Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Natural Light

• 31-08-2011 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to get some extra natural light into my living room. There is a large South/SouthWest facing external wall, but due to planning reasons I cannot have windows in it.

I was wondering if there is a wall mounted version of those light dome things you sometimes see fitted into roof's?

Does anybody know if such a product exists?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

For sure you could put a light tunnel through, which I think is what you are referring to but really all it is is a window with a diffuser on the outside. You could also put a skylight on there, but it's really just a window. It could be pretty ugly too.

You could put some high level windows in it, about 7ft up, and you could obscure these if necessary.

You could also arrange the windows so that they allow light in from above, but do not afford a view. This has the advantage of looking almost like a plain wall from outside, if nicely done.

A glass brick wall could also be a possibility.

It is possible to get these things through planning. A trip to a planning consultant and some negotiation with the neighbout is probably in order before you spend any construction money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

would a dome light tunnel or skylight not require planning permission though,as you are altering the structure and appearance of the external wall????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks for the replies guys,

'Anto' could you explain more about this:
    "You could also arrange the windows so that they allow light in from above, but do not afford a view."
    I am not sure I fully understand.

Paddy, I am not sure about PP, I have installed 40 solar tubes a sky dish and a WiMax receiver on the same external wall/roof, none of which required PP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I mean that you can point the lights upwards at say a 45 degree angle. Obviously this means that you have to hang it out from the wall and put a slope on the wall. I can't easily find an example but I will do a sketch if you don't see what I mean.

I would be very careful about planning in this situation. As soon as you open the wall, the neighbors are likely to raise an issue and since there is a condition in the planning and since the development is quite close to their boundary (I am guessing). It could create quite an unpleasant situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Prospect
    You could put in glass blocks at high level in room. I do not know if they could be classed as a window !!!!!!!!. Check it out ??
    North West

• Advertisement
Advertisement