Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New School Year & 'that' Teacher

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'm beginning to think that these schools should just provide a list of the 2-3 food items that are allowed. The list of allowed foods is probably a lot shorter than the list of banned foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Wantobe wrote: »
    Frubes, runny yoghurts etc are frowned on in our school too as they are too messy. For dairy, I give them cheese. Anyway they can have yoghurt at home so it's no big deal. I usually include a sandwich of some kind or pasta salad, cheese, fruit and crackers. That's plenty to keep them going.

Sometimes keeping to the schools policy is a bit of a pain especially when you know what you're giving them is part of a healthy varied diet but there are enough alternatives out there to give plenty of choice and I keep reminding myself that the class size is around 30, so I think I would rather make the teachers life easier whatever way they want! I don't envy them controlling 30 kids eating and I think our schools teachers are really great.

Neither frowned on nor banned as already stated and my son's class size is a whopping 7 kids. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Peppa

gra26 wrote: »
    My son started 3rd class this year and has moved to the senior part of the school- essentially it's a new school. In the junior school no yoghurts of any kind were allowed and no treats except on Fridays. Not sure what the story is with the new school is re healthy eating but I'm guessing it's the same. Sent him off to school this morning with a homemade carrot and cranberry wholemeal muffin (which he loved!) and I would laugh if they said it's not healthy. Of I was asked not to sent in buns of any description fine, but if it's healthy what's the issue.

@ gra26 could you pm me this recipe please? I am so stuck for healthy lunches!

I believe it should be up to parents. The school should only step in (discretely) if they feel certain child/family need guidance.

In a lot of cases the teachers/schools can be just as ignorant as to what constitutes healthy foods.

The experts don’t help either as they keep publishing conflicting articles as to what is “good” or not. I think more concise labelling/advertising would be more beneficial to us parents in helping us chose.

Personally I don't believe in the term “unhealthy foods” - it’s a matter of moderation and all food is to be enjoyed. I come from a family with both bulimia and anorexia; therefore, I try to be very careful how I portray foods to my children.

Advertisement