Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rebel Tour 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Well Radio Telefis Eireann. Oh i get your drift, suncream handy as well so ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

wind was fierce around Southlink today, hope it dies down, or it will be some struggle up the hill after viaduct, we'll be blown backwards to CIT!
    See ya'll saturday.

That hill isn't too bad really. Small drag. I'd worry about the wind blowing the other way for the way back. Cycle that road a fair bit so I'd pray for head wind on the way out not the way back, especially after 150k in the legs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

i'll be grand, I'll only have 80 in mine!:)
    i hope there'll be pies there

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dafman

lads can anyone fill me in with regards to the sizing of the jersay that is in goody bag .Are they tight fitting from previous years .I am normal build 5 foot 9 ,80.5 kgs .Dont want to end up with something that I have to be poured into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

I just signed up for the 80 km, this will be my first organised cycle event, looking forward to it.
    For those that done the ride last year just watch out for the slight change in the route from Innishannon to Ballinadee and a very small change when leaving Kinsale.

Here's the route I done up on MapMyRide, might be of some use.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/43059128

I live near Kinsale and I often cycle around the area of the Southern part of the route so if anyone is like me and may not be the most proficient of cyclists, a word of advice would be to take the food stop at Ballinspittle and also catch your breath as you're passing the beaches at Garretstown because there is a long uphill drag just after them and it can be quite tough. It isn't the steepest of hills but it drags on for almost 4 km so just be ready for it.

Does anyone know if there will be any kind of traffic management through the centre of Kinsale because that can be quite hairy sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

jinkypolly wrote: »
    I just signed up for the 80 km, this will be my first organised cycle event, looking forward to it.
    For those that done the ride last year just watch out for the slight change in the route from Innishannon to Ballinadee and a very small change when leaving Kinsale.

Here's the route I done up on MapMyRide, might be of some use.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/43059128

I live near Kinsale and I often cycle around the area of the Southern part of the route so if anyone is like me and may not be the most proficient of cyclists, a word of advice would be to take the food stop at Ballinspittle and also catch your breath as you're passing the beaches at Garretstown because there is a long uphill drag just after them and it can be quite tough. It isn't the steepest of hills but it drags on for almost 4 km so just be ready for it.

Does anyone know if there will be any kind of traffic management through the centre of Kinsale because that can be quite hairy sometimes.

:eek: What have I left myself in for?? I am very new to cycling, have done a few 50 km and decided this would be a nice challenge! Now I'm thinking it will be torture :(

sibeen99 wrote: »
    :eek: What have I left myself in for?? I am very new to cycling, have done a few 50 km and decided this would be a nice challenge! Now I'm thinking it will be torture :(

No, it's not that bad, there's downhill bits in amongst that 4km. It's just that for anyone battering along after they leave Ballinspittle they might be best advised to relax and save their energy for the slightly tougher bit to follow. It's by no means torture, it will give you a nice wee challenge, so don't worry.

No, it's not that bad, there's downhill bits in amongst that 4km. It's just that for anyone battering along after they leave Ballinspittle they might be best advised to relax and save their energy for the slightly tougher bit to follow. It's by no means torture, it will give you a nice wee challenge, so don't worry.

Jinkypolly I really hope you are right about that!! Am starting to think I've bitten off more than I can chew :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No can do for me now. I'll be there next year, next year... :(

• Advertisement

dafman wrote: »
    lads can anyone fill me in with regards to the sizing of the jersay that is in goody bag .Are they tight fitting from previous years .I am normal build 5 foot 9 ,80.5 kgs .Dont want to end up with something that I have to be poured into.

i'll wear it for you for a few minutes and stretch it nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

Don't worry Dafman there is normally a room to try on the jersey and change it. if it is too big you can swap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dafman

Thanks Hu deman,that good to know.Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Good news for some people that have their minds unsettled or due to their still unknown circumstances:

"Extended Closing day for receipt of postal or online registration
    registration is now open until 10am on Friday, 9th Sept 2011".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Signed up for the 150k lastnight, no going back now!

Hi, does anyone know if I can have my registration pack collected by someone else? I think I may be a bit stuck for time on Sat. Is it definately 10.30 start for the 80K?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I plan on getting a friend to sign on for me on Friday evening as he'll be close by. I can't see why there'd be a problem with this.

Thanks, I'd hate to miss out on the goody bag!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Just reading website - did anyone receive anything in the post?

aquanaut wrote: »

Just an email recipt and info. Pick up the goody bag, etc. on sign in that morning or the previous evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Dubba wrote: »

Just an email recipt and info. Pick up the goody bag, etc. on sign in that morning or the previous evening.

What time does the sign in run too on the Friday night?

• Advertisement

CptMackey wrote: »
    Dubba wrote: »

What time does the sign in run too on the Friday night?

150km Rebel Challenge CIT (Nexus Student Centre Building), Friday 9th September (5pm – 8pm) or CIT (Nexus Student Centre Building), Saturday 10th September (7.30am – 8.30am)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Col Man

Hey guys, still considering which distance to sign up for. Wondering if anyone could help.

I think I could ride 150km, but it wouldn't be too easy for me, and I certainly won't be breaking any time records... Would it be a problem if I wasn't too fast? Like I'm not abysmally slow...

I've done 110km in one day before. Took a while, but it didn't feel like that was the limit of how far I could go. Also I'm not terrible with hills, been around Blessington a few times... I realise this is rather sketchy information, but yeah I don't want to sign up for the 150km and then fail miserably!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Col Man wrote: »
    Hey guys, still considering which distance to sign up for. Wondering if anyone could help.

I think I could ride 150km, but it wouldn't be too easy for me, and I certainly won't be breaking any time records... Would it be a problem if I wasn't too fast? Like I'm not abysmally slow...

I've done 110km in one day before. Took a while, but it didn't feel like that was the limit of how far I could go. Also I'm not terrible with hills, been around Blessington a few times... I realise this is rather sketchy information, but yeah I don't want to sign up for the 150km and then fail miserably!

If you've done 110 solo, you'll have absolutely no problems with 150 in a group. Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Well, if you fail, don't worry because I'll be right behind you - Similar situation in that I've done 100km in Spring and hardly broke 50km all summer.

Go for it!!! I've only been cycling up to 50k and am a newbie to cycling but I am going to attempt the 80 (and maybe even the extra 4.5KM :eek: ) There is no time limit so just go with the flow and enjoy it! You will only be sorry if you settle for the shorter distance and end up thinking 'I could have done the 150!'

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

First half going to be tough!!

RealFeel®: 13°C
    Winds: SW at 40km/h
    Wind Gusts: 83 km/h

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pleader

Funkyzeit wrote: »

Not so good!! :(
    Just out of interest where are you getting those forecasts from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Accuweather is rubbish! (I hope). It's sunny here in Kilkenny after appalling weather. If it can just stay like this for 3 more days....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

What kinda gear are lads wearing for this?

I'm thinking bibtights, dryflo and airjack jacket with rainjacket in arse pocket and maybe shoe covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pleader

ashleey wrote: »
    Accuweather is rubbish! (I hope). It's sunny here in Kilkenny after appalling weather. If it can just stay like this for 3 more days....

I've been using yr.no for forecasts and it has been very accurate. Has it reasonably ok for Saturday.
    Hoping this is the case..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Funkyzeit wrote: »

Sitting in nicely then Pat, no doubt?

Going for normal gear and bringing shoe covers and rain jacket for back pocket. Hopefully they can stay in the car. Wear a long sleeve underneath and hopefully no need for the tights in September.

Thanks for the tip on yr.no. Got rid of accuweather and its stupid mobile ads

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Been using yr.no for two years and have found it invaluable for picking one or two hour dry slots for rides. I found it very accurate but no forecast is perfect. Sat has changed all week from lashing rain and gales to now it's saying .5 mm rain and partly sunny. Cmonnnnnnnnn the sun.
    Going with base t, jersey, rain jacket in pocket, arm warmers, overshoes just in case and can't decide on full tights or bibs.
    Good luck to all. Can't wait.
    Oh it's going to be windy.

needed tights tuesday, twas baltic.
    roasting today around lunch, colleagues got sun burnt at work, and then cloudy but warm in afternoon.

any body here in the group on Coachford rd. today? around 1.30 passing Inniscarra bar.....

I have a few questions troops.

1) Where is the registration. I'm not that familiar with CIT other than knowing I turn in at the mini roundabout on Melbourne Rd, what building do I go to?
    2) Should I be taking in plenty of carbs today (Friday) or should I be OK eating normally, I'm doing the 80km ride?
    3) Is there a bunch start or do you just head off when you are ready?
    4) Should I take food with me or will the food stop be enough? Also if I do need to take food what should I take?
    5) A few guys here have mentioned carrying a raincoat in their back pocket but the one I have would be too big (slightly bigger than a water bottle when rolled up), any tips on where I could stow it, my under saddle bag has no room for it.
    6) Am I taking this too seriously.

Thanks for any help lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I have a few questions troops.

1) Where is the registration. I'm not that familiar with CIT other than knowing I turn in at the mini roundabout on Melbourne Rd, what building do I go to?
    Registration closed at 10 AM today. Didn't see a mention of and specifics regarding location in the CIT. Presume there'll be signs or something to indicate this.
    2) Should I be taking in plenty of carbs today (Friday) or should I be OK eating normally, I'm doing the 80km ride?
    If you haven't yet registered eat as you normally would. I'll be having a pasta party ;)
    3) Is there a bunch start or do you just head off when you are ready?
    Everyone cycling the 150 starts together at 9 (I think) and the times are different for the 80 and 50.
    4) Should I take food with me or will the food stop be enough? Also if I do need to take food what should I take?
    Sufficient food will probably be provided. No harm in stiffing a banana or flapjack into a jersey pocket.
    5) A few guys here have mentioned carrying a raincoat in their back pocket but the one I have would be too big (slightly bigger than a water bottle when rolled up), any tips on where I could stow it, my under saddle bag has no room for it.
    Jersey pocket.
    6) Am I taking this too seriously.
    How seriously are you taking it?

Thanks for any help lads.[/QUOTE]

Posted elsewhere on this thread, the signon is as follows: "150km Rebel Challenge CIT (Nexus Student Centre Building), Friday 9th September (5pm – 8pm) or CIT (Nexus Student Centre Building), Saturday 10th September (7.30am – 8.30am)". I presume it's the same for the 80km.

If I do bring a proper rain jacket (bulky, like yours), it'll be strapped to the bike (I'll have a shower-proof one in the pocket in any case).

I'm not familar with CIT layout, but googlemaps (on CIT's website) indicates up towards leisureworld, on the left hand side.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&hl=en&msa=0&msid=102417993307152611228.000456740214ce0225595&ll=51.885154,-8.537385&spn=0.004636,0.012231&z=16&source=embed

Here are your opportunities to sign on for your event:
    10km Rebel Pedal Family Fun Cycle
    Grand Parade, Saturday 10th September from 12pm
    50km Rebel Cruise
    CIT, Friday 9th September (5pm – 8pm) or
    CIT, Saturday 10th September (10am – 11.45am)
    80km Rebel Rider
    CIT, Saturday 10th September (9am – 10am)
    150km Rebel Challenge
    CIT, Saturday 10th September (7.30am – 8.30am)

Got this in the email after registration, so for the 80km sign on until 10am :) which is not too bad. I'm sure CIT will have plenty of directions on the day. Won't be long now....
    fingers crossed for some nice weather though!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for the help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just one thing on the food, don't bring anything you haven't eaten before e.g. someone may recommend a power bar but it could turn your stomach, also plenty of water today would be good. If eating today, I generally don't eat after four hours to bed as I get better sleep. Me personally, I'll be having a vindaloo this evening, I always do before a sportive and will drink in the car on the way down. I'm also playing fooball later and I'm assuming I'll be in a looball in the morning.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

fingers crossed this rain clears up anyway

Just back from sign-on (which btw is signposted). Is it just me or is there no water bottle in this year's lucky bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Im out of the picture for tomorrow. Gutted. Family stuff so thats my sportifs for the year (unless I find another one soon) - any suggestions for near the south east?

Just back from sign-on (which btw is signposted). Is it just me or is there no water bottle in this year's lucky bag?

No water bottle but a Lucozade Sport drink was, same as the Sean Kelly Tour.

Jersey is nice tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Im out of the picture for tomorrow. Gutted. Family stuff so thats my sportifs for the year (unless I find another one soon) - any suggestions for near the south east?

fermoy next week,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74211372

also blasket/conor pass challenge on same weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭hughmace

There is one coming up in castlecomer Kilkenny run by Deenside lad & girls I think!!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

hughmace wrote: »
    There is one coming up in castlecomer Kilkenny run by Deenside lad & girls I think!!

16th October I think, was a fantastic day out last year, plenty of videos of last years event on youtube too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Both of the previous mentioned have nice routes, I love going up and down the Vee the way the Fermoy route goes and the Castlecomer 100km is also a nice route, Seán Kelly is there this year.

I'm off to leaba now, 5am alarm.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I'm in Kinsale now. It's not raining but roads are wet. There's some serious hills out of here to the finish! Fingers crossed it's dry tomorrow. It's fairly warm at the moment

• Advertisement
Advertisement