Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Search is on for crazy pilot who flew model plane at Croker game.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yep, I'm talking about an aerodynamic stall where the nose raises too high then drops down as the wings stall. In a tiny plane like that we're probably only talking falling 20ft. No biggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

the_syco wrote: »
    Seemed to shut the engine off twice, each time whilst looking towards the pitch. Aft er the first time, he turns the engine back on when he looks away, as if so the plane doesn't fly over the pitch, and then he flies towards it and turns off the engine. I think this is done to give an unobstructed view of the pitch.

The motor is turned off because its an electric powered glider, so it spends most of its time gliding, it has about 4 minutes motor run time at full throttle, 8 x 30 second runs, 4 x 1 minute runs etc, which gives about a half hour flight time if no thermals are found or used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Just out of interest as i've done a bit of gliding, how would you know you're in a thermal when you're peering through that camera, is there some kind of variometer that beeps at you to tell you you're climbing/descending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭desodon

pclancy wrote: »
    Just out of interest as i've done a bit of gliding, how would you know you're in a thermal when you're peering through that camera, is there some kind of variometer that beeps at you to tell you you're climbing/descending?

Ya you can get things that detect the altitude and makes the tail wag (changes the rudder) to let you know you'r altitude is gaining. You can turn this on and off remotely.

pclancy wrote: »

When flying the rc glider visually, you can tell when its in a thermal as it starts to climb. You get to know by its movement when its entering one, then just circle around. Sometimes, buzzards can be an indicator of thermals too.

I also hava an FPV setup, where the flight info can be seen on a tv screen in the live view, and it has an audio variometer alright, but i dont use it, it can clearly be seen in the altitude reading that the glider is in a thermal.

In strong thermals it will climb quite fast.

desodon wrote: »
    Ya you can get things that detect the altitude and makes the tail wag (changes the rudder) to let you know you'r altitude is gaining. You can turn this on and off remotely.

Yea thats a type of visual variometer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Evaex

Cool video, thanks desodon. I like how its gliding most of the time.

(The time is wrong on the camera)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Great video.

Nothing "wreckless" or " dangerous" about that IMO.

More police state nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Classic Herald story.

They are shown something on the Internet.

Extrapolate the worst case scenario and "what if's"

Ring up some people they know and ask for their opinion. They give the official line.

Patch everything together in a sensationalist manner.

Doubt if anybody actually knew the plane was up there until after the fact.

Desodun it would really help the Herald if you either a) know "Fat" Freddy b) are one of his accomplices, friends or relations or even better c) are Fat Freddy himself.

Now that would be a headline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

BrianD wrote: »
    Desodun it would really help the Herald if you either a) know "Fat" Freddy b) are one of his accomplices, friends or relations or even better c) are Fat Freddy himself.

Now that would be a headline.

"Garda Chopper Scrambled as Fat Freddy Launches an Aerial Turf War"

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭typera12

Hi lads here's my collection of parkzone planes if you want to buy them here's the website www.rcpitstop.co.uk the range is about 2500ft very rare you would lose signal with them iv been flying them for two years now and never lost the siganl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭TW Mr Tayto

Delancey wrote: »
    Obviously things must be deathly slow at the IAA if they decide a full investigation is needed.
    Pure silly season stuff....

Well they could hurry up and process my PPL(H) flight test application...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

Sure these model planes always find there way home:rolleyes:

http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/3606-0.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

LeakRate wrote: »
    Sure these model planes always find there way home:rolleyes:

http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/3606-0.pdf
    still found its way back to it's spiritual home all on its own. :pac:

Advertisement