Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish / English Travellers

Options
  • 31-08-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭

It seems all the english Travellers stay in Ireland, and all the Irish Travellers stay in england and Norway. Anyone have any idea why this is? Why they don't just be travellers in their own country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Clue's in the name really.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I met Irish pikeys in Germany 15 years ago - so no, it's not that way.

IBTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

the_syco wrote: »
    Why they don't just be travellers in their own country?

Was this posted from a caravan upholstered in periwinkle blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mikom wrote: »
    Was this posted from a caravan upholstered in periwinkle blue?

He was blinded by the sunlight bouncing off the chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Dunno if I'm alone in this, but I've never met/heard of English travelers in Ireland. The Caravan types that is, not the ones that fall onto Ryanair planes for a few days stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Redlion wrote: »
    Dunno if I'm alone in this, but I've never met/heard of English travelers in Ireland. The Caravan types that is, not the ones that fall onto Ryanair planes for a few days stay.

I'm the same. Ne'er seen an Ingerlish lot over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I'm the same. Ne'er seen an Ingerlish lot over here.

Ballinasloe Horse Fair. Like a trip to Mecca, only for travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I know some English travellers that came over here years ago, and tried to get on the Fishguard ferry with all of their tarmaccing trucks and equipment. They were refused, so went off to the Holyhead ferry and got on that one instead. I've never seen or heard of any others coming here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

We're all human beings at the end of the day boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I watched the film-doc called "Knuckle" last week.

A journalist followed the travelers around for 10 years, giving a insight in to their life and family feuds etc. I really enjoyed it well worth a watch.

Travelers from Ireland sometimes move to England for work. Just like many Irish settled people do. I'd imagine having a caravan as your home in this situation is great. Bring your home with you and not feel as homesick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sitec wrote: »
    I'd imagine having a caravan as your home in this situation is great. Bring your home with you and not feel as homesick!

My niece described them as 'adventure people' after I explained about traditional Traveller lifestyle!

I thought it was kinda sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

My niece described them as 'adventure people' after I explained about traditional Traveller lifestyle!

I thought it was kinda sweet.

Sulky racing on roads, bare knuckle fighting, trespassing - Sweet alright!

Tis our culture Boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭patmac

Very confusing English travellers over here and Irish ones over there, handy for collecting the dole possibly in both countries allegedly, maybe throw in the odd Norwegian payment and it's a nice way to make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

patmac wrote: »
    Very confusing English travellers over here and Irish ones over there, handy for collecting the dole possibly in both countries allegedly, maybe throw in the odd Norwegian payment and it's a nice way to make a living.
    Hard to collect the dole without a birth cert or PPS number in a lot of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

/ traveller thread.

Move on, nothing to see here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement