Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GrapplePalooza 2011- The Elite

• 31-08-2011 10:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Here are the confirmed invitees for the Grapplepalooza Elite tournament to be held in Dublin City University Sports Complex on October 22nd at 8pm (doors 7.30pm).

1) Darragh O'Connail: Ribeiro Jiu Jitsu

2) Arek Sternalski: SBG

3) Chris Bowes: Braulio Estima

4) Clive Staunton: SBG

5) Sebastien Torres: Torres Jiu Jitsu/ Cia Paulista

6) Wayne Fagan: BJJ Revolution

7) Tom King: SBG

8) Ryan Smith: Alliance/BJJ Sligo

9) Andre Ramos: Morcegao Sapo Team

10) Martin McLaughlin: Cobra Martial Arts

11) Richard Gorey: Pedro Bessa/BJJ Cork

12) TBC

13) Heavyweight Qualifier 1

14) Heavyweight Qualifier 2

15) Lightweight Qualifier 1

16) Lightweight Qualifier 2

I am awaiting final confirmation from a last invitee (Number 12).

Tickets to spectate will be priced at €20 and will be available from next week onwards from myself or the gyms involved.

If you think you have what it takes to qualify for the Elite tournament and to compete for the grand prize, then enter the advanced division of Grapplepalooza . There will be 2 advanced categories, heavy and light (cut offs to be determined by level of entries) and each of these will yield 2 qualifiers. If you have not been living in Ireland for a minimum of 36 months, or are not a citizen of the Republic or Northern Ireland, then you may enter the advanced division but should you place in 1st or 2nd, your qualification spot will be given to the next highest placed competitor.

Please keep this thread solely for the discussion of the Elite tournament or qualification for same. The daytime tournament can be discussed and queried in the other Grapplepalooza thread.

Thanks and regards!

Barry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Please keep this thread solely for the discussion of the Elite tournament or qualification for same. The daytime tournament can be discussed and queried in the other Grapplepalooza thread.
    Thanks and regards!

Barry

'cause sometimes they miss the small print Barry!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Great Barry! Gonna be awesome!!

Surprised not to see Mark Curry or Ciaran Toal on the card though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Great lineup!

Anyone offerring odds :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

No sign of Andy Ryan, Jk,Graham K, Liam B, Fegal Q, Paddy Carmody?

Good line up just surprised the above are not in an "elite" tournament.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

All offered and either politely refused or didn't respond :). "One for the young ones" was the common cry. Most of those guys are pretty dedicated to building their gyms now and coaching rather than competing, or had prior commitments either personal or competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

I can appreciate the difficulty in putting something like that together, but since some of them have competed very recently I would have just thought they would have been active enough. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

who is reffing?

No legislating for pregnancies or personal circumstances though Dave!

On the night there will be 2 referees. One will be Andy Ryan and I'm waiting on confirmation from ref number 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

Predictions?? More importantly, will there be enterance music?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Yep... being trying to juggle this, ....but with the arrival of the first new born only weeks away,hard juggling !

• Advertisement

Yeah Michael Jackson tried that baby juggling before and look what the press did to him that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 KDavern

id luv to see charlie ward in the elite division,i think hed do really well in it..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Yeah Michael Jackson tried that baby juggling before and look what the press did to him that time!
    you have my update Oglesbaby...

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

Hi Barry, Jorge Santos (black belt in legions BJJ) may be competing in the advanced division during the day. Would he be allowed enter the elite evening competing as a qualifier were he to win?
    (he has not been living in Ireland for 3 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭TEAM RYANO

no dave im lucky to compete once a year at most like you full of injures
    i wouldnt be able to compete with these young athletes .
    ill be there helping out ,looking forward to it
    cheers andy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you have not been living in Ireland for a minimum of 36 months, or are not a citizen of the Republic or Northern Ireland, then you may enter the advanced division but should you place in 1st or 2nd, your qualification spot will be given to the next highest placed competitor.

Thanks and regards!

Barry
    kdowling wrote: »
    Hi Barry, Jorge Santos (black belt in legions BJJ) may be competing in the advanced division during the day. Would he be allowed enter the elite evening competing as a qualifier were he to win?

Doesn't look like it!

It is as he says kdowling. Looking forward to see Jorge compete but the rules on eligibility are firm.

Regards,

Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Provided he stays injury free Jorge will definitely be there for the day comp. Was looking forward to a match between himself and Ramunas for king of the leglockers but looks like due to jorge way down in weight and Ramunas tryna move up that it wont happen:(

As for the Elite competition my own prediction outta the announced names Ill go for either arek or wayne fagan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Whoever wins the Elite will have beaten some awesome grapplers. I cannot wait for this!

I like Chris Bowe in this but it could go any way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

I am torn between 4, Darragh O'Connail, Chris Bowe, Arek Sternalski and Tom King. I Reckon two of these will make the final for sure. Chris Bowe is the safe bet, not only has he got the skills, he also has the size to back it up!

Also would have liked for maciek and nerijus to be Incuded, Maciek is incredible, beyond comprehension rolling with him and nerigus needs no introduction. But alas SBG can only have so many people in the tournament.

Looking forward to an incredible show!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

I'm slightly biased but gotta go for my man Darragh with Chris a close second. Will be a good comp and interesting because a lot of these guys have trained together, some all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

Think darragh is a great shout, its nogi and the matches will be long so i think someone who can finish matches will go far. if it was gi id say chris bowe but still think he will defintley be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jitz

Would really have liked to see Ciaran Toal on this list, think he would give any of the competitors a good match. Some awesome grapplers, so it will be a great day either way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I think a qualifier will do well and get to the final.

It is as he says kdowling. Looking forward to see Jorge compete but the rules on eligibility are firm.

Regards,

Barry

can't wait for this tournament, should be awesome.
    quick question about eligibility.
    the quest to find IRELANDS best grappler seems a little null and void now that some of the top guys are not competing. With three non irish already in the elite division it seems a little unfair to allow a brazilian thats here for three years and not allow a brazilian thats here for one year. it would be more understandable if you wanted exclusively irish competors.

i'm new to the bjj world so i hope i'm not overstepping the mark here but i'm just wondering what the thinking behind it is. I recon having the likes of gera and jorge santos in the competition would really strengthen the field and make it even more interesting. I'm sure darragh would love a rematch with gera and the irish guys would also benefit from fighting top quality opposition that they would normally have to go abroad for.

anyways that just my view as a newbie looking in and i hope my question doesn't cause any offence as I am aware that these tournaments take a lot of time and committment to organise so i don't want to be disrespectful to the organisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I agree, if you live here and some foreignersare allowed then let all that live here compete-either go by nationality or just go by residing here.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72359907

from the above thread in May when GrapplePalooza was begining to take shape...

"I am putting a firm and concrete residency rule in place. Just FYI, every rule is fairly arbitrary in any case, but I have to draw a line somewhere.

1) If you are an Irish passport holder, you automatically qualify for the 16 man tournament.
    2) If you are a British Passport holder whose place of birth on your passport shows a county on in Northern Ireland, you automatically qualify.
    3) If you are not an Irish passport holder, but have been resident on the island of Ireland for no less than 36 months, then you qualify subject to proof of that residency.

Rule 3) is in place to allow those who have made a significant contribution to grappling in Ireland to compete even though they may have been born elsewhere,

I hope that clears everything up. Don't bother debating this as it's hard and fast.

Barry "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Id be inclined to agree with Paul if they won their own division in the day competition why not give them one of the spots available. Considering Jorge and gera have competed every chance they've got since arriving in Ireland and do seem to be committed to helping develop bjj and grappling in Ireland.
    But its Barrys competition and he should be able to run it whatever way he sees fit.

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72359907

from the above thread in May when GrapplePalooza was begining to take shape...

"I am putting a firm and concrete residency rule in place. Just FYI, every rule is fairly arbitrary in any case, but I have to draw a line somewhere.

1) If you are an Irish passport holder, you automatically qualify for the 16 man tournament.
    2) If you are a British Passport holder whose place of birth on your passport shows a county on in Northern Ireland, you automatically qualify.
    3) If you are not an Irish passport holder, but have been resident on the island of Ireland for no less than 36 months, then you qualify subject to proof of that residency.

Rule 3) is in place to allow those who have made a significant contribution to grappling in Ireland to compete even though they may have been born elsewhere,

I hope that clears everything up. Don't bother debating this as it's hard and fast.

Barry "

yes, but it looks like those rules were set in place with the hope that all of irelands best grapplers would be involved. now that some of them are not competing it seems irrelavent to have a ban on some people.

I'm going to butt out of this on this last point.

take for example if andre wins the elite. He would not be irelands best grappler as he is not irish, nor would he be the best grappler living in ireland, he would be the best grappler living in ireland for more than 3 years!

• Advertisement

Firstly there's no such thing as a disrespectful question when it's phrased politely, so thanks for the interest in the tournament.
    the quest to find IRELANDS best grappler seems a little null and void now that some of the top guys are not competing.
    I disagree. As far as I can tell I'm only missing one of Ireland's top, active competitors off that list, Paddy Carmody who has prior commitments in the UK. Literally everyone else who is competing regularly at a high level and winning in Ireland and the UK is in there.
    With three non irish already in the elite division it seems a little unfair to allow a brazilian thats here for three years and not allow a brazilian thats here for one year. it would be more understandable if you wanted exclusively irish competors.
    You may not have seen the original debate on this so here's essentially the lowdown on the 36 month residency rule: The rule was brought in to allow Irish and Northern Irish competitors, as well as foreign nationals who have made a long standing contribution to Irish grappling, to compete for a grand prize. In other words, those who are either or Irish or have done a significant chunk of their training here in Ireland. Thus the tournament will be representative of the grappling talent that exists through training here on this fair isle.
    i'm new to the bjj world so i hope i'm not overstepping the mark here but i'm just wondering what the thinking behind it is. I recon having the likes of gera and jorge santos in the competition would really strengthen the field and make it even more interesting. I'm sure darragh would love a rematch with gera and the irish guys would also benefit from fighting top quality opposition that they would normally have to go abroad for.
    I'm sure that rematch will happen at some stage on the competition circuit.
    anyways that just my view as a newbie looking in and i hope my question doesn't cause any offence as I am aware that these tournaments take a lot of time and committment to organise so i don't want to be disrespectful to the organisers.
    If one's asking it then 20 are thinking it so thank you for raising your concerns and giving me the opportunity to explain it further. If this tournament sells well I may just do it again next year and perhaps the residency rules can be re-thought at that stage.

Regards,

Barry

take for example if andre wins the elite. He would not be irelands best grappler as he is not irish, nor would he be the best grappler living in ireland, he would be the best grappler living in ireland for more than 3 years!
    Yes. I think I explained this enough. we can argue semantics all day. If I had limited it to Irish nationals only people would say "ah but he didn't include the Brazilians/The Polish/The Armenian guy who can heel hook a horse" and so on.

Back on topic, I'm delighted to announce that number 12 in the Elite tournament will be:

Liam Beechinor (Pedro Bessa/BJJ Cork)

That completes the line up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Great news! Gwan Liamboy!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

That's a serious number 12 right there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

yes, but it looks like those rules were set in place with the hope that all of irelands best grapplers would be involved. now that some of them are not competing it seems irrelavent to have a ban on some people.

I'm going to butt out of this on this last point.

Yeah but using that logic if I won a gold medal in the 100m race in the olympics I'd simply be the best out of those who bothered showed up or tried to qualify...So it's a grey area.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

Have to admit I'm liking Sebastian or Martin for this myself though everyone else are kickass grapplers. It'll be cool to see who comes out on top overall :D

Tickets for the Elite tournament are now available priced €20. Full bar, DJ and every ticket is right beside the mat! Come and support your clubmate or just come for the entertainment!

I'm doing special prices for clubs or groups of 5 or more. Get in touch.

Tickets still available. €20 from me so get in touch quick to book yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Diab Soule

Will there be tickets for the Elite competition available on the day, Barry? Can I book a ticket with you here (I'll be competing during the day anyway so I will be there)?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

I'm going to this, and you should too, it's going to be awesome!

Here's BJJ.ie's take on the 12 men entered so far into the elite tournament.

http://www.bjj.ie/2011/10/21/grapplepalooza-the-elite-competitors-2/

See you there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

dasmoose wrote: »
    I'm going to this, and you should too, it's going to be awesome!

Here's BJJ.ie's take on the 12 men entered so far into the elite tournament.

http://www.bjj.ie/2011/10/21/grapplepalooza-the-elite-competitors-2/

See you there.

Great write up by BJJ.ie, hope to see a post event breakdown of the matches too.
    I'm really excited about this now.

PS Off topic. Really enjoyed your roll with Chou and the commentary

Was very impressed with Adam Gricha one of the advanced qualifiers for tonights event think he could be a dark horse for the finals, beast of a wrestler. Good luck to all involved, will be an awesome night of grappling:)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

Any update on how the elite division is going on?

slammer187 wrote: »
    Any update on how the elite division is going on?

http://twitter.com/#!/barryoglesby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Well done to Richard Gorey on taking bronze :)

Sounds Like

1. Bowe
    2. Daragh
    3. Gorey
    4. King

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Sounds Like
    1. Bowe

Thats my brother :), he's coming back to waterford this weekend and asked me if I wanted to train with him, I havent done BJJ in 6 weeks ..... this is gonna hurt :(

get him to get ya a few pints too he's hit the big time

• Advertisement
Advertisement