get one as cheap as €300 and cheaper if you're not gaming. €500 is the sweet spot though for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

TBH Tea, I am not sure what I plan on doing with it. Most of my gaming is on console and I have not learned what people are using there PC's or these days. I wont really be editing any video or music much anymore but would eventually love to set up a HTPC. All I can do on this is sur the net atm, even playing HD youtube vids cause it to lag so cant watch much on it. Pretty sad state o affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

and the poxy F key is dodge:mad: too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

MRTULES wrote: »
    ...I have not learned what people are using there PC's or these days...

Browsing Facebook/Boards mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

If it's the Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop, that's what I have too.
    Mine has a Intel Pentium dual core T3200 2.0Ghz processor
    4GB of RAM
    and some horribly bad graphics.

But it's perfectly fine for web browsing, streaming video, video playback(not sure about full HD though).
    Also I have Windows 7 64bit on it now, runs fine.
    I would imagine if yours is really that slow like Tea said, a clean install will do great things for you.

I have Ubuntu on it too, and it's so fast compared to Windows. It's a good option to anyone that only wants web browsing and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I have Ubuntu on it too, and it's so fast compared to Windows. It's a good option to anyone that only wants web browsing and the likes.

whats drivers like in ubuntu these days? ive an ancient IBM Thinkpad T42 thats struggling under windows to keep it together, and im really thinking about putting ubuntu on it. all it needs to do is browse the web. seriously, that and youtube occasionally.:o

Well I haven't had much issues at all.

When I installed it first there was a little icon in the taskbar area that told me I needed to install some wireless drivers, so I just plugged in the eternet cable and clicked the icon and let it do it's work. Never had any other problems with drivers.

Only one thing I did notice was that flash isn't great on Ubuntu, some videos get these black squares floating across them which can be annoying if you want to actually watch the video :P I'm sure there is some fix for it, but I'm not too bothered by it so never tried to fix it.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    whats drivers like in ubuntu these days? ive an ancient IBM Thinkpad T42 thats struggling under windows to keep it together, and im really thinking about putting ubuntu on it. all it needs to do is browse the web. seriously, that and youtube occasionally.:o
    W
    Only one thing I did notice was that flash isn't great on Ubuntu, some videos get these black squares floating across them which can be annoying if you want to actually watch the video :P I'm sure there is some fix for it, but I'm not too bothered by it so never tried to fix it.

Linux Mint is what you want. It's essentially Ubuntu but with support for propriety drivers. Flash being one of them

It uses KDE though.

I tried installing KDE in Ubuntu and I wasn't a big fan, although I didn't give it a lot of time.
    And it just didn't feel as quick as Gnome.

It uses KDE though.
    No it doesn't. The KDE version uses KDE, for sure. The default UI has always been Gnome to as far as i can remember.

• Advertisement
Advertisement