Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aero Bars on MTB Why?

• 31-08-2011 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

On my evening spins I meet a guy on a nice Giant Mtb with Aero Bars and in the drops! What would this be for? (sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldnt find anything)

I recently purchased some bars for my road bike and am loving the new dimension it has added to my rides!

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

He regrets buying a mtb instead of a time-trial bike and he's just making do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Comfort? I know someone who commutes on a hardtail but has aerobars on it for the extra hand positions they give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I spotted one guy on a hardtail as well heading up the swords road with aerobars on a few weeks ago. He had a bag on his back with high-viz gear and looked as if he was commuting. I'd imagine it would be quite comfortable as there'd be very little bumpiness or vibration due to the fat tires and front shock absorbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Aerobars and front suspension. Shudder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Lumen wrote: »

I can see the point though. You lose the bent elbows suspension when they are resting on the aerobars so you feel the bumps a good deal more.

Oh, and commuting armchair is the business...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I can see the point though. You lose the bent elbows suspension when they are resting on the aerobars so you feel the bumps a good deal more.

Oh, and commuting armchair is the business...

MTB geometry is long and TT geometry is short. So you end up with your elbows/wrists in completely the wrong place for comfort.

Better to just get a road bike and develop some core strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

maybe he just wanted to be different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

maybe he just wanted to be different

Some folk go with hair colour, some with aero-bars on their MTB. So I guess he is being different, differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Lumen wrote: »

sounds like he needs deep section carbon wheels to complete the look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Raam wrote: »
    Some folk go with hair colour, some with aero-bars on their MTB. So I guess he is being different, differently.

a true hipster :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement