Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinnamon rolls

Options
  • 31-08-2011 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Anyone got a good recipe? I know donal skehan has one but just want to see if there's any other ones. Most of the recipes I've googled are American cup measurements and don't specify things like whether its strong flour or fast acting yeast etc.

All I know is there's gonna be lots of cream cheese frosting on top, that's for sure! :)

Doolee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

I make the pioneer woman version. It's based on cups (which TBH I find much easier and faster than dragging out the scales), but she does specify All Purpose Flour and regular dried yeast.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/cinammon_rolls_/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

This is the recipe I use it makes really nice dough just make sure you tighten up the rolls once cut cause they can become loose in cooking and lose filling..pinch together using the light cream or milk. They are so yum, I find a simple icing on top a bit like a danish is the nicest but any kind of icing you like with it is grand. They are fairly big so you could cut them in to smaller sections.

Cinnamon Rolls (Buns) Recipe

Dough:
    4 1/2 - 5 cups (630 - 700 grams) all-purpose flour
    1 package (1/4 ounce) (7 grams) active dry yeast
    1 cup (240 ml) milk
    1/3 cup (75 grams) unsalted butter
    1/3 cup (66 grams) granulated white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon (2.5 grams) salt
    3 large eggs

Filling:
    3/4 cup (160 grams) packed light brown sugar
    1/4 cup (35 grams) all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cold (cut into pieces)
    1/2 cup light raisins (optional)
    1 tablespoon half-and-half (light cream you could use milk if stuck)

Powdered (Confectioners or Icing) Sugar Glaze:
    In a medium-sized bowl stir together:
    1/2 cup (58 grams) powdered (confectioners or icing) sugar
    1 tablespoons half-and-half (light cream)
    Make the glaze thin enough to drizzle over cinnamon rolls.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, combine 2 1/4 cups (315 grams) of the flour and the yeast.

In a small saucepan, stirring constantly, heat the milk, butter, sugar, and salt just till warm (120 -130 degrees F) (49 - 54 degrees C) and the butter is almost melted.

Gradually pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, with the mixer on low speed.
    Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat this mixture on high speed for 3 minutes.
    Replace the paddle attachment with the dough hook (or do the kneading by hand), and knead in as much of the remaining 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 cups (315 - 385 grams) flour until you make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes). (Dough will no longer be sticky to the touch.)

Shape into a ball. Place the dough into a greased bowl, turning once. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double (approximately 1 - 1 1/2 hours).

When the dough has doubled in size punch it down. Place onto a lightly floured surface, cover with a clean towel, and let rest for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the filling. In a medium-sized bowl place the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender, or two knives, until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.

After about 10 minutes, roll the dough into a 12 inch (30 cm) square. Sprinkle the filling evenly over the rolled out dough and top with raisins (if desired). Carefully roll the dough into a log and pinch the edges to seal. Slice the log (roll) into eight equal-sized pieces. Arrange dough pieces in a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch (33 x 23 x 5 cm) baking pan.

Cover dough loosely with clear plastic wrap, leaving room for rolls to rise. At this point you can refrigerate the dough for anywhere from 2 to 24 hours. If overnight, the next morning remove the rolls from the refrigerator, take off the plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. (If you are making the cinnamon rolls immediately, don’t chill dough.
    Instead, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let dough rise in a warm place till nearly double, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.)

Break any surface bubbles with a toothpick. Brush dough with half-and-half or light cream. Bake in a 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till light brown. (Can tell if done by inserting a toothpick into one of the buns, and it should come out clean. Also, if you lightly tap on the top of the buns it should sound hollow.)

If necessary, to prevent over-browning, cover rolls loosely with foil the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking. Remove rolls from oven. Brush again with half-and-half or light cream. Cool 5 minutes and then invert onto a baking rack and re-invert onto a serving plate or platter.
    Can drizzle with the Powdered Sugar Glaze.
    Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 8 rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Thanks so much for that. Can I check with you that all purpose flour is just cream flour ie not strong or self raising? I had in my head that yeast means using strong flour.
    The filling sounds a lot luxurious than the usual sugar/butter/cinnamon I've seen so you're prob right with the glacé frosting being better! Maybe I'll do half the batch in each!

Thanks again:)

SBWife wrote: »
    I make the pioneer woman version. It's based on cups (which TBH I find much easier and faster than dragging out the scales), but she does specify All Purpose Flour and regular dried yeast.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/cinammon_rolls_/

Oh thanks to you too SBWife! Just saw you're reply after posting.
    I must admit cups are great but I can't seem to get my hands on a cup measuring set anywhere and only have a measuring jug with indicators on the side...which means washing it after nearly every measurement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

All purpose flour is the same as cream. Sweet breads don't need the same gluten content as savory bread they tend to have a much softer "squidgier" texture.

• Advertisement

The cups are available in Tesco now, I've always used plain flour.
    I got plastic measuring cups in kitchen compliments but they also have the steel ones which are better, more hardwearing.

The cups are available in Tesco now, I've always used plain flour.
    I got plastic measuring cups in kitchen compliments but they also have the steel ones which are better, more hardwearing.

Was in Kitchen Complements today actually, and no sign. Will try Tesco tomorrow, never thought theyd have such a tool! Youve made my day!
    :)

Any luck finding the measuring cups? I was in kitchen compliments today it's hard to find stuff because it's teeny but they've so much lovely stuff.
    Can never leave there empty handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Any luck finding the measuring cups? I was in kitchen compliments today it's hard to find stuff because it's teeny but they've so much lovely stuff.
    Can never leave there empty handed.

Brennans in cork do cup measurements... I presume you can order them online as well. Was in there on thursday and saw them. I have no connection with the place.

http://www.cookshop.ie/shop/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Home Store and More sometimes have cups. I use the ones I got in the Joseph Joseph set of bowls but I definitely have a set from Home Store and More.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got a set in Tesco, and have seen them in a 2 Euro store. They're all over the place.

Faith wrote: »
    I got a set in Tesco, and have seen them in a 2 Euro store. They're all over the place.

No such luck in tesco Rathmines or kitchen compliments. God I love that shop too but it is teeny tiny, and expensive! I saw a cup measure all-in-one type thing: one biggish sized spoon that you adjust the base of. Hard to explain., but I just want the individual measuring cups. The search continues. I don't think there's a homestore near me but will try €2 store and failing that, arnotts this week. Can't believe you peeps say theyre so available, feels like I've been looking forever!

Thanks for all the advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

For quick cheat cinnamon rolls, just buy some puff pastry, and sprinkle light golden brown sugar and cinnamon all over it, and then roll up tightly and slice into discs, place on a baking tray (covered in grease proof paper) and cook for 20 minutes. When they come out of the oven, drizzle with icing. Yummy! I'm the only cinnamon nut in our house, so its easier to make these for a quick treat.

It's just the way when you're not looking for something there's loads and when you are there's none.

So, I made the cinnamon rolls! Long story short I used a sort of lasagne dish to cook them in cause hadn't a tray big enough to fit them in. I now realise that this was a STOOPID idea cause the rolls in the middle didn't cook totally even though I left them cooking for twice as long as recipe said.
    Do you reckon I could put them back in the oven on a tray and continue cooking them...even though they are cold now and oven is off etc.? Just realised it when taking them apart long after I thought they'd cooked, only tasting a little one from the edge which was yum!

In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, combine 2 1/4 cups (315 grams) of the flour and the yeast

In a small saucepan, stirring constantly, heat the milk, butter, sugar, and salt just till warm (120 -130 degrees F) (49 - 54 degrees C) and the butter is almost melted.

Gradually pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, with the mixer on low speed.
    Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat this mixture on high speed for 3 minutes.
    Replace the paddle attachment with the dough hook (or do the kneading by hand), and knead in as much of the remaining 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 cups (315 - 385 grams) flour until you make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes). (Dough will no longer be sticky to the touch.)

Shape into a ball. Place the dough into a greased bowl, turning once. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double (approximately 1 - 1 1/2 hours).

Makes 8 rolls.

I think I'll just start again. They're for my twin sisters birthday on tuesday so I want them to be perfect so I'm going to go with you're recipe! But I don't have an electric mixer so will it be ok to just persist with a wooden spoon and elbow grease?
    There's quite a bit of work involved and in trying to move house also so under pressure to get these done and in the freezer before move on sat, not sure what new kitchen will be like -still hunting for a place!
    Such a nuisance my last batch didn't. Quite work! Anyway, onwards and upwards!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I've made them with this recipe from here a few times and have generally been ok.

http://www.recipesireland.com/baking/347-cinnamon-rolls

I use half the amount of ingredients as the full amount makes too much and they taste best fresh. This is half; the ball of dough in the bag is the other half which I froze.

The dough using the above guidelines is incredibly sticky so be prepared to add more flour in and for dusting surfaces just so you can work it.

You don't need near the amount of butter mentioned for the filling as it leaks out the bottom easily and ends up outside on the tray. I've not managed to get it right.

If you add in raisins to the filling do it separate from the sugar/butter/cinnamon as it's awkward to make sure they spread evenly.

When rolling the rolls start from the short side for fewer bigger cinnamon rolls and the long side for more smaller ones. I keep forgetting this.

I made the icing as the recipe described but if you can't wait some icing sugar and a teaspoon of boiling water in a cup can do instead but it isn't as nice.

They cook far quicker than 15-20 minutes, often 10 minutes has them golden brown and any longer has them approaching burnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

carleigh wrote: »
    For quick cheat cinnamon rolls, just buy some puff pastry, and sprinkle light golden brown sugar and cinnamon all over it, and then roll up tightly and slice into discs, place on a baking tray (covered in grease proof paper) and cook for 20 minutes. When they come out of the oven, drizzle with icing. Yummy! I'm the only cinnamon nut in our house, so its easier to make these for a quick treat.

This is similar to the Barefoot Contessa's recipe, which I've tried and turned out YUM, but must be eaten while warm or they'll go hard when cool.

Advertisement