Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bank card wont work in hollands atms

Options
  • 31-08-2011 5:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

hi all

my laser/debit card wont work in holland,,it wont work at the atm and give me cash but it will work in a supermarket,bars etc

my sis contacted the bank and they said all is fine

why cant i get cash etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

hi all

my laser/debit card wont work in holland,,it wont work at the atm and give me cash but it will work in a supermarket,bars etc

my sis contacted the bank and they said all is fine

why cant i get cash etc

The Magnetic Strip is probably defective.

The Chip is used now for Shop transactions.

The Strip is used for ATM's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Just bear in mind that if you order a new one, it's probably gonna de-activate the old one. This definitely happens with BOI anyway. So make sure you're sorted for cash for the length of time it's going to take for the bank to send out a new card and for someone at home to forward it on.

number10a wrote: »
    Just bear in mind that if you order a new one, it's probably gonna de-activate the old one. This definitely happens with BOI anyway. So make sure you're sorted for cash for the length of time it's going to take for the bank to send out a new card and for someone at home to forward it on.

Remember as well you have to use it at an ATM in Ireland to activate it first before it will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If your going to spend any length of time in Holland, set up a Dutch bank account, then transfer some money from your Irish account to the dutch account while you wait for the new card to be sent.

It could be 10 working days for a new card to be issued, and longer to get from the bank to home to be sent on to holland, your talking nearly 3 weeks. Thats a lot of cash to have about your person or in your flat.

The banks on the continent do things significantly quicker than in Ireland.

syklops wrote: »
    If your going to spend any length of time in Holland, set up a Dutch bank account, then transfer some money from your Irish account to the dutch account while you wait for the new card to be sent.

It could be 10 working days for a new card to be issued, and longer to get from the bank to home to be sent on to holland, your talking nearly 3 weeks. Thats a lot of cash to have about your person or in your flat.

The banks on the continent do things significantly quicker than in Ireland.

I'd recommend ABNAmro .. great online banking facilities.

I wouldn't agree entirely with your statement though, the banks in Germany are shockingly bad, their expensive, slow and still stuck in the 80s.

Its cheaper to use my Dutch bank card in Germany than it is to use my German Card at an ATM that isn't owned by the bank. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement