Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rebel Tour 2011

• 31-08-2011 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Anybody going for this?

I was thinking at doing the 50KM, maybe the 80KM... certainly not the 150KM.
    it would be my first challenge :)

Registrations are now opened.

http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/routes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I'm going down to do the 80k. I've done the Meath and Waterford legs of the An Post series already this year and they were both great. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

Someone already put the route for the 80k up on RideWithGPS:-
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/492384

It's certainly hilly enough, but no major climbs just a bunch of short sharp shocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I'm going down to do the 80k. I've done the Meath and Waterford legs of the An Post series already this year and they were both great. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

Someone already put the route for the 80k up on RideWithGPS:-
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/492384

It's certainly hilly enough, but no major climbs just a bunch of short sharp shocks.

thanks, it looks doable. At the moment I'm doing about 52k return for my commute and I could try the 80k. Being 80k in one go I'd be just quite concern about my a*se though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Signed up for this. My first sportive ever. Got a road bike in June but had been mountain biking for two years so 80 km sounded like a good challenge. Although training went to pot in Aug due to a gastro bug and a new baby. Looking forward to it though. Anybody else do this last year? Hints appreciated.

sham2 wrote: »
    My first sportive ever.

Same here... and looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I'll be doing this can't wait. Will
    Do the 150km doesn't seem too bad compared to others such as the west cork 200 :) or the Sean Kelly 160

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

I was wondering why the routes are 10km shorter than last year but noticed that they are starting from CIT this year rather than Grand Parade. I think that is a good decision as there was a large number of junctions to negotiate on the way out to the Bandon Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Where abouts in the city is CIT - is it out the Western road direction near UCC ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

CIT is in Bishopstown, across from Fás!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dafman

Lads was planning on doing the 80km but was wondering would a fella be pushing it to be leaving Cork at 2.00 sharp .Need to be driving at 2.00 .Is parking pretty restricted at start/Finish.

dafman wrote: »
    Lads was planning on doing the 80km but was wondering would a fella be pushing it to be leaving Cork at 2.00 sharp .Need to be driving at 2.00 .Is parking pretty restricted at start/Finish.

from the FAQs
    Is there free parking? Yes, on Saturday 10th of September a limited number of parking spaces will be provided for all participants at CIT.
    http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/faq_s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

I did the SK 90k in 3h16m, so you might be okay. ;)

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Where abouts in the city is CIT - is it out the Western road direction near UCC ?

I wanted to find out exactly where it was too and had a hard time figuring it out until I hit on this strategy.

+ Go to the route map they supply <here>

+ Click on the Start/Finish point

+ When the message bubble appears click on Directions

+ The exact location should be filled in as destination so just put in your start location (eg: Bandon Road Roundabout) and you get a lovely blue line telling you exactly where to go. That suits me since I'll probably be on the south ring road anyway but you can always see what Google suggests as a route from anywhere else you want.

In both previous An Post tours I did we had to park quite a distance away from the start line. However I was turning up relatively late (ie: all the long distance cyclists and a lot of the mid-distance cyclists would have already parked by the time I got there). If you are willing to turn up early, meaning well before the 160k start time, I'm sure you will be able to park quite close.

Only you can say whether you will be able to complete the 80k in 4 hours or not. If you are concerned you can do things like carry enough food that you can skip the food stops if there are queues there and skip the queue for the food/cert at the end.

lads thanks for info regarding parking etc.On cycle website is states 10.30 am as start time for 80 km route on the route page but in the FAQ page under "what time does event begin$ it states 10.00 as start time for 80 km .Which time is correct as 1/2 hr could prove vital to me at end of tour in effort to get out of city by 2.00.

I'd bet it's a 10am start since the 160 starts at 9am. You can always start early if that's not the case. You may as well contact them directly and check though.
    If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact The Cork Sports Partnership on 021- 4665081.

info@corksports.ie

Facebook

Also, it appears that the 50k doesn't start until 12:15 so that doesn't really fit with your 2pm finish time either.

just rang there now and start time is 10.30 for 80 km route. Pity now as time will be scarce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

signed up for the 80k route, maybe the 10k would have been more in my range!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

I was thinking of registering for the 80K too. I did the SK50 and really enjoyed it and another charity 50K before that. I'm fairly new to cycling but I really enjoy it so I'm hoping I will be able for it. What ye think?? :confused:

go on, i'll give you a push up the old head! (of kinsale) tis my first year back cycling after a 20 year break, reckon its a bit premature to consider a 150spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

Does anyone know is the 80k as hilly as the waterford 90k last weekend?if not i'll give it a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

From what I've been told its not as bad hill wise as the Sk90. That's what I'm hoping for anyway - all will be revealed on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

thinking of the 80k despite not being on the bike since the end of June! Any info on the route would be great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Elevation profile from the 80k route I mapped on ridewithgps. Total ascent 1034m. There are no killer hills on this route in my opinion.

route-histogram-492384.jpg

Route is anti-clockwise.

full.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

anybody got the longer route mapped trying to make up my mind to go for it or sticking with the shorter thanks in advance

Just got my virtual participant pack and it contained this note...
    Please note 80km Route Participants
    The loop of the Old Head of Kinsale is not officially on the Rebel Rider route however for the extra 4.5km it is well worth doing as the scenery is quiet breathtaking. Participants may do this at their own choice.

Anyone able to give instructions on how to do this (eg: instead of going left at blah go up the hill on the right and follow the road around) or let me know if it's so obvious even I couldn't go wrong.

I did find a likely looking spot on the map but it's more like 20k out of the way instead of 4.5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

On the most southerly point of this route, you'll notice the extra grey "loop" of road. That's the extra bit.

You pass Garretstown beach, then Garrylucas beach (both on your right), and carry on straight. There's a slight incline up. The official route (and main road) takes a 90-degree left hand turn, and there's a by-road straight on, with a cottage on the corner beside you. Carry on straight up instead of going left. Thats all. Have a look on google maps and streetview maybe.
    full.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I did the 80Km last year and it's basically the same route, the only difference is the start and finishing point in the CIT.
    It's slightly easier than the sk 90 from last week, hilly but nothing too cruel. Around the Old head of kinsale is a long drag of a hill and the coastal breeze makes it tough but quite manageable.
    Otherwise its ok, looking forward to giving it some welly and bettering my time of last year. :D

Thanks Hans, that looks easy enough to figure out, hopefully I have the mental fortitude to add the extra 4.5k on the day.

:)

would be well worth the view, crap surface though on the extra bit as far as i can remember. The toughest hill should be after the passing under the viaduct a few k into it, after that nicely undulating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Long route:

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/355902

Is the surface really bad? It may influence what wheels I use as I'll cry if I wreck my new ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭adodsk

The surface isn't too bad generally, although the coastal section from Timoleague to Ballinspittal sticks out in my mind as a boneshaker with large stone chips used as the wearing surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Gunth

adodsk wrote: »
    The surface isn't too bad generally, although the coastal section from Timoleague to Ballinspittal sticks out in my mind as a boneshaker with large stone chips used as the wearing surface.
    This section is very poor but is only a few miles long but is one of the most scenic parts of the cycle. Make sure you have padding in your gloves. The surface is pothole free just extremely rough . The only consolation is that the prevailing wind is a tailwind.

Thanks lads. By that stage I'll be hallucinating anyway so a bit of rough road and great scenery will be just the order. New wheels it is then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Hi Folks,

I just found the info about the Rebel Tour Event and I am fancy going for it.
    I am still very new to cycling (I started this season), but I completed the Comeragh Challenge 160km on SKT without major problems.
    I would like to know from your own experience how the Rebel Challenge 150km compares with the SKT 160km? I would like to go for it, but not sure if I am ready for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Much much easier than the SKT, mostly rolling roads with no major climbs to speak of. go for it!

• Advertisement

An anyone recommend any nearby b and b or hotels? May be going down with the family and the places we normally head for in cork like garryvoe are too far away. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

cork airport hotel would be close enough to the start in cit,bout 10 mins by car.

Thanks but my wife will kill me if I book them into the airport!

Plenty of b+b's on the western road which is about 2 Km from the cit, jurys hotel is a 10 min cycle from the cit. Google will give u a huge selection.
    The cit is in Bishopstown if you want to be very close, mostly house rentals out there though for the college students.

if the budget would stretch to it, Hayfield Manor might see a return on your outlay with the wife!

• Advertisement

Thanks for suggestions. Found a place in Kinsale so they can watch us cycle through and enjoy a great town. There's some advertising conference on so there's not much availability. Fingers crossed I don't blow out before I make it there.

As an aside, does anyone have an idea of the expected numbers? (and expectations of parking on Saturday morning)

if the budget would stretch to it, Hayfield Manor might see a return on your outlay with the wife!

After a 150k cycle!

do the 10k, and spoil her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Opted for the 150Km option. I know the 80km won't test me, so I thought, hey if the 150km is so shiit, I'll just turn around :) (but I love a challenge!).

do the 10k, and spoil her!

With 4 kids already she'll insist I do the 150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Ashleey

have signed up so see u there. My first rebel tour....

Great. Me too. Looking forward to it. Just got to get some training in. I'll be looking to be dragged to the finish again no doubt!

wind was fierce around Southlink today, hope it dies down, or it will be some struggle up the hill after viaduct, we'll be blown backwards to CIT!
    See ya'll saturday.

Forecast for the week isn't great :(. Looks like waterproofs for us next sat :confused:

was the forecast by the muppets who told us the end of August would be nice?:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement