Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rebel Tour 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

ashleey wrote: »
    I'm in Kinsale now. It's not raining but roads are wet. There's some serious hills out of here to the finish! Fingers crossed it's dry tomorrow. It's fairly warm at the moment

Ah there only bumps really.

I saw a late registration desk when signing on earlier for those who missed online registering but are still be interested in doing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm off, this is crazy, hopefully the weather will clear up by the time I get to Cork

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

The trees are sideways but it's not raining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Down near Kinsale at the moment, quite blustery and overcast, looks like we might get some drizzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Jerseys are a v.large fit. If anyone would like to swap their medium for a large, let me know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Drizzle, showers, wind. Well thats Ireland for ya. No place for sugarlumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Home. Tried to stay with the lead group from the off, finally got dropped between Bandon and Dunmanway. I really should have let them go well before then as I was chasing to get back on all the time and when I did let them go, I was in no-mans land for a while. Was completely knackered at that stage, and felt like sh!te the whole way to Timoleague.

The tailwind really picked me then though, I got a second wind and I felt great coming home.

So now I can say I really enjoyed it and thank the organisers for food and marshalling. If you asked me around 10am, you'd have got a completely different answer!

I turned off the course at Fivemilebridge, rolling time 5.04 for 150.9km distance covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/113220690

Good day out. Total time 4.59, cycling time 4.55.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/113235388

Moving Time: 04:41:36 Elapsed Time: 05:39:10
    Distance: 145.01 km (didn't turn on the Garmin for the first 7km or so)
    Ave: 30.9km

Good day out alright, fecking windy tho.
    Got a puncture between Timoleague and Kinsale. Thanks to the fella who stopped to loan me his pump. Note to self - bringing co2 canisters alone is not enough, bring mini-pimp next time :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

My first sportive - 27kmph/5:27 moving. Quite happy with that considering I had done absolutely no training for it.

That bastard wind sucked the joy out of the first half. I ended up in no group for most of the ride (stopped off outside Bandon and lost the lead group).

The organisation of the event wasn't bad, but I couldn't believe that they ran out of water at the second stop.

• Advertisement

Jerseys are a v.large fit. If anyone would like to swap their medium for a large, let me know :)

True, but the medium is a bit on the small side (I though so anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Great spin today good course plenty of food. Still sand in my ears after passing the beach in Garretstown the wind was unreal today was very tempted to stay at home when I heard the rain hitting the window this morning. At least it stayed dry while we were out got a shower when i was driveing home and had to slow down to 30mph only once have i seen it as bad. 1 negative was some of the stuff I saw going up the hill after Kinsale in the traffic people passing cars on the inside and outside when cars coming from other direction Idont know how some of them didnt get flattend.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Home. Tried to stay with the lead group from the off, finally got dropped between Bandon and Dunmanway. I really should have let them go well before then as I was chasing to get back on all the time and when I did let them go, I was in no-mans land for a while. Was completely knackered at that stage, and felt like sh!te the whole way to Timoleague.

glad I caused you some pain :D that was me at the front from the viaduct hill to bandon. still my legs were suffering from Clon onwards and I didnt peform as well as I would have liked on the climb out of clon and on the old head. Still Strava puts the suffer score for the ride in the epic range, so at least the heart got a thorough good workout ! got a nice tow from 3 lads from fermoy for a nice stretch to the start of liberty hill (ballinhassig), so thanks for that, at least that meant I had a bit of juice to push on and try for a kom on strava on that segment, felt I did ok, but well short of a kom, boo hoo:mad: Tough day in the wind I think all would agree !

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

My first sportive doing the 80. 85 including the old head loop. Did in 4hrs exactly rolling time. Not bad considering I did no training for various reasons.
    Hightlights were the sea view over the crest after ballinspittle and the wind sandblasting my face along garretstown beach.

That was some pull at the front seve65 for what the first 30km :eek:
    I tried a turn at the front but overcooked it and got spat unceremoniously out the back :o

That was me who loaned the pump and I'm glad you got going again.
    Spent most of the second half on my own moving from group to group and sometimes backwards!
    Great spin and was on borderline of serious leg locks due to cramp because of hurricane katia.
    Made it back in 4 hr 51 with which I'm pleased given the wind.
    Highlights were a front wheel wobble in a cross gust of wind at 65 km/h on the last descent from Kinsale to Cork, and the cold shower at the end!
    I won't be able to sleep with the flashbacks!
    Thanks to Captain Havoc for getting us organised for the middle third and sorry I left straight away at the end. That rain shower wasn't normal

By the way, who said it was a flat course! Got 1160m ascent on my garmin for the 142km that it was running for. Maybe the wind caused it to lock up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Well I have to say I really enjoyed that. It was my first ever event and I'm fairly happy with my performance, I done the 80km in 3h 15min moving.

One point that confused me was that leaving Kinsale I seemed to be on the road on my own. The route went the backroad through Brownsmills and out through the back of Belgooly but it looked like other riders were taking the main road out of Kinsale. I thought I'd really fecked up as I didn't see a sole on the road for a wee while.

Overall it was a great day out, well done to the organizers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

seve65 wrote: »
    glad I caused you some pain :D that was me at the front from the viaduct hill to bandon. still my legs were suffering from Clon onwards and I didnt peform as well as I would have liked on the climb out of clon and on the old head. Still Strava puts the suffer score for the ride in the epic range, so at least the heart got a thorough good workout ! got a nice tow from 3 lads from fermoy for a nice stretch to the start of liberty hill (ballinhassig), so thanks for that, at least that meant I had a bit of juice to push on and try for a kom on strava on that segment, felt I did ok, but well short of a kom, boo hoo:mad: Tough day in the wind I think all would agree !

So it's you I can blame! Our Strava times are the exact same up Viaduct Hill, but the times on the climb back to Kinsale would show the difference in fitness.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Me and my buddy were the first in for the 80k apparently. We arrived to an empty CIT and asked what was going on, and they said we were first in :D Delighted with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

Finished the 80 in 3h45 and was pretty happy with that considering the wind! Well done to all who finished.

BTW when I went to sign on only XL jerseys were left :( Anyone want to swap a small for it?

The final An Post of the year and they will be sorely missed in the long winter months. Decided to have a lash at the 80 Km and enjoyed the day, felt a bit lonely without sean and enda there, god knows enda has been at every other cycle this year so thumbs down for that. :p
    We avoided the rain for the most part, just back about 20 mins and that mini storm hit, but there was no avoiding the wind, it was up there with the burren, and the sand blasting along the old head was surreal.
    The view coming from garretstown onto the old head was savage, surfers heaven!
    The tail wind back to Cork was a welcome relief, a few of us got together and floored it,under an hour from the old head to the cit, broke up a bit on the Bandon road but a great effort by each guy and indeed 1 cailini.
    Thanks to An Post and Sean Kelly for another great series, all the marshalls, sandwich makers, support crews on the roads and everyone involved, looking forward to Next year already. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭thehangtenguy

Enjoyed the spin today, rolling time of 5.50 on the 150. Very windy but road surface was fairly good and the event was well organised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

sibeen99 wrote: »
    Finished the 80 in 3h45 and was pretty happy with that considering the wind! Well done to all who finished.

BTW when I went to sign on only XL jerseys were left :( Anyone want to swap a small for it?

i got xxl ! i took up cycling to get away from xxxx,, am L or M at the moment ! but epic spin deserves a jersey no matter how big or small!!!

aquanaut wrote: »
    Im out of the picture for tomorrow. Gutted. Family stuff so thats my sportifs for the year (unless I find another one soon) - any suggestions for near the south east?

check a few listed at

www.wexfordwheelers.com

basically one in castle dermot on 16 october and one in carrick on sunday 11 septemebr

• Advertisement

There's one in fermoy next weekend. I'm hanging up my bike for the winter though. Training spins only. And only if it's sunny. Didn't see you today Michael. You were probably way ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

was going to try the 150 chickened out with the weather and did the 80 doing the loop the wrong way round.
    thought the sea view was great around garrettstown.
    the food stops were unreal more like going on a picnic when compared to the only other run i was on [the clare etape]
    found the signs around ballinspittle poor
    putting away the bike for the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'm missing the top layer of skin from the right side my face from being sand blasted at Garrettstown. Savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pleader

Did the 150km today in 5hrs 20 mins so happy enough with that considering it's the first time I've gone over 125km.
    Conditions for the last few km were tough especially with the amount of traffic on the roads.
    Seen a few people come down. Hopefully all were not seriously hurt.
    Overall have to say it was a great day out. :)

ashleey wrote: »
    There's one in fermoy next weekend. I'm hanging up my bike for the winter though. Training spins only. And only if it's sunny. Didn't see you today Michael. You were probably way ahead

no Ashleey, , arrived late, driving into carpark at 5 to 9, hoping the speechs would drag a little , 150 group had left but i started to chase, and eventually found a group to travel with.

thought the loos in Dunmanway were mad.... a full loo with no dividing partitions or walls !!!

then the wind surfing near kilbritain I think was spectacular, and the sandblasting at kinsale.

the wind made the event very tough. up and over was crazy, a lot of people were not applying it at all !!

hooked up with a man on a cannondale hybrid , pushing the biggest gear on the bike, coming into clonakilty.. his knees must be worn out at this stage...

enjoyed it , but as end of season was quite tired for the whole event. Think there is one or 2 more left in me.. but the tank is very nearly dry !!

• Advertisement

I'm missing the top layer of skin from the right side my face from being sand blasted at Garrettstown. Savage.

exfoliation ....

I'll have to even up the LHS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Ended up doing this on my own, buddy had to cancel due to work commitments.

Food stops were great, signage was lacking in some areas but was generally fine. Fairplay to the organisers and volunteers, thanks for a great day!

This was my second time doing this kind of mileage, really enjoyed it except for the wind, bit of an eye opener though, really have to do more training!

Heres my attempt anyway, cadence sensor wasn't lined up properly til Dunmanway http://connect.garmin.com/activity/113342994

I was nervous when I saw the ambulances lined up at the top of the hill on the n71 at the end down into cork. Hope everyone got down safely. It was a really well run event with perfect food stops. Thanks to all the organisers and volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

michael196 wrote: »
    i got xxl ! i took up cycling to get away from xxxx,, am L or M at the moment ! but epic spin deserves a jersey no matter how big or small!!!

Very true michael! Its just a shame that we won't get that much wear out of them - unless i grow a bit(or a lot!!):D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Battered by wind , Rain, Sand , . Really nice route this one nothing to steep . Did the 150km 29avg happy with that . Some shower of rain in the last few km, well done to all .

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fintydingdong

Anybody have the website to see the official photos?

A great day. Very enjoyable. The spin from Kinsale back was lovely. The only thing i was disappointed with was the food back in C.I.T. 80K and all you get is a bloody cookie and a bottle of water. I was hoping for more.

Anybody have the website to see the official photos?

A great day. Very enjoyable. The spin from Kinsale back was lovely. The only thing i was disappointed with was the food back in C.I.T. 80K and all you get is a bloody cookie and a bottle of water. I was hoping for more.

I had to forego that cookie - I was all sandwiched out. No major loss. Wasn't much going on it CIT all the same. Don't know what I was expecting but...

any idea on that site for the photo's? I know i had it in the pack when i registered but lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

www.sportcam.net is the site, they are not up yet.really enjoyed yesterday just thought there could have been a few more marshalls in places. well done to all the organisers

• Advertisement

Thanks Hu Deman

How the organsers and sponsors An Post provide a jersey, food and support vehicles for just 40 euro is beyond me. the jersey alone is worth 40 euro. I guess an post are outtting in serious dough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd say the jerseys cost about €20 and the sponsors would pay for that and more.

i ate abot €40 worth of sandwiches; they're at a loss after me!

Hu Deman wrote: »
    www.sportcam.net is the site, they are not up yet.really enjoyed yesterday just thought there could have been a few more marshalls in places. well done to all the organisers
    They were on the Ring of Kerry cycle,and other events as well, usually wednesday or thurs before pics appear.

michael196 wrote: »
    How the organsers and sponsors An Post provide a jersey, food and support vehicles for just 40 euro is beyond me. the jersey alone is worth 40 euro. I guess an post are outtting in serious dough.
    No appearance money for enda:p, dunno why he's in office, imf and eu are calling the shots, he just rubber stamps. :D

A heavy rain shower and cold showers killed the chance of a party atmosphere which is no one's fault really. With the jersey, lucozade, energy gel and sandwiches and bananas and biscuits I'm not complaining. Try the sky etape and see the difference. Let's hope an post and the Irish sports council go for it again next year.

I went to bed fairly late the night before, as some of you know by my postings. Got up a few hours later at 5am, most of stuff was pre-organised for once. As I was getting out of the bed, I could hear the rain rapping off the window, so I decided to pack all types of gear in the car as I knew the weather could be anything between a heatwave and a blizzard at 9am.

I leave my home a couple of minutes to six and I'm in CIT for a couple of minutes to eight. Immediately after signing on I meet Ashleey and we stick together for most of the trip but unlike what he said, it was more him hauling my ass than the other way around.

I decided to wear our long leave sleeve jersey which is really snug on cool days and will still keep you warm if you get wet, as the weather was fairly mild but the rain was threatening. On the way out of Cork we had a couple of minutes of rain. We started at the back but we decided to get near the front to avoid getting into a slow group that'd keep us going around all day. On the way out of Cork, there's a bit of a drag, by the time Ashleey and myself get near the front after jumping through a few groups, we see another group ahead that would just kill us to try and reach in that wind. I still went up front and was shattered going into that wind and gave up fairly quickly. We were going to be into the wind until the foodstop, located at Dunmanway, about 55km in.

I was nearly responsible for taking down a) Ashleey and b) the entire group near Cross Barry. The group was still fairly large and we were on a country road, up ahead there's one of these folding metal warning signs that was put out and the rider to my left was heading straight for it, it was a bit late been called (or I hearing it) and I had to swing to my right to let the other guy in. Whilst going right, I went straight into Ashleey, thankfully he stayed up. I did give a call, I was about to do it.

Ashleey and myself keep in with this group, later I did another short stint at the front which really killed me and I went out the back. I got into another nice pace line shortly after, gave it socks and I was out the back again but only a short distance from the Dunmanway foodstop so I decided to take it easy.

Dunmanway foodstop was nice, I had pasta and a sandwich washed down with a lovely cup of tea. We set off again, we get ourselves organised into a paceline for a bit, Ashleey and myself would stay for a good bit together with a guy from South Africa. We split up again and it would be my turn to wait for Ashleey at the next foodstop in Ballinspittle (I think). Going by the beach was fun, all that wind and sand, a bit of wobbling going on. As the day warmed up, so did my body, I wished I had of brought rain gear instead of my long-sleeved jersey as at least I could've put a rain jacket in my pocket. I was starting to melt.

At the foodstop I realised that I'm doing this whole cycling thing wrong. The shorter 80km route joined us at the foodstop and the amount of ladies doing it. There was a long queue waiting for the tea so I just grabbed a water and a banana. We were off again, not long down the road, I get a puncture, Asheey checks that I'm OK, I assure him I that I am but when I said that, I didn't know that I wasn't. I brought two gas canisters with me, one was the wrong one (durrrggggghhhhh) and the other was a used one I hadn't put in the bin (duurrggggghhhhh). Thankfully a nice gentleman, who I didn't catch up with later, loaned me a pump. I didn't pump it up too much as I had an adapter to use in a petrol station, which I did in Kinsale.

Later on up the road, the shorter route joins in and it was nice to see children enjoying a cycle with their family. I was really starting to get tired, by the time we reached the last hill, I was struggling, a larger girl on city bike wearing GAA shorts over takes me. It then starts to rain, I go to push but there's not much there. For the final decent it's lashing, the way in at the main roundabout which is controlled by lights, loads of cyclists go through the red light, I don't know if it's an attitude of lack of respect for the rules of the road or whether they thought they had the right as they were part of an organised event but it downright foolish and disrespectful to other road users, nearly causing an accident.

Got back to CIT over six hours after I started, Garmin says I was 5h22 rolling. It was nice to meet some other boardsies. On the way home, I was so shattered, I had to pull over on the motorway for a snooze.

Overall, I think the route was a much better route than when I did it two years ago. Some people complained about the location of the start/ finish. I thought it was fine but due to the foolishness of human nature, it probably would be best to start/ finish outside of the main city. Food at foodstops was grand but the queues for tea were a bit much. I personally feel anything which involves the gathering of people should be set up as though everyone who is coming is a complete idiot and cranky, they will shout at you and call Joe Duffy if anything goes wrong, that way, you'll think of everything that can go wrong.

Here's my stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭hughmace

I have a medium I would be willing to swap with you

Ta
    Hugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

hughmace wrote: »
    I have a medium I would be willing to swap with you

Ta
    Hugh
    Hugh,
    Did you get sorted? I have a xl that I wouldn't mind swapping for a medium

Advertisement