Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling

Options
  • 31-08-2011 7:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Just ordered an EVGA X58 Classified 3 board and some Dominator GT ram for a new build and wanted some opinions on a cooling setup. What are your impressions of the corsair liquid cooling systems?

Was looking at something like a H80 or maybe even the H100, has anyone had any experience of these and if so how did you find them for performance and build quality. Are there better performing cooling systems out there at the moment?

All of these are going in a Dell 730x chassis and it will be used to cool an i7 2600k so size might be an issue, how easy are the corsair units to install?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

The motherboard is x58 (1366) but the i7 is socket 1155. They wont work together. Is the case ATX? Most dell cases are BTX, which won't work either.

Besides that problem, I've built a rig with the H80 and its very good, but too loud for my liking. You could always replace it's stock fans though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Thks teabag,

Should have checked CPU
    Compatibilty, gonna have to go with one of the gulftown or Bloomfield chips. How are these in comparison to the 2600's?

in most tasks, the 2600K destroys them. hell even the i5 2500K holds its own against them. I'd see about returning the ram and board straight away if I were you. there is a legit cooling off period for buying stuff online where you can return the items without penalty if within a few days.

benchmark of 2600K vs 965 extreme and you can compare others there too. the 2600k will also overclock very easily and is cheaper all round including cheaper ram, board, etc.

Just cancelled it, any particular high performance boards you'd recommend. Cost would not be an issue.

By the way, the case is atx and will accept up to eATX with abit of modification

bombs away wrote: »
    Just cancelled it, any particular high performance boards you'd recommend. Cost would not be an issue.

By the way, the case is atx and will accept up to eATX with abit of modification
    give us an overall budget and what you'll need (monitor/kb/mouse/OS) and what youll be doing (pure gaming/photoediting/raw video editing/?) and ill throw something up.

if money was no object for me and i wanted somethign flashy it'd probably be the
    "Gigabyte Z68 G1.Sniper 2"

05124117348l.jpg

• Advertisement

Pretty much gaming only, 24 inch widescreen but will probably be upgrading that. Went for the evga as it's alot easier to integrate into an xps chassis. I've been told some of the Asia boards need custom cables to hook up so was looking for a board that wouldn't required to much modding to get it to fit.

budget would be about 2000 in total (motherboard, ram and CPU plus cooler)
    Already have a pair of gtx480's to go in.

Pretty much gaming only, 24 inch widescreen but will probably be upgrading that. Went for the evga as it's alot easier to integrate into an xps chassis. I've been told some of the Asia boards need custom cables to hook up so was looking for a board that wouldn't required to much modding to get it to fit.

budget would be about 2000 in total (motherboard, ram and CPU plus cooler)
    Already have a pair of gtx480's to go in.
    why use that case?

Bought it from new and despite the fact that alot of the inner parts Dell provided were not great, the case itself is well made.

Bought it from new and despite the fact that alot of the inner parts Dell provided were not great, the case itself is well made.
    is it ATX or BTX though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    is it ATX or BTX though?

They're ATX compatable apparently

• Advertisement

Definitely ATX, XPS720's were btx but the 730 is compatible with atx boards

Just out of curiosity what's the difference between the Z68 and P68 boards if any?

Was considering something more along the lines of this now

http://eu.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=160-SB-E689-K2&family=Motherboard%20Family&series=Intel%20Z68%20Series%20Family&sw=5&uc=EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Z68 allows you to use onboard video as well as overclock the CPU where as P67 doesn't allow you to use onboard video.

Z68 also has Intels fancy SRT technology on it, which lets you use a small SSD to speed up the performance of a HDD.

Hi Guys,

As an update to this have decide to go down the route of a completely new build as I'd have too many problems incorporating an z68 board into an xps chassis.

So currently have an i7 2600k and 8gb's of corsair dominator gt 2000mhz ram on order and will be ordering one of the evga z68 ftw boards as soon as they become available on the evga website.

My question is this, I need a few recommendations on chassis. I have my eye on the corsair series, 600T white in particular which looked pretty cool but any ideas as to alternatives would be interesting. As mentioned before cost is not really an issue.

I've got the 600t and its a beautiful case. silverstone fortress ft02 is another interesting case.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I've got the 600t and its a beautiful case. silverstone fortress ft02 is another interesting case.

+1 for the FT02 :)

Advertisement