Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract Delay

Options
  • 31-08-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    Six weeks ago, we agreed to buy a house in the Limerick area. The sellers solicitor has still not produced a contract. Would it be reasonable to pull out from this purchase and ask for our deposit back. This would be a reluctant step but we are beginning to feel uneasy about the delay.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Are the vendors perhaps buying another property, and stringing you along until they get theirs signed off?

Unless they can give you a valid reason for the delay, I don't see an issue with you at least giving them a deadline for them to produce a contract.

Also, as I confirmed recently to my detriment, deposits are a completely meaningless piece of paperwork that any buyer can get returned no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 flittle

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

No, there is no subsequent purchase it has been a holiday home which the seller no longer needs. We will take your advice and go up the deadline route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

6 weeks to closure would be faster than average. I dont see there as being any "delay" here so far.

I think you need to relax a little on this seems your over anxious here.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am referring to the initial production of the contract where one pays the 10 per cent not the closure, sorry if I didn't make that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Get on to your solicitors. They can get the story from the vendor's solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It happened to me with my house. took about 10 weeks to get a contract. turned out to be a problem with the Family Home declaration. Sometimes deeds are in banks, paperwork is missing, people are on holidays etc. so it can take some time to get a contract. Sometimes a phone call to the EA that you will be coming in for the return of your deposit speeds things up.

Good morning,

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Happily our solicitor received the draft contract yesterday afternoon.

Advertisement